PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wieters Bat

DeacDoug
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Did some graphing at the Red Sox/Orioles day game today. Although the day was not particularly successful, Wieters was kind enough to walk out of his way from the players' parking lot, perhaps in response to another grapher's wish of a belated happy birthday. He signed for the two of us who had items and then an aging black man, who walked with a cane, asked Wieters for a bat. Wieters said he would give him one and, about 5 minutes later, a clubhouse employee drove up the ramp with a beautiful uncracked, game used Wieters bat that the player had signed.

I don't collect bats, but offered the new owner 60 bucks for the bat, arguably a low ball bid. The other grapher, an O's fan unlike moi, later wound up with the bat for 100 bucks. I guess that moral of the story is that, if you ask, sometimes you will receive. The fellow looked like he could really use the money and I'm guessing that Wieters knew this. Wieters is a credit to the game.

sox83cubs84
05-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Did some graphing at the Red Sox/Orioles day game today. Although the day was not particularly successful, Wieters was kind enough to walk out of his way from the players' parking lot, perhaps in response to another grapher's wish of a belated happy birthday. He signed for the two of us who had items and then an aging black man, who walked with a cane, asked Wieters for a bat. Wieters said he would give him one and, about 5 minutes later, a clubhouse employee drove up the ramp with a beautiful uncracked, game used Wieters bat that the player had signed.

I don't collect bats, but offered the new owner 60 bucks for the bat, arguably a low ball bid. The other grapher, an O's fan unlike moi, later wound up with the bat for 100 bucks. I guess that moral of the story is that, if you ask, sometimes you will receive. The fellow looked like he could really use the money and I'm guessing that Wieters knew this. Wieters is a credit to the game.

You know it! At games, I have worked all types of deals for game used baseballs. This ranges from $20 cash for a home run ball a few times, to 4 BP balls for a Juan Gonzalez home run, to a hot dog and beer for the couple who caught a Richie Sexson home run. And, of course, there's the two Wrigley ballhawks who pooled their resources to pick up an Albert Pujos home run for 100 bucks. It doesn't always work, but, to quote my old preacher friend, Vince Burke, in his high school days: "He who hesitates don't get it on."

Dave Miedema