PDA

View Full Version : Loyality

snick33
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
So I only collect Pittsburgh Steeler and Notre Dame Football items now. I really like the Game Jerseys. But Steeler jerseys are kinda out of my price range. I was thinking about collecting some Notre Dame players that made it pro. From other teams around the league. Anyone else do this? I kind of feel like a traitor if I would. By the way I don't own any jerseys yet but I got the itch. Any input on collecting would be great thanks

UTeric3232
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Ya, it makes you feel kind of dirty. That's why I sold all my ex longhorn nfl jerseys. I'm sticking to college items only. The only nfl game used items I collect are cleats of ex longhorns since they don't have any team logos.

jppopma
05-08-2012, 09:36 PM
My loyalty stays with the player (especially since I collect local kids that go on to play). Whatever team is willing to draft them and give them a chance is AOK in my book.

As I was taught; you gotta love the game, not any team....because you never know where you might land.

masp3392
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I was strictly miami hurricanes jerseys but i follow wherever willis mcgahee goes since he's my #1 priority in my collection. as a fins fan, if he happens to go to the jets or bills, so be it (as much as it pains me to own one) ... :D

perlman9
05-09-2012, 07:21 AM
I am a huge buccaneers fan and Michigan State fan. While I have about 30 Bucs jerseys, my main focus is getting a Michigan State alum from every team. As you say, Steelers is near impossible, but am getting there with many other teams. I figure maybe some day I can donate it back to the university or something, but I am a MSU fan first so don't think I am dissing my Bucs by having the jerseys... here is my MSU collection if you wanted to get an idea if its something you would want to do...
www.photobucket.com/msugameworn

dcgreg25
05-09-2012, 07:30 AM
I actually collect NFL jerseys of former ND players and have about forty to fifty at this point. I have a small collection of ND jerseys as well. My other areas of collecting are team collections so it is a nice way to be able to display jerseys from a variety of teams while still keeping with a theme. On top of that, it is almost impossible to find pre 2000 Notre Dame jerseys from a lot of the popular players of the 80s and 90s.

otismalibu
05-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Could always wet your feet with any older retail jersey. Maybe taboo to say on a Game Used board, but some of the older ones are quite comparable to game jerseys and display well.

Something like this. Although, I've seen these older Steelers retail jerseys sell for more than some current (non-Steeler) game used jerseys.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_Bus4.jpg (http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/?action=view&current=Bus4.jpg)

misteremu
05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
I collect game used Pro jerseys from former Eastern Michigan University players...I have about 75 jerseys in my collection.

snick33
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I just want to bump up the collecting. I only have a pair of cleats and a poss Game helmet. It was just too cool to pass up and I think I bought it from a member on here. But whats a reasonable price for jerseys? I know it depends on a lot of diff things. I know ND'S on Steiner are around 400. Any info would be much appreciated. I've been trying to read old forums.

beavisrules
05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
The prices for Notre Dame gamers is certainly variable - however, gamers from the last 10 years can be had for $100 to $150 a piece for a walk on or even second string player in the secondary market. Notre Dame jerseys of players who made it in the NFL or starters who have a significant amount of game wear will go for considerably more.

Shipp_96
05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
So I only collect Pittsburgh Steeler and Notre Dame Football items now. I really like the Game Jerseys. But Steeler jerseys are kinda out of my price range. I was thinking about collecting some Notre Dame players that made it pro. From other teams around the league. Anyone else do this? I kind of feel like a traitor if I would. By the way I don't own any jerseys yet but I got the itch. Any input on collecting would be great thanks

As a fellow Steelers fan in your same boat, I used to also collect Penn State players jerseys and cleats that went to the NFL. I still have some of those players cleats but got rid of most of the jerseys in a trade. It is...weird...to for example hate the PukeSkins or Iggles and have jerseys from them in your collection, even though you loved that player in college.

I now collect mostly helmets (and some cleats still) and have many schools and teams in my collection I do not like, but love the rarity of the helmets. The variety IMO makes my collection look interesting and usually sparks even casual collectors to compliment it. I think if it's a Steelers only collection per say, you may get the drool factor from a fellow Steelers fan but everyone else it does nothing for. Of course, at the end of the day it is for you to enjoy.

The fact I now get excited about an Iggles throwback helmet, or a USF Wounded Warrior worn helmet when I could normally careless about these teams expands your collection options and makes for a more exciting hunt, IMO.

snick33
05-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Ok need a little more help. Im looking into a few ND jerseys. Are there really this many people out there trying to scam. Or do I just not know what im talking about. I found a jersey for sale its size 52. So I searched for some photos and in every one the player wore a size 42. So I backed away from that seller. Looking at another selling off a collection. He has jerseys listed that the number was not used on the team the year the jersey is listed for. I guess id be better to stay with a company like Steiner then look for a good price. The good deals dont seem to be good deals at all. They seem to be fakes. Any thoughts? Thanks

legaleagle92481
05-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Collect what makes you happy. Lifes short, its your collection and you might as well collect what makes you happiest.

BrianK
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
You may want to check CBS Sports Auctions from time to time. I've seen Steiner jerseys and helmets show up here, and when they do, the prices are more reasonable.
http://auctions.cbssports.com/gallery.cfm?cat_id=4&Sub_Cat_ID=&view_id=24

Overall, I'd say give it time. As you learn more, the search becomes easier and less frustrating.

dcgreg25
05-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Snick, shoot me an email and I would be happy to share some resources with you. I have a couple ND jerseys I would sell now as well as some NFL jerseys of former ND players.

gadsden86
05-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm a die hard dolphins collector but i do have some stuff from other guys i like. It seems when it comes to gmae used items it is different to me and i dont mind as much.

hockeytigers
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Are you on the other forum with the Dan Carpenter jersey?

snick33
05-14-2012, 05:28 PM
No sorry not me.