PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat tacky if you ask me... Twins

RJB44
06-25-2012, 12:54 AM
The current Hunt Action is offering a 1975 retirement jersey that was presented to Harmon Killebrew during an onfield ceremony on May 4th 1975. Looking at the jersey and reading the description, its obvious that there was a number change, a poor one at that. What strikes me as odd is that this jersey is coming from the Killebrew family and therefore probably has been in their possession since May 4th 1975. So this leads me to believe that the Twins presented Killebrew a recycled jersey with terrible number change. Although its obvious on the front side, its hard to tell what the number change looked like from the B&W photo. Regardless, seems pretty cheap that the Twins would present such a jersey to Killebrew. You would think they would have a new jersey made up or at least have one of his actual game used jerseys in storage. They couldn't even frame the one they gave him. Just seems a bit tacky and disrespectful if you ask me. This isn't what I would expect at a "Number Retirement Ceremony"

http://huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=37&lot_num=119&lot_qual=

RJB44
06-25-2012, 01:12 AM
The '75 Set 3 thing is odd as well. Was jersey made for Killebrew for '75, but since he was released in January, they just added a number and reissued it? That really doesn't make sense for several reasons. Also, IMHO the back #3 in the B&W has been laundered several times.

They should have given him a new (or original #3) jersey in a nice frame.

sox83cubs84
06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't underestimate the tightfistedness of owner Calvin Griffith when he ran the Twins. Jersey worn by players were frequently recycled, sometimes for several years and/or players. I recall seeing the equipment truck bring their jerseys in on a rack late in 1982...there were recycled jerseys tagged as far back as 1977.

Dave Miedema