PDA

View Full Version : my thought on what to do with 1st rounf of mlb playoff (wildcard)

jake33
05-26-2012, 01:45 PM
With mlb going with the addition of a 5th playoff team going through. I am still up in the air about it if I like it or not. Regardless it is happening, however I know for sure I do not like the 1-game playoff idea. For the two biggest reasons of the season being a marathon and 1 game to determine who advances is not overly appealing. Also if the 4 seed is 7 games ahead of the 5 seed, it further seems bad that the 5 seed winning 1 game over the 4 seed, basically leap-frogs them 6 games.

What I'd like to see is this.

Game 1 5 seed hosts 4 seed
Game 2 and 3 if needed - double header the day following game 1. 4 seed would host both games. Day/night double header.

2 main Cons of this are fairly obvious
- stretching the season even longer
- increased pitcher workload
- taxing the advancing team to the next round

Pros
-4 seed has larger advantage in this set up over 5 seed by the 4 seed having a shot to advance no matter what with a split in the double header or sweep the double header. 5 seed would have to win in 4 seed's park
-increased revenue
-by doing double header, game 3 would be in primetime tv time
-high pressure situation that would have interest of fans
- only would add 1 day for scheduling - barring rain postponement - but that is the same with 1 game playoff.
- better sampling of the better team's pitching staff and more sampling to endure best team moves on.

Your thoughts?

LastingsMilledge85
05-26-2012, 03:27 PM
MLBPA will never go for the scheduled doubleheader.

xpress34
05-26-2012, 10:40 PM
MLBPA will never go for the scheduled doubleheader.

Yes they will - especially if it means REVENUE.

The Rockies have a SCHEDULED Day/Night Double Header on Monday (Memorial Day) with the Astros, Tuesday is an OFF day and then Game 3 with the Astros on Wednesday.

Why play a DH when Tuesday is OPEN? Because since Monday is a HOLIDAY, more people off work are more likely to go to the park than on Tuesday night after working all day... in other words $$$.

Unless I am mistaken, the MLBPA has to approve the schedule along with MLB due to travel days, Day games after Night games, etc.

And I'm certain that through their CBA, they profit as well when more Revenue is generated.

Just my take -

Smitty

sox83cubs84
05-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes they will - especially if it means REVENUE.

The Rockies have a SCHEDULED Day/Night Double Header on Monday (Memorial Day) with the Astros, Tuesday is an OFF day and then Game 3 with the Astros on Wednesday.

Why play a DH when Tuesday is OPEN? Because since Monday is a HOLIDAY, more people off work are more likely to go to the park than on Tuesday night after working all day... in other words $$$.

Unless I am mistaken, the MLBPA has to approve the schedule along with MLB due to travel days, Day games after Night games, etc.

And I'm certain that through their CBA, they profit as well when more Revenue is generated.

Just my take -

Smitty

Agreed. The day/night doubleheader was almost unheard of when you and I were kids, but with the advantages of a holiday crowd and seperate admissions, the possibilities of a day/night DH are enhanced. Gotta remember...LastingsMilledge85 is a young guy...he wasn't around for the days when teams sometimes played a traditional (one admission) doubleheader almost every week in the summer, like I recall (and I think you do, too). The players are a lot more coddled now than they were in the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

Dave Miedema