PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Base ?

baseballfan0721
05-16-2012, 01:38 AM
I have a Texas Rangers 1st base from 2003 and want an autograph on it , the question is would it be dumb of me to get a current player on it or should I get someone from that year to sign it . what do y'all think .

coxfan
05-16-2012, 05:17 AM
It's your individual choice. For me, I'd go for someone who played on the 2010 or 2011 AL Championship teams, the all-time highlights of that franchise, but either way is good.

Klattsy
05-16-2012, 06:31 AM
I would have thought someone from 2003 as they where the ones that "used" it. Plus then you could get an inscription on it.

yanks12025
05-16-2012, 07:13 AM
I agree someone that played in 2003. I really see no point in having a member of the 2010 or 2011 team sign it cause they weren't playing for them in 2003.

coxfan
05-16-2012, 03:38 PM
If you know the date of the game in which it was used, you can check retrosheet.org or maybe another website to find at least the box score and other info such as the play-by-play, as well as the club roster. I don't think the Rangers specified innings used for bases back then, but remember that bases are typically replaced every three innings. I think A-Rod, Texeira, and Palmero were the main Rangers in 2003.

frikativ54
05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
I would have thought someone from 2003 as they where the ones that "used" it. Plus then you could get an inscription on it.

+1

marino13
05-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I have a Texas Rangers 1st base from 2003 and want an autograph on it , the question is would it be dumb of me to get a current player on it or should I get someone from that year to sign it . what do y'all think .

To each his own - would be my first reaction, since it is your item and you decide what to do with it.

Unless this item will NEVER be sold, then I would say it is DUMB to have current team signed on past item. Doing so, would say that you have your priority all crossed up. The pending buyer(s) would be like, "Hey, this guy is not even on 2003 team, then why did he signed it?"

If anything, I would do a little research on who were the popular back then and try to get them to sign it. Or better yet, check on game date and see who got standout numbers during that game and go with that.

Please dont destroy a unique item with irrelevant signature!

:D

(I stand on the same deal with multi-signatures on one item. One signature is more than enough.)

baseballfan0721
05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the input !! Now I have the difficult task of trying to get Tex (Mark Teixeira)to sign it since it is a first base . Or I could get Micheal Young to sign it he also has been with the club since 2000 . What would y'all do !!

jtorrez
05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the input !! Now I have the difficult task of trying to get Tex (Mark Teixeira)to sign it since it is a first base . Or I could get Micheal Young to sign it he also has been with the club since 2000 . What would y'all do !!

http://www.steinersports.com/upcoming-signings.html

June 30, 2012 at the Steiner Store or you can send it in.

coxfan
05-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Tex was a rookie in 2003, debuting with the Rangers right at the start of the season and acting as their regular first baseman most of the year. However, he played around 30 or so games at other positions. If you have the box score from your game from retrosheet.org or other sources, you could check it out to see who were the first basemen for both teams in that game. Do you mind sharing the date and opponent? If so someone here might have additional thoughts. Such additional research and info often adds interest to a g-u item for most collectors.

marino13
05-17-2012, 09:25 AM

I am going to Teixeira signing in June - got a couple Rangers and Braves bats that I want to get signed. Mark is a very private person and he doesnt do much public signing, so this will be huge and chances are it will be sold out before you know it.

What was the date of the game? Was it authenticated by MLB?

It would be easier to get some research done if the game date is available.