PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson 3,000th Hit / Tony Gwynn final game - GU Base

esquiresports
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
When I recently picked up some Tony Gwynn items from his foundation, I had the chance to pick up the set of bases used in Tony Gwynn's final game. This is the same game where Rickey Henderson got his 3,000th hit. A pretty amazing combination.

I believe this was one of the first times MLB used special logo bases (they did with Ripken as well). This was before MLB saw the dollar signs.

The set of bases comes with an LOA from Gwynn himself and the bases have the MLB hologram - except for second base. My guess is the Hall of Fame or Rickey took the original second base and MLB didn't bother authenticating the replacement.

Pictured is first base - the base that technically gave Rickey 3,000 hits (it wouldn't have mattered if he had gotten thrown out at second base). Third base is signed by Tony and that's the one I really wanted.

Generally speaking, is there much of a market for noteworthy game used bases? I am pretty new to memorabilia and haven't seen many bases come to auction.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/TonyGwynn-HendersonBase.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/TonyGwynn-HendersonBaseBack.jpg

Marrdar
06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
I hope so! I have 2010 World Series game used bases. I am thinking about getting them signed by Giants players. Any one on the board have thoughts on this?

MLB~NUT
06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
They are to someone who collects bases!!!

jbean023
06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
I agree with the other guu member, bases are valuble to someone who collects bases. I have 1st,2nd, and 3rd base from 3 different Cubs games that I have attended. I think thats usually the value is thats a neat item for a fan that doesnt attend many games or wants a part of Wrigley Field,Fenway, etc. Other than that I would say the big value bases would be when base stealers hit a milestone but I am sure most of those they keep or are in the hall of fame. I think bases are great for a collection though thats why I have a few but they only have 2-3 hours of history behind them usually is the only thing that bothers me. I think they should use the same bases for a whole homestand unless a milestone happens.