PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Kid Experience and Value @ Cleveland Indians Games

dplettn
06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I recently had the good fortune to bring my family to visit friends and the Indians’ Progressive Field in Cleveland. I had heard good things about the Kids Zone at Progressive Field. The actual family experience was extraordinary, and was a bigger and more important surprise than the Indians sweeping our favorite team.

I was astonished by the batting cages, the wiffle ball area, the photo service, the speed pitch, the climbing wall, the craft area and a play room filled with High Def TVs and walk outs to mezzanine seating. It was all FREE with a game ticket and it was done with ample staffing and total elegance… well, except for the part they tricked my youngster into thinking a temporary tattoo of the Cleveland “C” could also stand for Cincinnati J

My own family loves everything baseball and the baseball themed stuff was better than being at a theme park. But the Indians also have craft areas, clean BIG toys that kids could not just play with, but ON…. all sorts of stuff. If we’d had anybody that didn’t like baseball we could have literally had our whole group together with some doing non-baseball themed stuff and others watching the game with a great view. The kids area was huge and in spite of the unusually large crowd for the Intrastate Rivalry there wasn’t any overcrowding…. reasonably priced food inside the kids area too.

I’m sure we’ll find a way to make the trip to Cleveland again next year. The experience has me wondering whether there are any other similarly unfathomable kid focused areas at other ballparks that I might want to visit with a young family. Any recommendations ?

Also, for families making the trip to Progressive Field or simply going to a first Indians game I’d recommend picking up a game used base, bat, ball, or lineup card from the game. The displays and service were exemplary. The Indians have a standalone display outside of the Team Store and then another bigger selection in the back of the Team Store (pretty much behind home plate per my memory).

As a Cincinnatian, I've long enjoyed a competitive rivalry Cleveland. In this case, I must tip my hat! Exemplary!

sox83cubs84
06-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I've never been up there (I don't have kids) but the White Sox have an area called Fun-damentals at U.S. Cellular Field, above the back of the LF grandstand.

Dave Miedema