PDA

View Full Version : What Item Did You Trade, To Get Another Item, Then Regretted It?

3arod13
05-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Sold my Juan Gonzalez Game Used Glove, in order to buy an Alex Rodriguez Game Used Bat (which was well worth it). However, I still regret selling the glove, but I needed the money at that time. I was a huge Juan Gonzalez collector, and Juan personally authenticated the glove for me.

Jeffredsfan
05-19-2012, 08:33 AM
How about a game used, 1969 home Astros shooting star jersey w/ 100 year patch, #34, Cesar Geronimo, to get enough money to purchase the 5 case minimum of 1986 Topps baseball cards! I still have nightmares about that one! :(

05-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I started collecting game used back in 1975. Baseball flannels back then were much lesser items, but gosh, those awesome new knits were the cat's meow! Those were the things to get. So, in my infinite teenage wisdom, I just had to get that beautiful Mike Hegan Brewers knit that was available from another collector, and I didn't mind at all trading my 1964 Braves worn out old flannel jersey of Phil Niekro to get it! Nice move! I recall that somebody had removed the screaming brave head patch from the sleeve on the Niekro, but they left the outline of the patch on there. To this day, I wonder what happened to that Hall of Fame rookie jersey.

Tom Duino

xpress34
05-19-2012, 08:16 PM
I've had a few trades I later regretted, but have gotten over most of them.

Most recently was a GU Carlos Gonzalez (Pro Stock Spring Training Bat) that Cargo personally told me was one of his ST bats with the Rockies before his Personal models came in while he was signing it for me. He identified it by the tape job and the '5' and 'LO' (CarLOs) that he had put on the knob.

Traded it to a friend for Mike McKenry's GU 1st MLB Locker Plate and a promise to get some cards signed for me for my collection.

I got the Locker Plate signed last year at ST along with McKenry's MLB debut jersey, then the Rockies traded him. My 'friend' went AWOL, never got my crads signed, wouldn't return my calls or eMails and then shows up this year like everything was fine.

I really want my Cargo bat back!

The one - not a trade, but a sale - and not even Sports related, but Comic Books - is one that still haunts me...

In the 80's I started building a VERY serious Silver Age Marvel Collection of Key Issues. In the late 80's / early 90's I sold off everything to pay for a (ONE) Semester of College. I got close to the value of my collection (at the time) at a comic book show - about $4,500.00.

In about 1993, Silver Age Marvel started going upward - my collection today (being fair for condition) would be worth well upwards of $250,000.

My Fantastic Four #1 (signed by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on the 'splash' page) was Near Mint (about a 1/4" professional repair on the spine). I paid $300 for it Lone Star Comics in Dallas in like 1989 and BV was about $800 in MINT. I sold it about a year later to a guy I knew who only needed #1 to finish his run of FF. He kept making offers and when he said $750.00 (almost full BV and 2.5 times what I paid) I jumped at it.

Today, an FF #1 in NM - RAW (not graded) starts around $80,000.00. Graded in that condition is $160,000.00! And in today's market, books auto'd by key comic book guys (such as Lee and Kirby) can add a major Premium to that value!

So yea, I'd say I learned my lesson on getting in a rush to move my collectibles...

Dewey2007
05-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I feel your comic book pain Smitty. In 1993 I sold my entire Spider Man collection for pennies on the dollar to try and raise money to go to Paris, France. Sold it in haste and paid the price. I wouldn't trade me experience of traveling abroad for the first time but I wonder what my collection would be worth now.

I've had a few trades I later regretted, but have gotten over most of them.

Most recently was a GU Carlos Gonzalez (Pro Stock Spring Training Bat) that Cargo personally told me was one of his ST bats with the Rockies before his Personal models came in while he was signing it for me. He identified it by the tape job and the '5' and 'LO' (CarLOs) that he had put on the knob.

Traded it to a friend for Mike McKenry's GU 1st MLB Locker Plate and a promise to get some cards signed for me for my collection.

I got the Locker Plate signed last year at ST along with McKenry's MLB debut jersey, then the Rockies traded him. My 'friend' went AWOL, never got my crads signed, wouldn't return my calls or eMails and then shows up this year like everything was fine.

I really want my Cargo bat back!

The one - not a trade, but a sale - and not even Sports related, but Comic Books - is one that still haunts me...

In the 80's I started building a VERY serious Silver Age Marvel Collection of Key Issues. In the late 80's / early 90's I sold off everything to pay for a (ONE) Semester of College. I got close to the value of my collection (at the time) at a comic book show - about $4,500.00.

In about 1993, Silver Age Marvel started going upward - my collection today (being fair for condition) would be worth well upwards of $250,000.

My Fantastic Four #1 (signed by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby on the 'splash' page) was Near Mint (about a 1/4" professional repair on the spine). I paid $300 for it Lone Star Comics in Dallas in like 1989 and BV was about $800 in MINT. I sold it about a year later to a guy I knew who only needed #1 to finish his run of FF. He kept making offers and when he said $750.00 (almost full BV and 2.5 times what I paid) I jumped at it.

Today, an FF #1 in NM - RAW (not graded) starts around $80,000.00. Graded in that condition is $160,000.00! And in today's market, books auto'd by key comic book guys (such as Lee and Kirby) can add a major Premium to that value!

So yea, I'd say I learned my lesson on getting in a rush to move my collectibles...

OaklandAsFan
05-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Sold my game used, autographed, Mark Mcgwire cleats and batting gloves from his Oakland days to fund getting front row center tix to the Guns N Roses/Metallica concert in NJ back in the day. Can't say I didn't have a great time at the concert (or with my friend on the way home, while her BF was driving) but wish I still had those items. They were given to me by Mark.