PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when you try to take an MLB hologram off a jersey

kylehess10
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I noticed this tonight at the Braves game used store. Looks like somebody tried to take the hologram off this JC Boscan Spring Training/BP jersey

http://i46.tinypic.com/8zk1h5.jpg

yankees24
05-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Are these items on display so that fans can go through them, or are they placed behind a counter and only a sales person can assist you with looking at them? If they are out in open display, does this concern collectors that people going through them can ruin a photo-matchable area, or add stains not originally on the jersey?

kylehess10
05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
They're outside the store on racks. I always see a lot of people going through them. The only jerseys that are in a case are Chipper, Uggla, Kimbrel, McCann & Freeman. There's another rack with other Freeman, Heyward, Hanson, Hudson, etc etc jerseys that fans can go through as well.

http://i49.tinypic.com/34470ab.jpg

frikativ54
05-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I noticed this tonight at the Braves game used store. Looks like somebody tried to take the hologram off this JC Boscan Spring Training/BP jersey

http://i46.tinypic.com/8zk1h5.jpg

Maybe it was a young kid? Why else would anyone do this to a jersey?

bcbeas
05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
This store located in the stadium?

kprst6
05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Maybe it was a young kid? Why else would anyone do this to a jersey?

The same reason why when you let some people touch your game-worn items they try to rub off the dirt, pick at the loose threads, pull the un-repaired holes etc. People get curious as to what happens and ruin things for others.

kylehess10
05-03-2012, 09:24 AM
This store located in the stadium?

Yes, this is inside the stadium on the second level by the Chop house

jppopma
05-06-2012, 08:00 PM
You should see the shoulders on the white jerseys after they sit on the racks for a few months with random people coming by and moving from one to the next. It is sickening!

Worse yet is biting your tongue when you see that slob fan with a beer in one hand, hot dog in the other, and still managing to look through them.

frikativ54
05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
You should see the shoulders on the white jerseys after they sit on the racks for a few months with random people coming by and moving from one to the next. It is sickening!

Worse yet is biting your tongue when you see that slob fan with a beer in one hand, hot dog in the other, and still managing to look through them.

Or when a fan tries on the game used hats, adjusting the bills and everything. I was screaming on the inside. :eek: :eek: :eek:

jshortt
05-07-2012, 11:38 PM

That's why the Reds keep their good stuff out of the reach of those folks, and the ones that are out in dry cleaning bags, haha. Would you rather the display look a bit tacky, or for the merchandise to get ruined?

They have stepped it up this year. Last year, they had Aroldis Chapman's Jackie Robinson jersey in a glass case, but in DIRECT sunlight all day. I told them they needed to move it, and the response I got was "Eh well, somebody will get it at a nice discount when the sun washes it out." They are also stuck with several "Great 8" Big Red Machine autographed balls where all the signatures have faded out because they've sat in the sun all season.

-Josh

tella27
05-08-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm sure the teams that are selling these things don't hold as much of a collectors value on them due to these types of things are everyday items. A friend of mine has tons of his game used stuff from him and other players just in boxes in his garage. I always get the same "Take it" answer when I go through his stuff and say you have ____________ just sitting in a box.

flota89
05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
The Cardinals occasionally will put autographed items facing the window of their game used story. They usually fade quickly.

cubbs1232
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
[quote=tella27;292096]I'm sure the teams that are selling these things don't hold as much of a collectors value on them due to these types of things are everyday items.quote]

I agree, for them its a business. I'm sure they could careless wheter its in sunlight, tried on, picked at, etc. as long as they can still sell it.

MLB~NUT
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
toddman26@sbcglobal.net

BamaHater
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
The Astros before they sold their game used stuff had them sitting in boxes in storage. Some of the jerseys they had were 25+ years old. I saw some white rainbow era jerseys they were trying to sell that had bleeding and yellowing from being stacked on top of each other for so long. They had imprints on the jersey that sat on top of it. It made me sick to find out that most of the flannel Astros jerseys were thrown out years ago at the Astrodome because they were stored improperly. They were crammed in boxes that allowed mildew and moths in. When they finally went to clean them out they stunk of mold and mildew and basically fell apart to the touch. So sad. This is one reason the Astros really don't own many flannel era jerseys if any. Most of the ones they have are on loan from collectors.