PDA

View Full Version : Steiner authenticity questions?

cammy collector
10-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the whole memorabilia collecting world, so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question here. Anyways, my question is, has there been any reported instances of Steiner selling fake/non-GU items? I'm only wondering this because I just went to their site and found a Mike Cameron jersey that is being listed for it's 3rd time with only a $100 starting bid. Seems strange to me that it wouldn't sell when the price is so low. I plan on buying it so I'd like to know. Thanks alot guys!

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=75228649&prmenbr=55076099&aunbr=75575359

-Mike Given

MSpecht
10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi Mike

Welcome to the site...

Since you are new to the site, here is a little help. On the right side of the top blue toolbar of each forum is a 'search' function. Click it, enter search word "Steiner" and about nine pages of threads about Steiner Sports will be displayed, many of them with the type of info you are seeking. Here's a quick link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/search.php?searchid=32029

I am sure other GUU members will offer you their experiences also ... the search above is just for a jump start.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

cammy collector
10-13-2006, 07:10 PM
thanks for the help. however, the reason I hadn't used the search function in the first place is because I suspected it would provide little, or no answers to my questions. can anybody else shed any light?

suave1477
10-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Steiner is very reputable I higly doubt they sell anything Fake/bogus, but then again this is America lol lol.:D

I have dealt with/ bought many items from Steiner and I cant complain. They have an exclusive contract with the Yankees and recently just gained the Mets. As far as a Mike Cameron Jersey selling for cheap others may not agree with me but he's "Mike Cameron" not David Wright or Jose Reyes. In 12 seasons he has played with already 6 teams, his first season with the Mets his average was .231 and has a career average of .252 not exactly a star player and border line semi star, so why wouldnt his items sell for cheap?????

cammy collector
10-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Steiner is very reputable I higly doubt they sell anything Fake/bogus, but then again this is America lol lol.:D

I have dealt with/ bought many items from Steiner and I cant complain. They have an exclusive contract with the Yankees and recently just gained the Mets. As far as a Mike Cameron Jersey selling for cheap others may not agree with me but he's "Mike Cameron" not David Wright or Jose Reyes. In 12 seasons he has played with already 6 teams, his first season with the Mets his average was .231 and has a career average of .252 not exactly a star player and border line semi star, so why wouldnt his items sell for cheap?????

ooh, burn! lol. I'll give you some reasons why I think it SHOULDN'T sell nearly that low.

1.) It's a Mets jersey. Regardless of the player, there is always a market for them
2.) He is a former All-Star and two-time gold glove winner. At the age of 33, he's still one of the premeire outfielders in the league
3.) Just this season, I saw a Cammy Mets jersey go for upwards of $425, and a few more recent sales around $200

sportscentury
10-14-2006, 06:26 PM
thanks for the help. however, the reason I hadn't used the search function in the first place is because I suspected it would provide little, or no answers to my questions. can anybody else shed any light?

Mike,

I think Mike Specht's suggestion is right on target. The search function will turn up many relevant threads and information for you.

Reid

Swoboda4
10-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Mike,welcome.The jersey is not for sale for $100-that's just the opening bid in what is a 17 day (remaining) auction. Let's guess where it will end at. My guess $370+

cammy collector
10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Mike,welcome.The jersey is not for sale for $100-that's just the opening bid in what is a 17 day (remaining) auction. Let's guess where it will end at. My guess $370+

but see... that's exacty what my thoughts were as well. however I checked the completed auctions, and this exact jersey has already been listed, and ended without any bids, TWICE. I didn't think there could be any other possible explanation besides people questioning it's authenticity.

-Mike Given

suave1477
10-16-2006, 08:28 AM
ooh, burn! lol. I'll give you some reasons why I think it SHOULDN'T sell nearly that low.

1.) It's a Mets jersey. Regardless of the player, there is always a market for them
2.) He is a former All-Star and two-time gold glove winner. At the age of 33, he's still one of the premeire outfielders in the league
3.) Just this season, I saw a Cammy Mets jersey go for upwards of $425, and a few more recent sales around $200

Cammy Just because an item doesnt sell or sells low you shouldnt automatically assume the seller is selling fake stuff.
The truth is Miker Cameron is a NOBODY!!.
I am not trying to knock you for who you like, but just ecause you hold high regards for him doesn't everyone else does.

1) Because its a Mets Jersey it should sell???? Who told you that?
2) Former All Star / 2 Gold Glove Winner - SO IS HALF THE OF MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, Again he may be a good Outfielder but has a terrible average.
3) As far as what you have seen sell in the past - Well thats all in the moment if you get the right bidders at the right time. Thats all!!!

Kid4hof03
10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Jason,
Have a cup of coffee and lighten up.

Abe

suave1477
10-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Kid your right, it just's that was a bad reason to think someone is not legit because something doesnt sell or because it sells to low.

There are so many reasons on this forum that Dealers, Collectors, Auction houses and authentication companies have to put up with, I just dont think they something like that to discredit them.

Kid4hof03
10-16-2006, 11:21 AM
He never questioned the authenticity, he asked for opinions becuase he wasn't very familiar with the company. No offense, we talk alot and I like you, but there needs to be much thicker skin about this stuff. If a new collector can't come here and ask questions without being treated rudely then why even bother?

Abe

suave1477
10-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the whole memorabilia collecting world, so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question here. Anyways, my question is, has there been any reported instances of Steiner selling fake/non-GU items? I'm only wondering this because I just went to their site and found a Mike Cameron jersey that is being listed for it's 3rd time with only a $100 starting bid. Seems strange to me that it wouldn't sell when the price is so low. I plan on buying it so I'd like to know. Thanks alot guys!
-Mike Given

Kid I like you too, but your wrong he did question authenticity as I highlighted above.

Kid4hof03
10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Come on Jason, read the whole sentence man! He asked "have there been reported incidents of Steiner selling fake items". He asked a question, are we really that asinine that nobody can ask a question about a company that we sell items from? Jason, I hope I'm wrong, but you may be losing business just by the way you responded to these questions, you couldn't be more wrong.

Abe

suave1477
10-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Kid lets just leave it at this!!!
and agree to disagree as we both look at it from different perspectives.

In the mean time Eric if you would like you can delete what I wrote.

cammy collector
10-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Kid your right, it just's that was a bad reason to think someone is not legit because something doesnt sell or because it sells to low.

There are so many reasons on this forum that Dealers, Collectors, Auction houses and authentication companies have to put up with, I just dont think they something like that to discredit them.

Did I ever personally question the integrity of Steiner? Did I NOT just state that I am a novice collector, therefor I couldn't figure out why it had ended so low. Whether you, me, or Bruce Bochy thinks he's a star, his jerseys dont sell that low. period.

bat_master
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Kid lets just leave it at this!!!
and agree to disagree as we both look at it from different perspectives.

In the mean time Eric if you would like you can delete what I wrote.

Jason:

Delete what you wrote? What happened to taking responsibility for posts? Didn't you and I already trade posts about being responsible for what you write and also thinking before you do so?

Jason, think before you write! It will do wonders.

Tim Byington
t_byington@yahoo.com

suave1477
10-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Tim what are you talking about????

I did take responsibility for what I said!!!

bat_master
10-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Tim what are you talking about????

I did take responsibility for what I said!!!

Jason:

Then why would Eric need to delete it?

Seriously.

Tim Byington
t_byington@yahoo.com

JETEFAN
10-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi,

As I have posted before, the buck on "legit" items does not stop with Steiner, most of the time they are clueless as to information on items they sell..(Who, What, When and Where). Do your homework especially on Yankees items. There are great "Real" items out there that do not come from Steiner. I have been collecting for 30 years, long before Steiner. This has always been a touchy subject here. I realize there are many people with close ties to Steiner who profit from the Steiner sticker and the lack of collector knowledge thinking that if it's not Steiner it's not real !! It can be real and have nothing to do with Steiner ! Authentications are opinions of people made of flesh and bone no different than you or I, they can make mistakes and many times do! Just my humble opinion.
George

suave1477
10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Tim let me ask you this, why do you feel it was nessecary to ignite fire to a topic that was ended a week ago?

As far as asking Eric to delete, I merely asked that so it would take anyway any negativity any one may have felt with out being able to see the educational side of it.

I still stand by what I wrote!!! That is why I said to the other member. Let's just end the discussion as we are more mature men an can agree to disagree.

Not every debate is going to end up with both parties involved agreeing!!!

Yankwood
10-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi,

As I have posted before, the buck on "legit" items does not stop with Steiner, most of the time they are clueless as to information on items they sell..(Who, What, When and Where). Do your homework especially on Yankees items. There are great "Real" items out there that do not come from Steiner. I have been collecting for 30 years, long before Steiner. This has always been a touchy subject here. I realize there are many people with close ties to Steiner who profit from the Steiner sticker and the lack of collector knowledge thinking that if it's not Steiner it's not real !! It can be real and have nothing to do with Steiner ! Authentications are opinions of people made of flesh and bone no different than you or I, they can make mistakes and many times do! Just my humble opinion.
GeorgeI agree, Jetes. Currently on the Steiner website, there is a "game-used" Paul O'Neill bat being auctioned. Anyone who has collected Yankee bats for a while and O'Neill's in particular can look at this untaped Cooper bat and just know that it probably (benefit of the doubt) was not used by O'Neill in a game. For the prices being paid, let's just say the information and knowledge are not up to par.

kingjammy24
10-20-2006, 12:59 PM
george,

"As I have posted before, the buck on "legit" items does not stop with Steiner, most of the time they are clueless as to information on items they sell..(Who, What, When and Where). Do your homework especially on Yankees items."

i agree with both you and yankwood that steiner's "due diligence" on their items is often lacking. it seems as if they've simply inherited a huge pile of yankee items and take each one at face value. the descriptions on their website are sorely lacking, as are the pictures. there's often no mention of size, number changes, etc. the thing is, they aren't authenticators. they're a marketing company.

"There are great "Real" items out there that do not come from Steiner. I have been collecting for 30 years, long before Steiner. This has always been a touchy subject here. I realize there are many people with close ties to Steiner who profit from the Steiner sticker and the lack of collector knowledge thinking that if it's not Steiner it's not real !! It can be real and have nothing to do with Steiner ! "

let me preface my comments by saying i have no ties to steiner nor do i sell any steiner items. i'm aware that there are legit items out there that haven't come from steiner. eg: they've been snuck out the back door. why take the risk though? when there's a rocksolid source like steiner (rocksolid in terms of provenance, not expertise), why would you buy a yankees item from a non-steiner source? the thrill of taking an unnecessary risk? let's say there are 2 2005 jeter jerseys; one from steiner and one not from steiner. why on earth buy the non-steiner jersey? the only possible benefit would be price. some of us are willing to pay more to sleep easier at night. other than that, even though a non-steiner item "may possibly" be real, i see no reason why you wouldn't save your money for an item with solid provenance.

"Authentications are opinions of people made of flesh and bone no different than you or I, they can make mistakes and many times do!"

again, steiner isn't authenticating. what's to authenticate? the yankees hand them jerseys, they sell them. there's no authentication necessary.
what are you going to authenticate? the id of the yankees staff member handing over the jersey as it literally leaves the clubhouse? steiner makes mistakes due to the fact that they aren't authenticating. they're a sports marketing company selling jerseys acquired from an exclusive business arrangement. the provenance is solid. unfortunately the descriptions aren't.

rudy.

suave1477
10-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Rudy I commend you that was articualte and well put!!!!

nate
10-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Jason,

We don't make fun of your spelling or grammatical errors so don't rip on a new guy whose favorite is "miker cameron" as you put it. For new members we should welcome them with open arms and happily answer any questions or point them in the right direction.

Nate

suave1477
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Jason,

We don't make fun of your spelling or grammatical errors so don't rip on a new guy whose favorite is "miker cameron" as you put it. For new members we should welcome them with open arms and happily answer any questions or point them in the right direction.

Nate

Nate our more then welcome to make fun of my grammitical errors because that is not how I really write!!! It's just when im on here I type quick and as long as my point gets across thats what matters most to me.
I am not ripping on him for who is favorite player is, I was just making a point of that players stats that he may not be accepted universally as a star player. When I answered his question I was happy lol lol

I said nothing wrong as far as the point I was making!!! I apologize if I came across a bit harsh but I still stand by what I said.

JETEFAN
10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
george,

"As I have posted before, the buck on "legit" items does not stop with Steiner, most of the time they are clueless as to information on items they sell..(Who, What, When and Where). Do your homework especially on Yankees items."

i agree with both you and yankwood that steiner's "due diligence" on their items is often lacking. it seems as if they've simply inherited a huge pile of yankee items and take each one at face value. the descriptions on their website are sorely lacking, as are the pictures. there's often no mention of size, number changes, etc. the thing is, they aren't authenticators. they're a marketing company.

"There are great "Real" items out there that do not come from Steiner. I have been collecting for 30 years, long before Steiner. This has always been a touchy subject here. I realize there are many people with close ties to Steiner who profit from the Steiner sticker and the lack of collector knowledge thinking that if it's not Steiner it's not real !! It can be real and have nothing to do with Steiner ! "

let me preface my comments by saying i have no ties to steiner nor do i sell any steiner items. i'm aware that there are legit items out there that haven't come from steiner. eg: they've been snuck out the back door. why take the risk though? when there's a rocksolid source like steiner (rocksolid in terms of provenance, not expertise), why would you buy a yankees item from a non-steiner source? the thrill of taking an unnecessary risk? let's say there are 2 2005 jeter jerseys; one from steiner and one not from steiner. why on earth buy the non-steiner jersey? the only possible benefit would be price. some of us are willing to pay more to sleep easier at night. other than that, even though a non-steiner item "may possibly" be real, i see no reason why you wouldn't save your money for an item with solid provenance.

"Authentications are opinions of people made of flesh and bone no different than you or I, they can make mistakes and many times do!"

again, steiner isn't authenticating. what's to authenticate? the yankees hand them jerseys, they sell them. there's no authentication necessary.
what are you going to authenticate? the id of the yankees staff member handing over the jersey as it literally leaves the clubhouse? steiner makes mistakes due to the fact that they aren't authenticating. they're a sports marketing company selling jerseys acquired from an exclusive business arrangement. the provenance is solid. unfortunately the descriptions aren't.

rudy.

Rudy,

Let me start by saying in no way did I mean to imply that you sell or don't sell or are any way connected to Steiner. I do however have to disagree with you when you say that Steiner does not "authenticate" When you attach your name to an item claiming that item to be from a specific player used in a specific circumstance, you are authenticating it as you know for a fact it is so. I seriously doubt that George's vault of goodies over the past 30 years had any type of discription of detail of who used or didn't use, game use or BP, was it a bat from one player used by another? It was more like putting pennies in a 5 gallon water jug and trying to figure out 20 or 30 years later where each penny came from and what it was used for. The only identifying factor is the name on the item. We all know that bat swapping is as common as wife swapping in some circles, she has your name but may have been used by someone else !! In short authenticators base there opinion from the source, though the Yanks obviously are a great source, poor bookkeeping over the past 30 years leaves you only with the hopes that if it has Bernies name on it , it must be his !! With their prices they owe us a little more than that!!:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

George

sportscentury
10-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Ahh, yes, another classic Jason/Suave thread. Jason, I give you credit for being consistent! :)

Reid

nate
10-20-2006, 06:17 PM
"Cammy Just because an item doesnt sell or sells low you shouldnt automatically assume the seller is selling fake stuff.
I am not trying to knock you for who you like, but just ecause you hold high regards for him doesn't everyone else does."

Jason,

How in this statement did you not insult the player he enjoys collecting? I am not going to make fun of your typing, because it's not funny. It is difficult to understand. Take a second to read the paragraph you posted. What in the heck does the last sentence mean? It comes across as unprofessional. Please take it as constructive criticism.

Nate

Yankwood
10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
"Cammy Just because an item doesnt sell or sells low you shouldnt automatically assume the seller is selling fake stuff.
I am not trying to knock you for who you like, but just ecause you hold high regards for him doesn't everyone else does."

Jason,

How in this statement did you not insult the player he enjoys collecting? I am not going to make fun of your typing, because it's not funny. It is difficult to understand. Take a second to read the paragraph you posted. What in the heck does the last sentence mean? It comes across as unprofessional. Please take it as constructive criticism.

NateCall Jason's posts unprofessional if you want to, but I run to his GUU posts in the morning with the same eagerness as I once rushed to read the Sunday morning comics when I was a kid. These are a great source of entertainment and I'm afraid all too many of you are missing the boat on this one. Keep up the good work Oh Rico Suave.

nate
10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Yankwood,

In regards to the professionalism, it was about the spelling and missing words in sentences, not about the posts. I like the variety of people in this hobby. It makes it unique. But take some time to read what you are posting or use spell check once in a while.

Best Regards,

Nate