PDA

View Full Version : Possible Photomatch......

kylehess10
10-15-2006, 09:41 AM
I just purchased my second game worn jersey from jerseydave and I think a may have photomatched it. It's a Charles Johnson 2003 Colorado Rockies jersey and even though the picture is light and it's hard to see most pinstripes, I believe I still found a match. I really hope it is a match because the picture was taken the same day he hit his 6th home run of the season. So lmk what you think:

kellsox
10-15-2006, 02:36 PM
inconclusive

intheminors
10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree, inconclusive.

MVP
10-15-2006, 04:02 PM
I agree...no way to tell from that photo.
henry

Rob L
10-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Very hard to tell from the photo, but based on the photo, I would say no. It appears that the lettering/numbers on the sleeve appear to have been sewn on as a patch in the photo (the pinstripes don't look like they go all the way through) whereas they are imbroidered directly on the jersey. Also, the right foot of the "R" appears to actually end on a pinstripe in the photo but goes through the pinstripe on the jersey. However, based on the fact that the picture is light and the jersey is wrinkled in the photo, it is very tough to tell.

Rob L

gameused
10-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Kyle,

I made the photo darker and enlarged it. It looks like a match to me! Can you make your jersey photo that you took larger?

Thanks, Bobby

kylehess10
10-15-2006, 08:41 PM

flaco1801
10-15-2006, 09:21 PM
you guys are kiddin right? right?

kylehess10
10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
you guys are kiddin right? right?

ok, tell me where it doesn't match then

jessicawinters
10-16-2006, 11:30 AM
That is an insult to photomatching.

sylbry
10-16-2006, 11:57 AM
This is a past comment from Rudy on using the logo to photomatch. He wrote them in regards to an item I asked about being a photomatch. I think it applies here.

i wanted to chime in with a small caveat. in general, it can sometimes be misleading to just match up pinstripes and the front team logo because often the manufacturer will sew the logo on in the same place on tons of jerseys. the logo is always the same size on every jersey and the pinstripes are always the same distance apart so there's a good likelihood that the front logo and pinstripes will often match up. that is, they may have standardized the application of the logo in that way. (not always though). as for the front numbers, the pinstripes will sometimes be used as a guide in aligning the numbers. for example, they'll decide to always sew the first number beside the 2nd pinstripe. here's an example of what i mean:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=854

if you want to line up pinstripes, your best best is to do it with the arm/body seams and the back of the jersey. the back will have both the name and numbers which offer far more of a unique situation for matching pinstripes. if you can score a photo of the back of hunter, i'd say that would be the nail in the coffin.

what i do find unique in these photos are the seam matchups and the fact that the twins logo and front numbers seem to pucker in the same places as shown in the getty photos. notice the specific puckering in the "T" and in the "4" in both photos.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
10-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Kyle
I totally disagree that this is an insult to photo-matching. It is hard to tell from the photos. If every pinstriped jersey is different (number and lettering placement, etc.) then, it is a photo-match. The Russell logo overlaps the stripe in the same place. Find different White Sox player photos from the same season-if they match, then you should have doubts. At any case, its a sweet jersey and you've discovered the fun of researching you're own collection.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

sportscentury
10-16-2006, 01:26 PM

Wow. This is quite a strong statement.

kingjammy24
10-16-2006, 02:14 PM
the gist of photomatching is that you've found a number of markers that are so unique that there is little doubt that 2 items are the same. (not just the same style, but literally the exact same item).

as sylbry quoted me saying, i don't think that matching up the front logo provides a unique enough marker. here's a 2003 danny neagle jersey from jim yackel that illustrates my point:

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7967/rockiesci1.jpg

the logo, patch and even the russell "r" seem to have the same markers as the charles johnson jersey.

if you really want to be confident you've got a photomatched jersey, then just matching up the logo is insufficient (and misleading). the only way to genuinely claim a photomatch would be to match up the back letters and numbers. additionally, matching up the front numbers and various seams would be ideal. keep looking for photos kyle, you may hit upon it.

rudy.

kylehess10
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
the gist of photomatching is that you've found a number of markers that are so unique that there is little doubt that 2 items are the same. (not just the same style, but literally the exact same item).

as sylbry quoted me saying, i don't think that matching up the front logo provides a unique enough marker. here's a 2003 danny neagle jersey from jim yackel that illustrates my point:

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7967/rockiesci1.jpg

the logo, patch and even the russell "r" seem to have the same markers as the charles johnson jersey.

if you really want to be confident you've got a photomatched jersey, then just matching up the logo is insufficient (and misleading). the only way to genuinely claim a photomatch would be to match up the back letters and numbers. additionally, matching up the front numbers and various seams would be ideal. keep looking for photos kyle, you may hit upon it.

rudy.

Wow, your right. It looks just like it. Thanks for posting that

Yankwood
10-17-2006, 09:27 AM
I think it's a match for sure.

sportscentury
10-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Kyle,

Looks like a very nice jersey. May be the one in the photo, just can't tell from the pics. A true photomatch is one that leaves no question. I would describe the in action photo as "photographic support," but not a photomatch (at least not the way we have been using the term on the forum). Rudy has the right idea, though ... keep looking and you may turn up a better photo to match to your jersey. Best of luck with a very nice shirt.

Reid