PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Cubs White Sox Stadium Question

stdrwt11
05-26-2012, 09:16 PM
A friend and I will be attending games at Wrigley and U.S. Cellular this summer. We have never been. Any help would be appreciated. Where would be the best seats for possible autos, foul ball, home runs balls? I have looked at Stub Hub and found some decent seats but wanted to get info from those who have attended before. Thanks all!

sox83cubs84
05-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Despite it's nickname, Wrigley Field is anything but friendly to collectors. Autograph seekers are forced to stand by and further down from the bullpens...approaching players in the home plate or infield areas is not allowed. The bleachers are off limits to anyone not specifically ticketed there, so BP and game home runs are a problem, also. The two advantages that Wrigley has over the cell are: (1) access to the main lower bowl of the park with any ticket, so, even if you have an upper deck ticket, you can go down to the lower deck during BP and try to snag a foul ball or a tossed ball. (2) Wrigley opens 2 hours before game time, meaning you get to see the Cubs hit.

At U.S. Cellular Field (a.k.a. "The Cell" and "The Joan"), gates open only 90 minutes prior togame time, so you likely won't see the Sox hit. Also, entry to the main (100) level requires a 100 level ticket. If you've got upper deck seats, you will not be allowed into the main level. Tickets are checked for this at the first and third base entrances. On the good side, approaching the dugouts (except directly behind the dugout...safety reasons) and immediately adjacent areas is allowed. Foul lines have a low fence, so playing BP fouls there is often productive. BP home runs are playable, as well, although many land in the bullpens (straightaway left and right center). Also, fewer Ballhawks attend the Cell than Wrigley, so the competition isn't as intense.

If you can catch the Sox players, they are good signers. The Cus are good for tossing baseballs into the bleachers, but for doing so for fans on the foul line, and for signing in general, they are almost worthless.

Dave Miedema

stdrwt11
05-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Thank you so much for the response. I am excited about going and will be getting tickets soon. Also, any idea where opposing teams stay or best way to get autos from opposing teams before or after games? Thanks again!

frikativ54
05-27-2012, 11:45 AM
At U.S. Cellular Field (a.k.a. "The Cell" and "The Joan"), gates open only 90 minutes prior togame time, so you likely won't see the Sox hit. Dave Miedema

What's the origin of the nickname, "The Joan"? :confused:

sox83cubs84
05-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you so much for the response. I am excited about going and will be getting tickets soon. Also, any idea where opposing teams stay or best way to get autos from opposing teams before or after games? Thanks again!

Cubs players park in a fenced off lot. They can be coaxed to come to the fence and sign, but usually don't. The lot is by the LF corner of the stadium, across the street from the firehouse. Sox players are more cooperative, and their lot is between Wentworth Avenue and the stadium itself. It, too, is fenced off (higher fence than at Wrigley). Visiting players (and some other notables) enter the ballpark at gate 4. Visiting players at Wrigley enter by the RF corner gate (at Addison and Sheffield). Most signature chasers at the Cell are helpful and sociable; the ones at Wrigley, though, discourage newcomers, take themselves way too seriously, and have no problems lying to you about whether a player has arrived if they think it will get rid of you.

I've gotten too old and too busy to stake out hotels, although my memories are of Chicago hotels that despised and tried to thwart autograph seekers, and collectors even more antisocial to newcomers than the ones at Wrigley.

Leslie:

"The Joan" was a nickname used a lot when the park changed its name in 2003 and for a few years afterwards. Actress Joan Cusack (from Chicago) was the advertising spokesperson for U.S. Cellular print and video commericals at the time, hence the moniker "The Joan".

Dave Miedema

matt7475
05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
The visiting teams enerally stay at the Westin across from the Hancock building (off Michigan Ave.) One exception are the Cardinals who, to my knowledge, stopped staying at the Westin after the death od Daryl Kile.

sox83cubs84
05-28-2012, 10:25 PM
The visiting teams enerally stay at the Westin across from the Hancock building (off Michigan Ave.) One exception are the Cardinals who, to my knowledge, stopped staying at the Westin after the death od Daryl Kile.

I'm not sure what is procedure now as I haven't been down there in a few years, but back then, collectors were ordered to stand across the street from the hotel entrance (by the north side of the Hancock Building). The Westin's attitude towards autograph sekers was basically an adversarial one.

Dave Miedema

stdrwt11
05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
I saw some seats in row 1 for sections 159 and 160 in left field and also row 1 on the visitor side in 114. Any of these sound good? Also, If we did 114 what would chances be of trying to get autos from visiting team, do they go down that far to sign? Thanks!

35th&Shields
05-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Sect 159 are pretty good IMO. I was a partial season ticket holder for that area a few years back. Right next to the Sox bullpen. Great for HR balls, Autos vary. Security is pretty tight on fans seeking autos. The relief pitchers will pop up time to time and sign. Mainly for kids though.