PDA

View Full Version : David Wells Wears Babe Hat Again

d4347
05-16-2012, 02:50 PM
David Wells is currently auctioning his game used Babe Ruth hat with SCP Auctions. At last check, the bidding was around 200k. I know he already wore it during a game when he was a Yankee, which I personally think is nuts. However, earlier today he was a guest on MLB Network promoting the auction and he was wearing the hat again. This time, he had the headset mic over the top of it. It's one thing to wear it during the game 15 years ago but if I was a current bidder for that item, I would be pissed he is still abusing the item.

geoff
05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
And he says he wears it from time to time.I would be pissed as well if I was bidding on the hat.

barton0508
05-16-2012, 03:19 PM
That sacreligious!

He also said he wants to sell it beacuse he is selling his house and he does not want to out it in a storage room that is not climate controlled! Does a hat really take up so much room that you have to put it in storage? Tell you what Mr. Wells, I will store it for you! My house is climate controlled!:D

gingi79
05-18-2012, 12:07 AM
This is an excellent example of a very distinct line in the game worn collectors community: People who wear their gamers and people who don't. Does the fact he wore it during a game enhance or detract from it's value? Frankly I don't care. What is more important is how our differing sides see wearing this stuff.

People who wear their stuff with pride and great care see no harm. They don't wear cologne, don't sweat or affect the piece. People who are appalled by wearing stuff picture David Wells: a fat, sweaty pig of a man, wearing the item to shovel manure daily, losing his hair while his bodily fluids eat holes and destroy a national treasure.

David
05-18-2012, 01:11 AM
My normal wear around baseball cap is a game used cap. Though it's 1990s, a common player and cost me $15-- less than retail. And I'm not auctioning it. It just happen to fit me and I like the style.

David
05-18-2012, 01:18 AM
All you need to know about David Wells is he said he was misquoted in his autobiography.

sox83cubs84
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
This is an excellent example of a very distinct line in the game worn collectors community: People who wear their gamers and people who don't. Does the fact he wore it during a game enhance or detract from it's value? Frankly I don't care. What is more important is how our differing sides see wearing this stuff.

People who wear their stuff with pride and great care see no harm. They don't wear cologne, don't sweat or affect the piece. People who are appalled by wearing stuff picture David Wells: a fat, sweaty pig of a man, wearing the item to shovel manure daily, losing his hair while his bodily fluids eat holes and destroy a national treasure.

Very well said.

Dave Miedema

David
05-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I think David Wells is full of himself, and thinks that if he wears the Babe Ruth's cap it must increase the value.

In my opinion, if he wants to wear the cap once for the camera's that fine, almost neat. He's a former Yankee. But if he's wearing it while watching tv, in games, etc, that's not a good thing. It's known as the ick factor.

David
05-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I think he doesn't realize people want a cap worn by Ruth not David Wells. It's like finding out that that Sotheby's Audrey Hepburn you won wa worn gown was slept in by Rosie O'Donnell. Yeah, Rosie's famous, but that at least partially ruins the mystique.

sox83cubs84
05-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I think he doesn't realize people want a cap worn by Ruth not David Wells. It's like finding out that that Sotheby's Audrey Hepburn you won wa worn gown was slept in by Rosie O'Donnell. Yeah, Rosie's famous, but that at least partially ruins the mystique.

If Rosie slept in it, I'd burn the darn thing!:mad:

Dave Miedema

yanks12025
05-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Well sold for $287K, I think he wearing it added some value to it.

gorilla777
05-19-2012, 09:17 AM
It's not closed yet, so stay tuned. Most of the SCP Auction items end tonight. Last night was just the Dmitri Young card collection. Should be interesting to see where all this killer GU stuff goes ultimately....

yanks12025
05-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Yeah I just noticed they close tonight, I thought all lots ended last night.

d4347
05-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Hat sells for $537,278. A nice return for Wells, who I read paid $35k for it.