PDA

View Full Version : If Petco is such a pitchers park.....

gingi79
05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
ESPN recently did an article that bemoaned the Miami Marlins new park as nearly impossible to hit a HR out of. They went on to say the Padres park, either the original or whatever they rename or redesign it as, was the original impossible park to hit well in. Apparently, the warm Southern California air made the ball die easily on long drives to the point where Adrian Gonzalez never hit a HR after 8 PM in his home park.

Can't it therefore be said that through no fault of his own and only the consequences of his surroundings, Travis Hoffman's save total is worthless?Shouldn't it be regarded as more horrifically overblown and climatically enhanced than any steroid users? If Rivera didn't surpass him, the all time save leader pitched in a park whose climate made it nearly impossible to hit in, thereby supposedly insuring his Save. No one would doubt he was a HOFer before this article came out, do these facts change anything?

scootmagroot
05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
You're an idiot.

kudu
05-14-2012, 01:04 AM
I googled Travis Hoffman and no one by that name played for the Padres.;)

Trevor on the other hand, played for Milwaukee in 2009 and had 37 saves with a 1.83 ERA. Was 2009 a fluke for Trevor Time? I am thinking no.

scootmagroot
05-14-2012, 06:14 PM
I googled Travis Hoffman and no one by that name played for the Padres.;)

Trevor on the other hand, played for Milwaukee in 2009 and had 37 saves with a 1.83 ERA. Was 2009 a fluke for Trevor Time? I am thinking no.

Don't forget about Jack Murphy/Qualcomm (which was much more of a hitters park) from 1993-2003 on mostly TERRIBLE teams (only broke 80 wins 2 times, '96 and '98)

xpress34
05-14-2012, 06:47 PM
ESPN recently did an article that bemoaned the Miami Marlins new park as nearly impossible to hit a HR out of. They went on to say the Padres park, either the original or whatever they rename or redesign it as, was the original impossible park to hit well in. Apparently, the warm Southern California air made the ball die easily on long drives to the point where Adrian Gonzalez never hit a HR after 8 PM in his home park.

Can't it therefore be said that through no fault of his own and only the consequences of his surroundings, Travis Hoffman's save total is worthless?Shouldn't it be regarded as more horrifically overblown and climatically enhanced than any steroid users? If Rivera didn't surpass him, the all time save leader pitched in a park whose climate made it nearly impossible to hit in, thereby supposedly insuring his Save. No one would doubt he was a HOFer before this article came out, do these facts change anything?

Gingi -

I know you're a Hockey guy, so I'll cut you some slack... ;)

The way you put your argument ONLY addresses HOMERUNS.

Although not a HR 'friendly' park, no one ever said that players didn't get hits, steal bases, etc there.

There is so much more to 'saving' a ball game than just keeping players from hitting home runs. Inducing players into groundballs and popups still requires the skill of the pitcher and the location of his pitch.

On the other hand, if you're going to attempt to slam Hoffman because of his stadium, we could just as easily slam Rivera because of his team mates using 'Roids (ARod, Clemens, Pettitte, Giambi - and who knows who else) over the years to get the games to the point of him getting the chance to pitch for the save.

I'll close with this statement - since 1995, EVERYONE (fans, media, etc) have slammed Rockies players when they have good season's saying they had 'Home Field Advantage' playing at Coors Field and it skewered their numbers, etc.

If you look at most any player, their numbers SHOULD be skewered at home - they play 1/2 their games there! It's called having a comfort level - I can't say I've ever seen or have ever been made aware of a player who has better numbers on the road.

And too that point, Hoffman had 310 Saves at Home vs 291 on the Road, so while 'skewed' to his Home Park, it also shows he was pretty level no matter where he pitched.

All the best -

Smitty

emann
05-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Apparently, the warm Southern California air made the ball die easily on long drives to the point where Adrian Gonzalez never hit a HR after 8 PM in his home park.

Having watched him here for a season now, it seems that Adrian can't seem to hit many home runs after 8 PM in the cold Eastern Massachusetts air either. ;)

gingi79
05-14-2012, 09:35 PM
You're an idiot.

Yeah my post was tongue in cheek because the so called writers on ESPN seem to leave out the fact the long time Saves leader Hoffman pitched there for so many years yet complain about the "fact" hitting in San Diego is proven to be influenced by weather.

But thanks for showing the class this site has started to lack.....:rolleyes: