PDA

View Full Version : PSA/DNA, New Photomatch Service?

gnishiyama
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Just saw this Vlad jersey (http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=27749&searchby=3&searchvalue=jeter&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=1&seo=2006-Vladimir-Guerrero-All-Star-Game-Used-Road-Jersey-%28Photomatch%29-%28PSA%2fDNA%29) on Grey Flannel and interesting enough it
notes " This jersey is further accompanied by a LOA from PSA/DNA attesting to the photomatch."

A quick search shows no results but is PSA/DNA offering a new
photomatch service?

Also while on the topic how does any company actually offer photomatching
services? While bats and pinstriped jerseys are quite easy I'm looking
for a service that uses scales and other measures to get a photomatch
for road jerseys. I've heard Meigray does and their website does offer
authentication but it seems to be only for hockey jerseys. I've seen
MEARS LOAs but for modern jerseys they seem to limit their authentication
to 'style match' unless its a high end item.

emann
05-23-2012, 08:04 PM
When I saw this listing, my assumption is that it was a piece that originated with JT Sports and Taube included a LOA attesting to the photomatch.

I've seen him sell equipment, other than bats, on his website with photomatch LOAs included before. Someone on GUU owns a Pedroia photomatched ALCS jersey that I distinctly remember presented on JT's website w/ a photomatch LOA from PSA/DNA).

gnishiyama
05-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Also while on the topic how does any company actually offer photomatching
services?

What I meant to ask was does any company actually offer photomatching
services?

Emann, I thought the same thing as well.

David
05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I don't know how it could be offered at a price collector's would find palatable. Think of the time involved.

xpress34
05-24-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't know how it could be offered at a price collector's would find palatable. Think of the time involved.

Time? You mean like how much time they put into each signature they verify? :p

I'm sure they would charge you handsomely and if they can't find a photo match, still keep your fee just like when they can't verify your item is legit, but can't really call it fake either and they still keep your money for the time they spent trying to authenticate it.

trsent
05-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Time? You mean like how much time they put into each signature they verify? :p

I'm sure they would charge you handsomely and if they can't find a photo match, still keep your fee just like when they can't verify your item is legit, but can't really call it fake either and they still keep your money for the time they spent trying to authenticate it.

I'm curious, do you know firsthand how much time they spend verifying each signature or are you just assuming?

Jags Fan Dan
05-25-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't know, if you are just obtaining measurements and dimensions and things, it might not be that bad. As a property claims adjuster, I can get very detailed roof measurements on very complex roofs from satellite images from a company for $50. Maybe something comparable could be found to do the same with game images? I don't know...:confused:

xpress34
05-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm curious, do you know firsthand how much time they spend verifying each signature or are you just assuming?

Joel -

I did a very detailed breakdown on this issue about a year or so ago based on numbers taken DIRECTLY from PSA/DNA's site.

How many items they had AUTHENTICATED to that point divided by the number of years that they have been in existence from their 'about us' page and presuming they had 10 employees and them working 24 hours a day ended up allowing less than 1/2 an hour per item and that would include them receiving the item, researching it, photographing, writing the opinion, applying the invisible daub and sticker, and shipping out and NOT including items that they have REJECTED.

I have written and asked how many employees they have and have never received an answer, so I can only go with a projected number.

They currently claim 19,077,518 items CERTIFIED (I have to guess this means autos, grading, etc) as of 5/12/12 claiming they were founded in 1998. That is 14 years of business.

This is based on a one man crew to get a base number:
19,077,518 items / 14 years = 1,362,679 items per Year / 365 = 3,733 items per Day / 24 = 155 items per hour / 60 = 2.6 items per minute.

Even if they have 100 employees working 24 hours a day (meaning all 100 are working every minute of everyday), that would boost it to 4 hours and 20 minutes per item. Again, that time would have to include the unpacking, photos, research, writing the letter, printing the letter, packing to ship out, etc.

If they had those same 100 employees ONLY working 8 hour shifts EVERY day, then that number (4hrs 20min) gets dropped to 1hr 26 minutes to get all of that stuff done.

I understand they do player signings and such, but even with those basically pre-certified items, it wouldn't dent these numbers that much. It's not like they are getting a couple of thousand 'in person' signed items each day.

So no, I don't know '1st hand', but the numbers are THEIR numbers, not mine.

If you presume they actually only work a normal 5 day, 8 hour a day shift with weekend shows thrown in, those numbers go down even further. That final number is based on them working around the clock every day, no breaks, no days off.

Either they are over estimating how many items they have 'Certified' or there is no way they are giving each item the time and care that it requires.

If those are the numbers for 'certifying' items, how much time do YOU think they would put into photo-matching?

- Smitty

Granted, these are only 'avg' numbers - but don't forget - they don't include the handling of and writing letters for items that are rejected each day.

xpress34
05-26-2012, 12:29 AM
OOPS... I used the number of ITEMS not amt of time when I did the math for 100 employees, so let's revisit this again and the numbers are even more staggering and mind numbing to even think about what they charge for their 'service'...

@ 1 employee working 24 hours a day, they do 2.6 items a minute, that's LESS than 20 seconds per item.

@ 100 employees, that means they are spending 2000 seconds (roughly 33.3 minutes) per item IF they are working 24 Hrs a day, so realistically for an 8 hr day, they are spending just over 10 minutes per item to do ALL of the steps.

Yep. That sounds like they really put a WHOLE lot of work into each 'certification'.

- Smitty

solarlottry
05-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Does anyone have any idea what MEARS or a similar service charges to evaluate and photo-match a mid 90s NFL game worn jersey?

I am wondering what forum members think is fair to charge for the evaluation and photo-matching of game worn jerseys from the 1980s to present?

I know Dave Miedema offers a service to authenticate jerseys. He charged me 50$, if I remember correctly, to write an LOA for a mid 80s Bears Jim Harbaugh gamer I own. I sent him the jersey plus all of my research, which included images that I thought were photo-matches.

One would think that to provide a definitive photo-match, which can both authenticate and increase (sometimes substantially) the value of an item, that it would depend on the difficulty of the photo-match.

To provide a match of a jersey from the last 5 seasons, with the use of NFL rewind and high def DVD should cost less than matching up a jersey from 1981 thru the late 90s. The question is how much of a difference?

If any fellow members would like to chime in please do so!

Always buying 49er game worn jerseys, paying a finders fee and matching all offers on things I want.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

David
05-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I was thinking the cost would include the man hours of finding the a photo(s) that photo matched. Searching one's photo archives.

A possible way to make money is for someone to maintain a massive online photo archive and charge for collectors to search through them. The money would be in having the archive. Hiring someone to look through their archives for you is like hiring a librarian. And paying someone for an expert opinion that a photo is a genuine official match is another thing.

David
05-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Sarlotty's post involved providing the expert with the photo, which was different than what I was thinking about.

David
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
As far as PSA/DNA goes and, say autograph authentication, I think the experts can authenticate many autographs really quickly-- almost at first site--, and more time is spent on other, harder ones.

I used to work for Beckett as their outside photograph (not autographed) expert, and they would send me digital via email photos of hard ones, ones they had troubles dating. I can tell you I took more than 2 seconds looking at those. And, before you ask, I was giving them outside advice not authenticating the digital image.

trsent
05-26-2012, 04:34 PM
As far as PSA/DNA goes and, say autograph authentication, I think the experts can authenticate many autographs really quickly-- almost at first site--, and more time is spent on other, harder ones.

I used to work for Beckett as their outside photograph (not autographed) expert, and they would send me digital via email photos of hard ones, ones they had troubles dating. I can tell you I took more than 2 seconds looking at those. And, before you ask, I was giving them outside advice not authenticating the digital image.

David, the guy who attacks the authenticators also doesn't count "In The Presence" authentications which take place when a PSA/DNA staff member witnesses an autograph and puts a sticker on the item.

It is the same service I see MLB Authentic authenticators do at trade shows all the time. You can eat up a lot of numbers really quickly with such a service.

They also do not appreciate when you authenticate a common autograph is takes seconds, while more obscure autographs often take a lot of time.

xpress34
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
David, the guy who attacks the authenticators also doesn't count "In The Presence" authentications which take place when a PSA/DNA staff member witnesses an autograph and puts a sticker on the item.

It is the same service I see MLB Authentic authenticators do at trade shows all the time. You can eat up a lot of numbers really quickly with such a service.

They also do not appreciate when you authenticate a common autograph is takes seconds, while more obscure autographs often take a lot of time.

Wow Joel -

You really know how to read, huh.

I understand they do player signings and such, but even with those basically pre-certified items, it wouldn't dent these numbers that much. It's not like they are getting a couple of thousand 'in person' signed items each day.

So yes, I DID take that into account. Without knowing how many people they employ (as I also mentioned), it is impossible to narrow it down to a 'specific' number, but even if every auto/certification was 'in person', there is still time involved to sticker the item, record the cert number, write the cert, enter it into the database, etc, etc.

No matter how you slice it, the numbers don't add up.

And again, I am not even figuring in time for TOUGH to cert autos, how long they spend GRADING a card (which I presume is part of the numbers they include in the 'certified' items count) or the time spent on bad items or items they can't quite certify but won't call 'fakes' either.

I am ONLY using the number of items they claim to have certified which implies items that they have authenticated, numbered, put in the database, etc. I would imaging that the number of BAD items they handle is at least 25% or more of the items they have 'certified' which would be approx another 5,000,00 items handled over the past 14 years.

So don't tell me what I 'appreciate' or don't take into consideration before you actually READ what I wrote.

- Smitty

xpress34
05-26-2012, 10:32 PM
P.S. - don't forget that based on a 24 hour (around the clock) work cycle, the numbers they give break down to almost 4,000 items certified a day.

If it's only 8 hour days (even 7 days a week), that jumps that total to close to 12,000 items a day that they are claiming they are certifying.

I'm sorry if the hard numbers don't agree with many members love of the authenticators, but math is a PURE science and these numbers don't jive.

I'll even give you this scenario:

Let's presume they have 1,000 employees (which I'm pretty certain is an absurd #). 1,000 employees x 20 seconds is 20,000 seconds / 60 seconds is 333.3 minutes / 60 minutes is roughly 5.5 hours per item (on a 24 hour clock/7 days a week). But on an 8 hour clock (even staying with 7 days a week) that drops to about 1 hr 45 minutes per item.

That wouldn't be a bad number, but when you take out all the little things - again, receiving/unpacking, labeling, typing cert, repacking/shipping, entering into database, etc I would imagine that eats up a good chunk of that time.

If you and others want to continue to believe that they absolutely give EVERY item EVERY ounce of time and consideration that they deserve, I believe you are sorely mistaken.

And to David - nothing against you, but having grown up in Dallas during Beckett's rise in the 80's, I have my issues with them as well. The only one I will discuss here is the fact that since they joined the Graded Card Market - and being they are THE Price Guide in the hobby - isn't it a bit of a Conflict of Interest to Price their OWN Graded Cards higher than anyone else's? If you wnat to PM David I'd be glad to tell you about some things that took place in the DFW area 'back in the day'.

All the best -

Smitty

David
05-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I wasn't criticizing anyone, though was commenting on the numbers.

I've heard all the conflict of interest complains against all the places. MEARS auctions, PSA/DNA used to own auction houses, what you said about Beckett. I generally judge things by the quality of the final product. No conflict of interest and incompetence can go hand in hand sometimes.

For good or bad, places like PSA or Beckett exist to make money. I'm not justifying or excusing anything, just saying.

trsent
05-27-2012, 01:19 AM
P.S. - don't forget that based on a 24 hour (around the clock) work cycle, the numbers they give break down to almost 4,000 items certified a day.

If it's only 8 hour days (even 7 days a week), that jumps that total to close to 12,000 items a day that they are claiming they are certifying.

I'm sorry if the hard numbers don't agree with many members love of the authenticators, but math is a PURE science and these numbers don't jive.

I'll even give you this scenario:

Let's presume they have 1,000 employees (which I'm pretty certain is an absurd #). 1,000 employees x 20 seconds is 20,000 seconds / 60 seconds is 333.3 minutes / 60 minutes is roughly 5.5 hours per item (on a 24 hour clock/7 days a week). But on an 8 hour clock (even staying with 7 days a week) that drops to about 1 hr 45 minutes per item.

That wouldn't be a bad number, but when you take out all the little things - again, receiving/unpacking, labeling, typing cert, repacking/shipping, entering into database, etc I would imagine that eats up a good chunk of that time.

If you and others want to continue to believe that they absolutely give EVERY item EVERY ounce of time and consideration that they deserve, I believe you are sorely mistaken.

And to David - nothing against you, but having grown up in Dallas during Beckett's rise in the 80's, I have my issues with them as well. The only one I will discuss here is the fact that since they joined the Graded Card Market - and being they are THE Price Guide in the hobby - isn't it a bit of a Conflict of Interest to Price their OWN Graded Cards higher than anyone else's? If you wnat to PM David I'd be glad to tell you about some things that took place in the DFW area 'back in the day'.

All the best -

Smitty

In other news, have forum rules changed where you can put your eBay seller name in your signature? I was told it is against the rules to promote your outside business on this discussion forum.

By the way, I try to read what you wrote, but it just gets too confusing. You trying to audit PSA/DNA's breakdown of what they have authenticated in over ten years or more, and you take everything literally. Their track record is by far the best in the business and for some reason you keep looking for issues that you can only speculate on.

I start to think you are confusing figures from all of Collector Universe's records - They include PSA/DNA, PSA, PCGS, PCGS Currency, PSA Bats and I'm sure I'm missing something.

xpress34
05-27-2012, 03:18 AM
In other news, have forum rules changed where you can put your eBay seller name in your signature? I was told it is against the rules to promote your outside business on this discussion forum.

By the way, I try to read what you wrote, but it just gets too confusing. You trying to audit PSA/DNA's breakdown of what they have authenticated in over ten years or more, and you take everything literally. Their track record is by far the best in the business and for some reason you keep looking for issues that you can only speculate on.

I start to think you are confusing figures from all of Collector Universe's records - They include PSA/DNA, PSA, PCGS, PCGS Currency, PSA Bats and I'm sure I'm missing something.

You mean like your tag that has been on forever promoting AM Sports Marketing? What a hypocritical statement.

And for the record, my eBay ID has been in my signature since the 1st day I was on GUU and I've seen many other members with their eBay IDs listed as well.

I take everything 'literally'? Of course I do when it comes to an AUTHENTICATOR. If they are going to post their numbers - which they DO - how can I NOT take them literally? If you don't take them and their authentications literally, then why are you trying to defend them against my comments.

And I'm not looking for issues, but when I saw that counter sitting at that kind of number? 19 million + items is a staggering amount of items to have been handled. Here's some more 'food for thought' to highlight just how staggering those numbers are:

If you decided to count to 1 million - and IF you could say each number in 1 second (which becomes impossible once you start getting into triple and quadruple digit numbers anyway) and you didn't stop, it would take you 11.5 DAYS (without sleeping, eating, etc to get there). There was a study done back in the 80's or 90's and they had a computer do exactly that - count to 1 million - saying each number out loud. Due to the longer numbers and the time it took to say each one, it took the computer almost 6 months - going 24 hours a day to get to 1 million.

Speculate? I think not. Too many documented cases of them getting it wrong or 'rubber stamping' items for big customers. And if you're going to say something like 'They should take care of bigger customer's' - don't. That is when the door opens for bigger customer's to float through questionable items. Dont think big customer's might do that? See the JO Sports debacle et al (that's Latin for 'and others' so you can keep up).

And AGAIN (because you obviously CAN'T read), I am NOT confusing anything. I am using a number that is CLEARLY posted on their HOME PAGE, and I stated (a few times actually since the first time I posted about this) that I am certain those numbers include Card Grading, Coins, etc., but as usual you only read what you want Joel.

I'm certain you defend them because you are probably a good customer of theirs and you don't want to say anything against them.

Everything I have laid out - AGAIN - is from numbers taken from THEIR page, not some 3rd party source, and if if 's not correct, then they can come here and defend themselves or correct the numbers.

You can keep trying to shoot holes in the arguments I've made, but the bottom line is that the ONLY number I have speculated on is how many employees they have. I revisited their site and on their 'experts' page, they list 22 people.

That got me to do more research which actually shoots holes in YOUR arguments, because I went the Collector's Universe page and when I selected the home page for PCGS (the Coin grading division), their home page and info states they have been around since 1985 and have certified over 24,000,000 coins. That alone points to the PSA, PSA/DNA page's number of over 19,000,000 items certified as having ONLY to do with the sports side of the business.

I'll just leave it at that.

And for what it's worth, I'm sorry that the written word, facts extrapolated (that means 'taken from') their own site and simple math is too confusing for you to follow.

But it doesn't matter what I say. You have your opinions - and you're welcome to them. But I have mine as well and if you don't like me expressing them, well that's just too bad.

Best wishes -

Smitty

jppopma
05-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Smitty, Are you questioning the number of items they really have authenticated or thinking that they just slap stickers on items without doing very much research?

As for numbers, businesses and people have long been using estimates and not keeping track of every single action. Does anyone think that someone physically counted every person at the million man march? Back in the 80's when McDonald's had the running tally on number of people served, was that an exact and precise number based on a customer tally computer somewhere?

Regarding the original post, it looks like PSA/DNA likely wrote a COA and confirmed a photomatch that was provided by the owner.

trsent
05-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Smitty, Are you questioning the number of items they really have authenticated or thinking that they just slap stickers on items without doing very much research?

As for numbers, businesses and people have long been using estimates and not keeping track of every single action. Does anyone think that someone physically counted every person at the million man march? Back in the 80's when McDonald's had the running tally on number of people served, was that an exact and precise number based on a customer tally computer somewhere?

Regarding the original post, it looks like PSA/DNA likely wrote a COA and confirmed a photomatch that was provided by the owner.

I'll stick to the original discussion and not get sidetracked by those looking to dispute something that has nothing to do with the original topic.

I do not believe PSA/DNA could have wrote a COA for an autograph, as I do not see or read about an autograph in the description. I did email PSA/DNA asking about this letter/service and they promised me a reply after the weekend.

I have a hunch it was a service they experimented with for a short time. It would have been nice for Grey Flannel to have posted a copy of this letter for us all to see and examine.

xpress34
05-27-2012, 12:52 PM

I'm simply stating that the number of items that they claim to have 'certified' (i.e. Auto Authentication, Card Grading, In the Presence, etc) is pretty astronomical over a 14 year period.

As for the numbers, we're not talking about McDonald's and their 1,000's of locations and 'generalizations' over 'over a million served', or 'over a billion served', etc. We're talking about a company that better be tracking 'every single action' when they tout their 'unique certification number assigned and stored in our database'. If they're not tracking every single action, then why are they in the authentication business? And - again - it is THEIR counter on their site that has the numbers tallied down to single digits, NOT a 'general statement' such as 'over 19 million items certified'.

I never argued that they didn't write a COA or confirm a Photo Match to a photo provided by the submitter of the item. I simply stated when the OP asked if PSA/DNA was going to start doing a 'Photo Match' service that I'm sure they would do the same thing they do with autographs. If it's inconclusive, I'm certain they will still keep your money and give you their apologies for not being able to authenticate. That bore the question as to how many items they state they have certified and how much time per item does an average authentication get (using the ENTIRE number of certified items as a base). I'm certain some (In the Presence for example) take 10 seconds or so each (NOT including cataloging the Cert # or writing the cert) to do as opposed to ones that need lots of research.

If they get into actually doing 'Photo Matching' - not comparing to a photo already supplied, but actually having to do research - how much time will they put into each one before calling it inconclusive?

I'm sorry if my take on the 'system' grinds some people the wrong way, but after people were 'betrayed' over the years by outfits like J.O. and the other defendants, finding out much of the Barry Halper collection was either fake or obtained by ill gotten means, etc., I don't take anyone or any company in this industry at face value.

JSA (a founder of PSA/DNA , Collector's Universe) who helped create their system has made plenty of mistakes too - the biggest of which (and which also underlines the 'easy to identify auto statement' etc as being very naive) was his handling of the Certification of Jack Johnson's Autograph on his boxing card. SIMPLE research verifies the card was produced two years AFTER Johnson had DIED. Yet they certified it. Do you really believe the same types of oversights don't happen at PSA/DNA and other authenticators?

I'm really not trying to 'stir the hornets nest' as they say, but I also don't like watching collector's 'follow the leader' like Lemmings to the cliff edge.

As I said to Joel - and everyone else - you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that.

I'm also entitled to mine and am simply laying out the facts that are available for each and every member to use as they will.

This is no different than when members have varying opinions on whether certain items presented are authentic or not. Everyone states their opinions and observations and everyone makes their own conclusions based on that information.

All the best -

Smitty

trsent
05-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm simply stating that the number of items that they claim to have 'certified' (i.e. Auto Authentication, Card Grading, In the Presence, etc) is pretty astronomical over a 14 year period.

As for the numbers, we're not talking about McDonald's and their 1,000's of locations and 'generalizations' over 'over a million served', or 'over a billion served', etc. We're talking about a company that better be tracking 'every single action' when they tout their 'unique certification number assigned and stored in our database'. If they're not tracking every single action, then why are they in the authentication business? And - again - it is THEIR counter on their site that has the numbers tallied down to single digits, NOT a 'general statement' such as 'over 19 million items certified'.

I never argued that they didn't write a COA or confirm a Photo Match to a photo provided by the submitter of the item. I simply stated when the OP asked if PSA/DNA was going to start doing a 'Photo Match' service that I'm sure they would do the same thing they do with autographs. If it's inconclusive, I'm certain they will still keep your money and give you their apologies for not being able to authenticate. That bore the question as to how many items they state they have certified and how much time per item does an average authentication get (using the ENTIRE number of certified items as a base). I'm certain some (In the Presence for example) take 10 seconds or so each (NOT including cataloging the Cert # or writing the cert) to do as opposed to ones that need lots of research.

If they get into actually doing 'Photo Matching' - not comparing to a photo already supplied, but actually having to do research - how much time will they put into each one before calling it inconclusive?

I'm sorry if my take on the 'system' grinds some people the wrong way, but after people were 'betrayed' over the years by outfits like J.O. and the other defendants, finding out much of the Barry Halper collection was either fake or obtained by ill gotten means, etc., I don't take anyone or any company in this industry at face value.

JSA (a founder of PSA/DNA , Collector's Universe) who helped create their system has made plenty of mistakes too - the biggest of which (and which also underlines the 'easy to identify auto statement' etc as being very naive) was his handling of the Certification of Jack Johnson's Autograph on his boxing card. SIMPLE research verifies the card was produced two years AFTER Johnson had DIED. Yet they certified it. Do you really believe the same types of oversights don't happen at PSA/DNA and other authenticators?

I'm really not trying to 'stir the hornets nest' as they say, but I also don't like watching collector's 'follow the leader' like Lemmings to the cliff edge.

As I said to Joel - and everyone else - you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that.

I'm also entitled to mine and am simply laying out the facts that are available for each and every member to use as they will.

This is no different than when members have varying opinions on whether certain items presented are authentic or not. Everyone states their opinions and observations and everyone makes their own conclusions based on that information.

All the best -

Smitty

So you wrote all this because IF PSA/DNA starts a photo-match service you don't like if they do the research and keep your fee if they can't find a photo-match?

What did this have to do with the original topic?

xpress34
05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
I'll stick to the original discussion and not get sidetracked by those looking to dispute something that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Wow Joel! Again, the pot calling the kettle black.

My original post on this thread had everything to do with this post when cost vs time to have them photo match came into question.

I made a statement about how much time on avg is spent on an authentication and YOU - yes YOU Joel - asked if I knew 1st hand how much time was spent per authentication, so I explained how I arrived at the avg time.

You couldn't take the information as provided an make your own conclusions, YOU - again, YOU Joel - began questioning 'speculated' numbers, etc. so I explained and told you exactly where I got those numbers from their site.

I'm sorry that the factual information doesn't jive with what you want it to be, but the numbers are what the numbers are. They are not contrived or arbitrary - they are what the math works out to be no matter how you cut it.

And FWIW, after seeing that they have 22 experts who authenticate, I can give you a much more specific number as to the AVG amount of time spent on each certification (again, this is an AVG based on ALL of the certifications they claim) and I won't bore you or confuse you with the math.

The AVG time spent per certification based on THEIR hours (posted on the site if you dig around - they show 9-4 which is 7 hours a day M-F, but Customer Service is 7-5 M-F which is 10 hours so I'll use that since they do shows on weekends) and using 22 experts is:

Approximately 3 minutes per item.

And for the record - I have stated time and time again that this is an AVG number, not a cold hard fact, but you and others would rather try to twist it to sound like I am not taking all of the variables into acct which I have and which I have also documented in my other posts.

The point of all this goes DIRECTLY to the original post and the questions it raised - how much $ and how much TIME would it take.

The AVG amount of time per certification would DIRECTLY affect the amount of TIME available to do Photo Matches.

Oh, and BTW. talking about getting side tracked - you mean like people questioning other member's signatures? I noticed you dropped that fight real quick when I mentioned AM Sports Marketing in your signature.

If you want to criticize others Joel - start by looking in the mirror and examining your own issues first.

Have an awesome day!

xpress34
05-27-2012, 01:36 PM
So you wrote all this because IF PSA/DNA starts a photo-match service you don't like if they do the research and keep your fee if they can't find a photo-match?

What did this have to do with the original topic?

It has to do with HOW MUCH TIME would they actually dedicate to searching for a Photo Match or would each item be on a timer and if a photo isn't found (even though one may exist) will they simply call it inconclusive and move on.

I have no problem with them keeping a fee for their time - I have a problem when they claim to be the industry leader and they either authenticate an item that is later proven to be bad (by someone not in the authentication industry) or they deem an item to be 'inconclusive' simply because they haven't seen one before and they refuse to check any 'outside' sources.

So it has everything to do with the OP when the question was raised on whether they offer or are going to offer photo-matching.

xpress34
05-27-2012, 01:58 PM

BTW - are you sure you don't work in Politics the way you like to casually take ONE line from a paragraph, take it out of context and then make a statement about it.

You're obviously trying to make a fight here Joel when you disregard and ignore everything else and just grab onto one thing and try to twist it to make it sound like something was said that wasn't. I stated a FACT in reference to how much TIME would be given before calling it inconclusive.

But then again, this is exactly how you have always done on here - trying to bully people and twist their words when they don't fall in line with your ideologies and crying foul when you feel slighted or that someone has 'broken the rules' (see the comments about business being promoted in signatures) when you are being a hypocrite because you have done or are already doing exactly what you are accusing them of doing.

Here's another example - you jumped on Dave M for having a tag line in his signature that you took offense to because of it's 'political' connotations and you invoked the 'Forum Rules' which (if you actually READ them) never mention Politics or Religion. I agree that I don't believe either have any place here, but they are NOT against the forum rules. Dave was kind enough to remove the line you found offensive. My guess is you will not be so kind when I say that I find your Profile pic offensive - a T-Shirt that says I 'Jewish/Hebrew' (The Star of David) the Colts. That's a Religious message/view. How is that any different than a Political message/view. I am an Independent both Politically and Religiously and would prefer not to have any ideologies - Political or Religious - thrust upon me by anyone.

If you want to be the forum police, become a moderator. BUT, make sure your own affairs are in order before you start jumping in on anybody else.

Have an awesome weekend.

trsent
05-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Chill out - I will not read your three replies about your continued attacks against something you know nothing about but look for silly stats to try to make accusations. I will not be reading those three posts, you have way to much time on your hands, sir.

It's nothing personal, just if you don't know all the details, please don't try to confuse people. Pick up the phone and call their customer service if you have questions. Oh wait, that is a bad idea.

xpress34
05-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Chill out - I will not read your three replies about your continued attacks against something you know nothing about but look for silly stats to try to make accusations. I will not be reading those three posts, you have way to much time on your hands, sir.

It's nothing personal, just if you don't know all the details, please don't try to confuse people. Pick up the phone and call their customer service if you have questions. Oh wait, that is a bad idea.

You have no idea what I do or don't know. And I have contacted their Customer Service before and they would not give me the information I requested.

And I know why you won't read the other three posts - it's because they call you out on your own BS Joel.

I'll leave it at that.

trsent
05-28-2012, 09:17 AM
You have no idea what I do or don't know. And I have contacted their Customer Service before and they would not give me the information I requested.

And I know why you won't read the other three posts - it's because they call you out on your own BS Joel.

I'll leave it at that.

Sorry if I misunderstood your believed knowledge of the situation.