PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authentication Program

kellsox
10-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I have heard it mentioned by several board members that it seems to take a while for MLB authenticated items to be entered in the database. My question is...how long is too long for an item to be entered and how can MLB sell things on its site and when the item is recieved, the serial # can't be found/isnt entered. I have several items going as far back as 2005 that are not entered and I'm beginning to wonder if they ever will. If you were to buy something that is "MLB Authenticated" is the hologram enough for you or would you need to see it in the database. I dont doubt the authenticity of the items that I have but it's a little frustrating to read how MLB has this program and it is rarely followed through with. One would assume if they are to undertake such a venture they would do it right. I apologize if this has turned into a vent.

and another thing....Have you ever tried to get in touch with anyone in MLB Authentication? - Impossible

worldchamps
10-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I might be off on this, but it is my understanding that each team is designated a Deliotte (sp?) rep to be in charge of authenticating items.....so if an item is from a specific team, say the Braves TBTC jersey, it would probably be a person with the team that would be the one to enter it into the database through MLB.....again, this might not be right....be i would at least try to contact the team, if your item is team specific. Try Community relations, or Promotions first. Calling in the main line and asking the receptionist will not get you very far.

Bill

kellsox
10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I might be off on this, but it is my understanding that each team is designated a Deliotte (sp?) rep to be in charge of authenticating items.....so if an item is from a specific team, say the Braves TBTC jersey, it would probably be a person with the team that would be the one to enter it into the database through MLB.....again, this might not be right....be i would at least try to contact the team, if your item is team specific. Try Community relations, or Promotions first. Calling in the main line and asking the receptionist will not get you very far.

Bill
The problem doesn't seem to be team specific. I have unregistered items from the Nationals, Red Sox, Mets(trough Steiner) and Rangers.

TNTtoys
10-13-2006, 10:18 PM
I like the fact that Major League Baseball uses a third party to authenticate their items. It also gives me a little bit of comfort to see the hologram on the item I am about to purchase and be able to cross reference it at www.mlb.com... but I have to say... their authentication is probably the least thorough of any authentication program I have seen.

For example, I recently sold a 2002 Leo Mazzone Atlanta jersey. There is no secret at all that Mazzone was the only Atlanta Brave for years to wear the #54. The MLB authentication reference did not have his name -- instead they only listed "player #54" Another such jersey that has come through my hands was a TBC Marlins jersey from 2002. This one's cros reference at mlb.com states "Game Used Marlins Jersey - July 15, 2002" and no reference to a player or a number. Again, there are plenty of resources that would have allowed Deloitte to find out who wore the jersey, but they didn't seem to go the extra mile...it would have taken all of a couple of minutes to do so.

Just my 2 cents...