PDA

View Full Version : Help with a "Clemente"

genius
06-04-2012, 05:15 PM
just picked this up off of ebay, I'm sure many saw it, from a display standpoint it's a fantastic vintage Pirates flannel. There's been a numeral change to the "21", the gold around the numerals looks slightly more vibrant to my eye and the stitching is a bit cleaner than that around the "Pirates" lettering. The white stitching is definitely a lot whiter. Looks like the same sewing machine though. Felt on the current numerals is consistent with the "Pirates" lettering. Item was advertised as used from 1965-69 with a team numeral change, original number is proving difficult to discern. It was not advertised as a Clemente gamer.

Questions that I would appreciate help on: 1) is the MacGregor tag accurate? 2) is this kind of stitching easy or hard to replicate and do you see this pattern on modern sewing machines? 3) In the late 60s would a team have been interested in "making" a jersey just for someone's display?

I'm not suggesting Clemente wore this, in fact I would have to believe the numeral change did not happen in the late 60s as the seller claimed. But I'm no expert. I am happy with the quality of the item though and curious at what the story behind it might be. Seller had no additional info. Thanks!

sox83cubs84
06-04-2012, 06:19 PM
The MacGregor inside placket tagging looks right for 1965, as does the inside stitch pattern in the last photo.

In a way, changing a jersey like this purely for display purposes might not be so odd in the 1960s. The game-used hobby, as we know it, didn't exist back then, and such an alteration would almost certainly be done for appearance or display's sake, not to foist off on some unsuspecting newbie as would be the case even 10-15 years later.

Dave Miedema

jppopma
06-04-2012, 07:10 PM
The numbers look too vibrant to me to be a change made in the 60's (even if done just for display purposes).

Can you see if there is any outline on the inside of another number? Maybe it was a blank and the 21 was added to it.

Nice looking jersey regardless of anything else.

genius
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
There's definitely a stitching outline of another two-digit number, just can't tell exactly what the number was. Thank you for the replies!