PDA

View Full Version : Question about NCAA Tournament baseballs

coxfan
06-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I know the NCAA ships R1NCAA extra-innings technology baseballs (without any conference logo) to hosts or directors of Regionals and Super-Regionals, and requires they be used for those games instead of the host team's usual logo balls. The NCAA also requires that teams bring their own practice balls. My question is: Do the hosts have to return unused R1NCAA balls to the NCAA, or do they get to keep them as part of the complicated financial arrangements for these events, in which ticket revenues and expenses are split?

I'm wondering about a heavily-used R1NCAA ball I saw during the South Carolina Gamecocks' fall practice in 2010.The Gamecocks had won the National Championship that spring, and that's the only R1NCAA ball I saw. Otherwise, the Gamecocks use only Wilson TT9 or SEC balls ( new or game-used) for practice. I typically find a dozen or more of these practice balls when I watch a practice, and turn them in to the team as they have no interest to me.

But I wonder if this solitary R1NCAA ball might have have been used in the 2010 Regional, played in Columbia? If so, it deserved a better fate than being thrown in in the BP bucket.

Interst is extremely high here, where the Gamecocks set two NCAA records ( with 22 straight NCAA Tournament wins and 12 straight CWS wins) before both streaks were ended by Arkansas last night. So following up on a ball with potential historic significance is of interest to me. The Gamecocks have been unfortunately stingy with selling any g-u stuff from this historic run.