PDA

View Full Version : Obit Sticky

otismalibu
06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Any chance the death watch fellas, could maybe just use one thread to post obits? About 20% of the front page of the General section is obits.
Maybe a Show Us Your Dead Guys thread?

ironmanfan
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
While 20% of the postings in this particular forum doesn't seem excessive to me, I never thought of these listings as a nuisance, etc.

Subsequently, this "death watch fella" has made his last obit posting & will leave it up to Dave M. to see if he still wishes to post these as they cross the various news outlets.

Bill

otismalibu
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
It's not whether they're a nuisance or not, I just thought it would make more sense to have them all in one thread. Why make dozens of Lakers, Bears, Photo Matched, etc. threads when they can all go in a specific one?

sox83cubs84
06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't agree thatbthey're a nuisance (a contention otismalibu has made in past posts, especially less heralded names). Still, his idea is a good one and, in my next obit post, I will try to enact this practice.

BTW, Bill: Your obit posts are appreciated, as you've come across many before I did. Please continue them, although I think otismalibu's single thread idea may be a good one.

Dave Miedema

ahuff
06-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I personally enjoy them exactly the way they are...simply because they easily catch my attention. I do not (and probably will not) scroll through a single post to see if any new passings were reported if that is done. It will most likely become like the montly postings of new items obtained...it just quickly gets crazy long and confusing once people start quoting another post and new information is added. I simply can't tell where I stopped reading the previous time.

sox83cubs84
06-12-2012, 02:30 PM
I personally enjoy them exactly the way they are...simply because they easily catch my attention. I do not (and probably will not) scroll through a single post to see if any new passings were reported if that is done. It will most likely become like the montly postings of new items obtained...it just quickly gets crazy long and confusing once people start quoting another post and new information is added. I simply can't tell where I stopped reading the previous time.

Any other thoughts, pro or con...maybe I need to rethink this.

Dave Miedema

otismalibu
06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Perhaps a Sticky would be a bad idea, because it wouldn't be very obvious when it was updated.
But a singular thread would bump to the top with every addition. I know there are different ways to view threads on here, but I rarely scroll through an entire thread. If I see the NBA Showoff thread has moved to the top, I just click "last page" to see the most recent addition.

Mulligans
06-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I TEND TO AGREE:)

frikativ54
06-12-2012, 04:05 PM

+1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks to Bill and Dave for all their informative obits. :)

coxfan
06-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I appreciate the info either way, but separate threads are like headlines in a paper. They help you select what to read, since few of us have time to read everything. Thus, I generally like separate threads.

commando
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm fine with the way things are now, especially if the headline isn't just a teaser (include the player's NAME, team(s) and year(s) in the headline...) No one has to click out of curiosity if the info is right in the heading.

If we did make a single thread however, I would use it for the "cup of coffee" guys... The reason being that its less likely that there will be many comments added about the guy.

If a person has been involved with the Majors for any real length of time, or was a college star, especially in the past 30 or 40 years, he's more likely to start a discussion and should probably have his own thread IMHO.

otismalibu
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Clearly, the only way I'm going to gain any support is by creating a dozen or so additional posting IDs :D

Majority rules...I hear ya.

trsent
06-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I think we should all start to post who died from our local papers on here.

I'm not sure why every time someone dies it is a new thread. I can see when a discussion of someone's life becomes a topic of discussion, but geez, any lineman who played one game in the NFL or a guy who had a cup of coffee in MLB dies and there is a thread about it?

I think discussions about people are great for the forum, but death notices get a little bit old in my opinion.

I always thought who guys were racing on here to post when a guy dies.

trsent
06-13-2012, 12:10 AM
I always thought who guys were racing on here to post when a guy dies.

Meant to read:

I always thought two guys were racing on here to post when a guy dies.

slab0meat
06-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Clearly, the only way I'm going to gain any support is by creating a dozen or so additional posting IDs :D

Majority rules...I hear ya.

I support you. Isn't going to matter anyway..

MSpecht
06-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I think separate posts has worked very well... I don't think the 'sticky obit thread" would get the info out there, especially once it hit 3 or 4 pages or more.

Mike

sox83cubs84
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
It sounds like supporters of separate threads outnumber a sticky catch-all thread, so I'll stick to the old manner, and hope Bill (or anyone else) continues to add information when they have it (or before I have it).

I also don't agree with the notion that "only" bigger names' obits should be posted. Some lesser lights matter to team, player or autograph collectors, and I'm not going to place my posts based on playing judge as to who's "good enough" to deserve mention. Contrary to the sellers and savers of superstar collectors and dealers, there are many of us out here (myself included) who care about the "commons" as well.

Dave Miedema

gingi79
06-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Show Us Your Dead Guys thread?

Not gonna lie, it's morbid but that's damn funny right there.

camarokids
06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Keep up posting as you have. It seems some have a hard time clicking on page two. If it isn't on page one they don't read it.

The least we could for a person who dies is give them their own thread. It sure as hell is not hurting anyone!

If it is, then the offended party(ies) need to have a drink or a smoke (or two or three or four..... lol)!

trsent
06-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I just think when someone passes, if you have a reason to post their obit on the forum, great - Like a player you knew or respected. Just every time someone passes there is a race to see who can post if first on here and it gets silly.

Tell a story why you appreciated their career - Making a post of a offensive lineman who played in two NFL games that you never heard of just for the sake of making a post is silly. I believe this is not my opinion only.

maverick14
06-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Why not give the obits their own section rather than have them under the general sports discussion.
I've seen on other sites where they do this.
That way they have their own section and when there is an update in the title of the thread just put the players name.
Almost turns it into an obit archive of sorts.
Just an idea.

trsent
06-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Why not give the obits their own section rather than have them under the general sports discussion.
That way they have their own section and when there is an update in the title of the thread just put the players name.
Just an idea.

Very good idea!

sox83cubs84
06-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Just an idea.

If the mods like the idea, I have no problem with it.

Dave Miedema

camarokids
06-15-2012, 08:51 PM
The obituary posts are very informative and a little bit of a history lesson.

trsent
06-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Prince Nayef, Saudi Arabia’s interior minister and crown prince, has died, Saudi state television reported today, citing a Royal Court statement.

trsent
06-16-2012, 06:54 AM
William S. Knowles, who was 84 and in retirement when he shared the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2001 for improving ways to manufacture drugs, including L-dopa for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, died on Wednesday at his home in Chesterfield, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. He was 95.

slab0meat
06-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Prince Nayef, Saudi Arabia’s interior minister and crown prince, has died, Saudi state television reported today, citing a Royal Court statement.

William S. Knowles, who was 84 and in retirement when he shared the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2001 for improving ways to manufacture drugs, including L-dopa for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, died on Wednesday at his home in Chesterfield, Mo., a suburb of St. Louis. He was 95.

Those should each have their own threads.

earlywynnfan
06-16-2012, 10:29 PM
This being a sports forum and all, I would like to keep the obits to sports figures, only.

Mark me down as someone who likes the individual threads for individual players. Also, I like them for the obscure guys, too, since that's my area of interest. If you're not interested in those threads, don't look!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

trsent
06-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Those should each have their own threads.

Sorry about that.

Next time I hear of a sport figure who passes, I'll rush to the forum to start a thread to let everyone know about it. Not much a better way to start my day to see who died who was a member of the sports industry.