PDA

View Full Version : Dave Miedema

kjjavic
10-14-2006, 05:23 AM
I had never heard of Dave Miedema until recently, and recently acquired a jersey with him being the authenticator. Does he have a solid reputation? Does a LOA from him fare better than one from say Lou Lampson, etc?

thanks
KJ

weimerskirch
10-14-2006, 08:49 AM
KJ,

I have had problems with Miedema's LOAs as I have seen numerous problems with his grading of Oakland A's jerseys 1972 - 1976. I have seen at least 3 instances where he certifies that an A's jersey is 100% authentic when it was not. The last one was a 1974 white A's Reggie Jackson that a seller tried to sell me for $4K as he thought it was genuine. I paid $4K and the jersey was overnighted with the Miedema LOA. I immediately noticed 4 errors on the jersey and contacted the seller. The seller agreed that if I sent the jersey to MEARS and Troy and Dave agreed with my assessment the seller would refund all my money except for $350.00 which I agreed to pay for the fake jersey. I contacted Troy at MEARS and he stated he was familiar with Miedema's past and that Dave does not grade and jerseys. Troy and Dave agreed to look at the jersey for free and immediately agreed with me and disagreed with Miedema's LOA. Troy sent the shirt back and the seller sent all my money back minus the $350.00 I was very satisifed with Troy and Dave as they want to get things right. As for Miedema's LOAs...I put them right with Lampsons...not worth the price of the paper they are written on.

Mark

sportscentury
10-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi, KJ ...

I've known Dave for a long time ... and he's been in involved in the hobby for far longer than I've known him. In my opinion, few folks know more about modern baseball jerseys (or modern sports jerseys, in general, for that matter). He's always been an upstanding guy and he's saved me a good bit of money over the years by pointing out problems with shirts that had been touted as perfect and unaltered.

Best of luck with your collecting.

Reid

kjjavic
10-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys for your comments. I guess there pros and cons with any authenticator. The jersey I acquired has the identical tagging to a known gamer from the same year that I already have, and it shows very good use, so I think he is dead on with this one, but I wanted to hear some opionions on him. I have heard opinions on Lampson and others in the past, but I wasn't familiar with Miedemas work prior to this jersey
thanks again,
KJ

CollectGU
10-14-2006, 05:34 PM
What kind of jersey?

Dave