PDA

View Full Version : Trading memorabilia to a player?

moo5100@yahoo.com
06-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I just became aware that my Oakland Athletics Chris Carter jersey is the one he wore during his first homerun. It is authenticated to the day after, but it was photomatched it to the homer (MLB Authentication error). Anyways, do you think he would want this jersey being that it could be pretty significant to him? I would gladly trade it if he wanted to, also what should i ask for?

rdeversole
06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I would think that if he had wanted it that it would've never made it to market for sale. Probably not the same significance to him as say his first MLB jersey worn.

moo5100@yahoo.com
06-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I thought the same thing, but maybe he didnt think about it at the time or something. Worth a shot.

scootmagroot
06-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I spoke with James Darnell of the Padres quite a bit at spring training since I have the jersey he wore when hitting his first MLB homerun. He offered me a few things and seemed genuinely interested in having it, but I was asking him for a glove. We came to the agreement that we would talk in September when he is up for the end of the year. I will be pushing for a glove.

r_phelps
06-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Sounds like something he would really appreciate later in life but I would offer if given the opportunity.

Skizzick
06-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Maybe take the opportunity to trade up. Ask for a Cespedes jersey if he has access to one.

moo5100@yahoo.com
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I was honestly thinking that exact thing. A Cespedes jersey would be amazing. He just needs the call up first

OaklandAsFan
06-20-2012, 11:29 PM
I think that would be insulting IMO. "hey i've got this great game used jersey of yours but I'd gladly give it up for a better one of a guy who may have greater value than yours"

Your best bet is to see if he wants it and try and work something out of equal value to both of you.

sox83cubs84
06-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I think that would be insulting IMO. "hey i've got this great game used jersey of yours but I'd gladly give it up for a better one of a guy who may have greater value than yours"

Your best bet is to see if he wants it and try and work something out of equal value to both of you.

I totally agree. +1

Dave Miedema

Mulligans
06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
In my Opinion, the whole process seems a bit tacky? I can see offering up a Jersey to a player expecting nothing in return and hoping that I make the guys day.

Maybe he would feel the kindness to take care of you in some way?

If I were a player and someone contacted me to trade or buy a Jersey I'd think the guy was a total Loser......No I'm not calling you a loser....Just sharing my personal feelings with you.:)

OaklandAsFan
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Mulligans I think it depends on the situation.

For example I have Ryan Roberts pink mothers day cleats from last season, I have heard from several people that he is upset that they were taken from his locker without consulting him right after the game as he wanted to give them to his mother. I think in that situation making a trade is a good thing and if I ever happen to run into him prior to a game I will be discussing a trade with him.

Maybe Chris would like the jersey and it was removed before he had a chance to grab it, who knows. I don't see any harm in asking, worst case is he will say no thanks keep it..

jbsportstuff
06-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Very interesting reads. I'm positive that most guys don't have access to other players jerseys. Often players can get stuff signed by other players, but most don't have access to their jerseys.

I have Devin Mesoraco's MLB debut jersey. He confirmed it as such after I photo matched it and showed it to him. He ended up signing it as MLB Debut jersey. I offered him the jersey and he said that he might be interested. Nothing has happened since.

moo5100@yahoo.com
06-21-2012, 03:39 PM
That was the other thing that i was thinking and why I asked everyone. But he has to realize that I paid for it. I might maybe throw out the idea of a Cespedes jersey jokingly, just to see what he would say, but not expecting it at all. Maybe he would do it for a different jersey and a helmet or something? I would feel weird asking for much more than that

Tyrcha
06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Just wanted to add my experience...

I acquired Stephen Paea's jersey in which he recorded his first career sack. I happened to also be following him on Twitter at the time. Just for the fun of it I tweeted him a picture of the jersey and he imidiately responded with, "Can I buy that from you?". I went back and fourth with him for a little while and we ended up meeting. We agreed on a trade, he got his first sack jersey and I got his signed practice jersey, his signed/issued London jersey and a pair of gloves. He's a really cool guy and I've since seen the jersey I traded him framed in a photo he posted. Pretty cool experience. Good luck with your situation!

Klattsy
06-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I've gone the opposite way a couple of times. I gave one player a heap of his own trading cards once and he gave me a great deal when he was selling off items on eBay and another guy I am trading a heap of cards of his favorite player for a pair of cleats. Thats the great thing about Aussie players is they are so accessible (local ball parks or Twitter).

metsbats
06-23-2012, 07:06 AM
I agree with OaklandAsFan that it depends on the situation. During the 86 Mets reunion in 2006 the players were told to give the retro jerseys they wore on the field and were given a new one to take home in its place. Several of the major stars didn't do that and keep their ceremony worn jerseys according to Ed Hearn. I bid and won his ceremony worn jersey from the Mets auctions and we traded jerseys.

WadeInBmore
06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
A couple of times I have bought and sent items back to former players, for the shear pleasure of it. I had a previous relationship with both men (not in the sandusky sort of way), but considered them either a friend or mentor. It was a great feeling to be able to send an item home to guys...that admittedly never thought about keeping the jerseys because you are in the moment.

As a collector, you know that item is going to be charished and loved by that players family. Truth.

wade

sox83cubs84
06-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I trade memorabilia with players several times a year, and have gotten back bats, caps, batting gloves, cleats, SGAs and even a game home run ball. I've even had 2 players offer to buy jerseys they saw me wearing, though both of these instances happened over 15 years ago. John Verhoeven, when with the Twins, wanted a Veeck era White Sox jersey that was made for him, but that he didn't use due to a trade days before the season started. And, Bob Scanlan, who's a great guy and an intelligent man but also one of the guys who insists that he heeps all his jerseys, wanted a Brewers gamer of his I scored and admitted that the Brewers wouldn't let him keep anything. In both cases, I sold, but did not try to make money off either guy...I just wanted to get out of it what I had into it.

Dave Miedema