05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Shocking story developing:
http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior-seau-shooting-police/

frikativ54
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Geez...hard to believe. :(

BULBUS
05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
It's obvious that Junior had problems. It's a shame that he didn't seek help or no one offered to help. RIP

kudu
05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Stunned. RIP Mr. Seau.

8th player that has died from the 1994 Super Bowl team:confused:

Preston
05-02-2012, 02:15 PM
unbelievably sad. Truly one of my favorites to watch for the better part of two decades.

frikativ54
05-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Sounds like suicide via a gunshot wound. :(

camarokids
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Once again someone taking the easy way out by killing themselves!

What problems are large enough to warrant the will to longer live?

No excuse for this action of cowardice! Too many kill themselves instead of seeking help. Should have asked God for help!

David
05-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I highly disagree.

In the case of mental illness or brain injury, the person may not have the self control or self awareness that you apparently think or she would have.

I'm not suggesting I know why Junior Seau committed suicide.

frikativ54
05-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Not to derail the thread, but I don't think suicide is "the easy way out." Some people are in such physical or mental torment that ending life seems like the most peaceful and painless option. I don't know all of the particulars of Seau's case, but for some, the demons are so bad that they destroy the will to live. :(

Blitzmaster
05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
@ Camarokids.....what kind of answer is that???

First, Seau shot himself in the chest which is common for people with mental issues to do as they want their brain left intact for medical examination. He probably was in tremendous pain to make a decision to end his life.

Second, it has been proven that repeated concussions can cause constant and permanant pain that no medication(short of being drugged into a walking coma) can cure with modern medicine.

Thirdly, It always amazes me how someone who is in good health and leading a happy life can "Thump" a bible and tell someone who is down to "TALK to GOD" and it will be okay. Not everybody has the same beliefs OR wants to listen to preaching everytime things go bad.

10thMan
05-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Rest in Peace Junior & God Bless your Family.

As a Native San Diegan & someone that has met him several times, I`m deeply saddened. Say what you want about Demons etc...We ALL have them. Anyone that says they don`t, I won`t Believe.

It takes Strength to be Vulnerable

Sean

Billy77
05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
RIP Jun...

U are a good friend with a compasionate soul.

Thoughts and prayers to the Seau family...

U will be missed...

Billy

R. C. Walker
05-02-2012, 06:45 PM

No excuse for this action of cowardice! Too many kill themselves instead of seeking help. Should have asked God for help!

Is it easy to kill ones self? Please enlighten me.

What problems did Junior face? Any information on that? Please inform us all. I would like to know. Possibly the slamming of his head against opponents for 20 years caused an issue? You’ve experienced that and know the long term effects?

Do you know for a fact that Junior did not ask for help? Once again, please explain . . . .

cubbs1232
05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Every 88 MINUTES a U.S. combat soldier kills themselves, are they taking the easy way out? Or could it be the constant bombing/shooting, "shell shock" if you will, that they are exposed to takes a toll on certain parts of their brains?

In Seaus case the hitting and pounding on a daily basis might have done the same thing to his brain as a combat vet. I would go out on a limb and bet when they do an autopsy they will find damage to his frontal lobe and his temporal lobe

camarokids
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
So does that mean all NFL players with veteran status will be 86'ing themselves?

I don't think we can compare NFL players to combat vets.

Blitzmaster
05-03-2012, 01:25 AM
I think only an Idiot(not directed at any one here) would compare ANY 2 people. I have played 4 years of high school football, 4 years of college football(3 years at a Division I, PAC-10 school) and at 45 years old, I am still playing Semi-professional football. I know how my body hurts and Cannot fathom how someone who played 12 years of professional football at the intensity level that Seau played at feels every morning when they wake up.
My brother is a 20+ year Army vet and has served Numerous "Tour's of Duty" in Somalia, South America, Afghanistan, and Iraq(twice). He is currently home and leading a normal life with no side effects. In those 20 years, he never suffered one concussion either so I guess your right, there is no comparison!
In my opinion, Camarokids is the coward.....good to know that your God gave you the knowledge and entitlement to JUDGE peoples actions! Maybe now, he can take a well deserved day off and let you do his work.

Blitzmaster
05-03-2012, 01:31 AM
I don't know Camarokids, so my remark about him was uncalled for and inappropriate. For that I apologize! His earlier comment hit a nerve and that was my comment, Sorry.

trsent
05-03-2012, 01:34 AM
@ Camarokids.....what kind of answer is that???

First, Seau shot himself in the chest which is common for people with mental issues to do as they want their brain left intact for medical examination. He probably was in tremendous pain to make a decision to end his life.

Second, it has been proven that repeated concussions can cause constant and permanant pain that no medication(short of being drugged into a walking coma) can cure with modern medicine.

Thirdly, It always amazes me how someone who is in good health and leading a happy life can "Thump" a bible and tell someone who is down to "TALK to GOD" and it will be okay. Not everybody has the same beliefs OR wants to listen to preaching everytime things go bad.

Amen brother. Couldn't have put it any better myself.

camarokids
05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
My opinions on taking ones life.

Sure Junior was a great player in the NFL. I watched him numerous times. He beat my Dolphins tons of times.

But as far killing ones self, whether it is mental or physical? It is still wrong. Except maybe in extreme cases. For all we know Junior tried to kill himself when he drove off the cliff???

Sorry for the judging. For tho shall not judge. It is too easy to judge others.

I am not taking any ones comments personally. I know/knew I would take heat for my stance and that is ok! I know, well knew, some who killed themselves. They only hurt the ones who loved and cared for them. Which is/was a selfish act.

otismalibu
05-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Like the SI website cover page says...

Football may have had nothing to do with Junior Seau's suicide. Or everything.

I knew a guy in HS that had was a great athlete, outgoing personality, liked by everyone. Always a smile, always joking around. In his early 40s, he did the same thing Junior did. Some people can mask it pretty well.

jbcindc
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I think only an Idiot(not directed at any one here) would compare ANY 2 people. I have played 4 years of high school football, 4 years of college football(3 years at a Division I, PAC-10 school) and at 45 years old, I am still playing Semi-professional football. I know how my body hurts and Cannot fathom how someone who played 12 years of professional football at the intensity level that Seau played at feels every morning when they wake up.
My brother is a 20+ year Army vet and has served Numerous "Tour's of Duty" in Somalia, South America, Afghanistan, and Iraq(twice). He is currently home and leading a normal life with no side effects. In those 20 years, he never suffered one concussion either so I guess your right, there is no comparison!
In my opinion, Camarokids is the coward.....good to know that your God gave you the knowledge and entitlement to JUDGE peoples actions! Maybe now, he can take a well deserved day off and let you do his work.

With all your preaching I see that you were quickly able to capitalize on Seau's passing by listing a game worn Seau jersey on e-bay. Way to stay classy Blitzmaster. We all make judgments every day and I guess you judged Seau's death as a perfect opportunity to make money.

Blitzmaster
05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Lol, here comes the peanut gallery!!!!! Jbcindc, I suggest you have someone who is educated read this post to you before you reply so that your response ACTUALLY pertains to my post. Not really sure why me selling a jersey that I have owned for the past 10 years has to do with anything. He was a great player but I didn't personally know him so I sold it. If that makes me less classy, then so be it........ Lmk if you actually have anything to say that has to do with this topic.

G1X
05-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I thought that this thread pertained to the passing of Junior Seau and the intent was to pay our respects, and perhaps even to share a fond memory or two of his career. Based on a number of posts in this thread, I guess that I am terribly mistaken.

May you rest in peace, Junior Seau.

Mark Hayne

Blitzmaster
05-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Mark, you are absolutely correct!

helmets
05-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I thought that this thread pertained to the passing of Junior Seau...and perhaps even to share a fond memory or two...

Sharing a fond memory to break the tension...

kudu
05-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Sharing a fond memory to break the tension...

WOW, nice helmet! Thank you for sharing. Kinda eerie with that David Griggs "92" sticker on it.

Eric
05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
RIP to the heart and soul of my Chargers for many years. Here's a pic of a Dolphins gamer which is hammered. (BTW helmets, if you ever want to sell that Seau helmet, come to me first!)

Eric
ecky3@aol.com
@ericstangel on twitter

10thMan
05-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Nobody in the history of San Diego Sports/Personalities have contributed more Time, Effort & Money than Seau or Gwynn. I`m not sure Gwynns doing well. Seau was known to "drop everything" when in need to help Local young Athletes & did it REGULARLY. I met Junior quite a few times either Parking his SUV, or at a local Cigar Shop. Junior frequented a La Jolla Restaurant on Friday nights & I was a Valet there for a few years, in my offseason. When Junior pulled up I would outrun the other (much younger) Valets to get to him & he knew it, he always seemed to like it. After doing this, he would look me "up & down" & Smile, making me feel like I still "had it" I don`t care what ANYONE says, including Toxicology, it won`t change how I felt about him.

This is a Tremendous Loss for the Seau Family & Friends, The Community of San Diego, Charger & Sports Fans as well as the "Close Knit" Polynesian Community. Sean

Blitzmaster
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM
There was an interesting story in the San Jose Mercury with Seau's old teammate, Gary Plummet......

Gary Plummer hopes the death of his former teammate Junior Seau sparks a change in the way the NFL sends its players back into society.

"There is no exit strategy from the NFL," Plummer told this newspaper from his San Diego home Thursday. "It's: 'You're done.' You don't even get an apple and a road map."

The former linebacker played beside Seau for four seasons on the San Diego Chargers before Plummer joined the 1994 49ers' Super Bowl-winning team.

On Thursday, Plummer, 52, said he's doing "terrible" a day after Seau's death, which has been ruled a suicide by the San Diego County medical examiner's office. He hopes it brings awareness to the struggles of athletes whose lives so suddenly change upon retirement. Specifically, Plummer wants all departing players to receive mandatory counseling so they can cope with life after football -- something with which Seau apparently struggled, Plummer noted.

"You can grow up and live your childhood dream and be a hometown hero and then feel, 'Is this all there is?' when it's over," Plummer said.

Seau's family has decided to allow researchers to study his brain for evidence of damage as the result of concussions, Chargers chaplain Shawn Mitchell told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday night.

Mitchell said the family came to the decision to allow Seau's brain to be studied "to help other individuals down the road."

Plummer, a former Cal star, played professionally for 15 seasons, starting with the Oakland Invaders of the USFL from 1983-85. He played with the Chargers from 1986-93 and the 49ers from 1994-97. Plummer estimated he endured 1,000 concussions over his career, which he acknowledges is a startling number.

Said Plummer: "In the 1990s, I did a concussion seminar. They said a Grade 3 concussion meant you were knocked out, and a Grade 1 meant you were seeing stars after a hit, which made me burst out in laughter. As a middle linebacker in the NFL, if you don't have five of these (Grade 1 effects) each game, you were inactive the next game.

"Junior played for 20 years. That's five concussions a game, easily. How many in his career then? That's over 1,500 concussions. I know that's startling, but I know it's true. I had over 1,000 in my 15 years. I felt the effects of it. I felt depression going on throughout my divorce. Junior went through it with his divorce."

Since leaving the 49ers broadcast booth a year ago, Plummer has been enjoying retirement, and he typically saw Seau six times a year, including at a charity golf tournament two weeks ago.

Here are some other insights from Plummer:

"The NFL has made great strides in having an independent evaluator on the sidelines for concussions. What needs to happen now is, and Junior is a perfect example: You're judged not just on the way you played the game but the most revered characteristic is how tough you are. You're taught that you need to be a tough guy, and not just physically."

"Junior obviously had been facing demons for at least 18 months. That's no longer speculation. People can take pills, run their car off the road, and that's a cry for help. He was crying out for help. Yet he was too proud to ask for it."

"What needs to happen is mandatory counseling. In 15 years as a middle linebacker, I never would have thought of seeing a counselor. I saw one in my divorce, and I just called my counselor today. It can't be optional, because macho players are taught to be invincible, and they're not going to do it. Make it mandatory.

"When we're forced out, try to give us tools (for) what we're going to face. I've talked to former teammates who've struggled mightily. Not just within a year of being out but several years. One guy felt he was wandering aimlessly.

"It needs to come to light that this was not an isolated incident."

When they saw each other last month at the golf tournament, Plummer asked Seau how he was doing, and after an upbeat response, Plummer pulled Seau off to the side to ask again.

Plummer said Seau gave the same response: "Good, really."

It's that fear of showing vulnerability that Plummer hopes other NFL players learn to overcome.

David
05-05-2012, 03:17 AM
I always liked Junior even though he never played for a team I liked. He was a great, relentless player and seemed to have an appealing personality. It's sad he died and in such an unpleasant way.

cliffjmp33
01-10-2013, 09:28 AM
ESPN/ABC is reporting that Junior did suffer from CTE. Link is below and I believe ESPN is having their OTL at 3 today on this.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8830344/study-junior-seau-brain-shows-chronic-brain-damage-found-other-nfl-football-players