PDA

View Full Version : Ron Washington's All Star Coaching Staff

jake33
06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I am biased, don't get me wrong. But I don't get Ron "I run in place when i get excited" Washington's. His choices for the 2 AL coach's for All Star game is

1) Ned Yost - Brewers fans, do you have any comments on that choice? But it is nice to see the Royals getting better, I will admit.

2) Bob Melvin - In general I like him. However, I would say his team that he managers is under performing.

I don't get those choices, while there are other options that I would consider better, even before I get to Joe Maddon.

Mike Scioscia, generally one of the most well respected managers in the game. I usually think guys who were former catacher's make good managers anyways, bu Mike really is in the upper echelon.

Buck Showalter - Not just the throwback cartoon bird is worth watching in Baltimore this year. He has done a great job with that team and I will forever be greatful for him beating Boston last year in game 162.

Jim Leyland - Tigers are under performing. But Leyland is the guy who has been there and done that. Tough mentality and while not perfect in some of his methods, he has a a great feel for the game. A baseball lifer, that has a lot of admiration accross the board.

Manny Acta - A competitive team in Cleveland is notworthy at the midway point.

Ron Gardenhire - Yes the Twins are not going to have a great season. I believe Ron is clearly better than Ned Yost. Think of this, if you are the Royals and had a coaching vacancy, who would get hired first Ned Yost or Ron Gardenhire?

Joe Girardi - I think it is safe to say he is used to pressure situations. Also has experience with the All Star Game as a manager and as a player.

Robin ventura - Probably a stretch in his young coaching career, but White Sox unexpected start is a reason to consider him. And he is a 2x all star as a player in 2 different decades

John Farrell - The Blue Jays respond and play well for him. Steadily improving team and I would say a better choice than at least one of the 2 guys - either Yost or Melvin.

Joe Maddon - What is missing on his resume to be a coach on the AL All Star team?
1) coached the 2009 AL team that won
2) Reigning Manager of the Year
3) Was voted last year the #1 manager who current MLB players want to play for in a MLB player's poll.
4) The 2012 Rays with 10 guys on the DL will be at worst cases senario be likely within 3 games of 1st Place at the All star break in a division that every team was above .500 a week ago and the worst team right now the Boston Red Sox.

I wonder why Ron Washington did not have Maddon on the roster. In 2009, Joe did not put Ian Kinsler on the 09 AL roster and he went with Zobrist and Pena over Ian.

But also in reality, I am sure a lot of the managers would prefer a couple days off and would rather relax then go through the PR and go through the motions of being on the All Star coaching staff.

CampWest
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Not a Brewers fan, but a current Royals fan, hopefully my opinions on Yost count too... ;)

Cons ... over reliance on below average proven veterans with no upside, inability to stick to a lineup, very questionable usage patterns with pinch hitters and pinch runners, tendency to make very snide remarks about his best players in public or to the media, often seems to not care a lick on blown calls by umpires and leaves 21 year olds out there to argue for themselves rather than getting off his butt to stand up for his team.

Pros ... During multiple bench clearing standoffs he was one of the first guys out of the dugout and was ready to fight for his guys, he is from Kansas City.

Bottom line, Yost is definitely not one of the better AL managers, but he is the home town manager. I think its just the customary thing to do. Now I hope he gives the home town a bone and selects Billy Butler over one of his veteran Rangers like Michael Young, but I doubt that will happen.