PDA

View Full Version : David Wells - portfolio manager?

gorilla777
04-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I had this email forwarded to me from one of the equity analysts in my firm; I thought that it should help my case that I have been touting for us to add Game Used items as a viable component within our Alternative Asset Class mix in portfolios. I'm not sure they thought it was funny when I recommended interviewing Wells for a position. ;)
He would probably liven up the holiday party though....

Ben

Subject: David Wells for PM of the decade

Maybe David Wells got the whole thing right. Who would have guessed the pitcher would outperform a majority of fund managers!

The former Yankee pitcher bought a Babe Ruth ball cap 15 years ago for $35,000 The hat is now estimated to be worth $400k (that’s an 11 fold return or nearly 17.8% return every year!!)

For a point of reference the move in the S&P over the last 15 yearsis 3.8% annually

Maybe this is why alternative investment managers have been so hot…

yankees506
04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Ben, now David wore this cap at Yankee Stadium durring a game and I have always wondered if that would de-value the cap just a bit. Maybe he's a bit less of a investment genius than one might think. ;)

gorilla777
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Ben, now David wore this cap at Yankee Stadium durring a game and I have always wondered if that would de-value the cap just a bit. Maybe he's a bit less of a investment genius than one might think. ;)

Crazy like a fox; he was just re-upping the chubby guy smell in the hat.

I know there were some folks not pleased seeing him wearing that out on the mound in a game. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Costanza wears Babe's jersey to a staff meeting and starts smearing his strawberry stained hands all over it in order to get fired (of course Steinbrenner likes it and says "it's time to tear down the past" and Ruth "was just a fat old man with little girl legs"...good stuff.:p