PDA

View Full Version : question for bat collectors

Dodgers101
04-29-2012, 06:17 PM
For a while now I've been trying to figure out the best way to display the bats I have. Basically whether or not to put them in a bat tube and then on a bat rack or to just display them on the rack without the tube. Curious to know what some of the members do. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, John

ncbadges
04-29-2012, 07:50 PM
I use both displays..with and without tubes.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/Rangers2.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/batrack.jpg

MLB~NUT
04-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Me personally, I prefer the horizontal rack it just looks so much nicer, that's how mine are kept in multi-bat cases... Plus you won't have to worry bout dust or uvlight as much :D cool collection

Trublubrucru
04-30-2012, 06:45 AM
For me, horizontal with tubes was the way to go. You don't have to turn your head to read the bat, they don't bang into each other, and dusting tubes is easier than dusting the actual bats. I tried horizontal with out tubes, to me they look a little askew, and tend to roll a bit because of the handle to barrel dimension ratio.

DUTCH613
04-30-2012, 07:59 AM
For me, horizontal with tubes was the way to go. You don't have to turn your head to read the bat, they don't bang into each other, and dusting tubes is easier than dusting the actual bats. I tried horizontal with out tubes, to me they look a little askew, and tend to roll a bit because of the handle to barrel dimension ratio.

Beautiful Display and collection.! I am a vertical bat display guy but this is making me think twice. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan Greenlee
Miguel Cabrera collector

rjdgonebats
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Great looking display!! Did you make the peg holders or were they purchased ?? Would like to know?? Thanks

Trublubrucru
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I made them myself. Wood rails from Home Depot and wooden pegs in bulk from a Texas hobby company. Measuring, marking, and drilling takes up a lot of time (184 holes on mine), and pounding the pegs in straight and even takes a while, but the effort pays off in the end. Best of all, to hang 88 bats in racks cost only $85.00 in materials, less than a buck a bat.

rwoodsbats
04-30-2012, 10:30 PM

I decided on vertical because I was able to come up with a quick and easy way of hanging them up, and I was able to mass produce the 2x4’s. If you need some bat tubes I have a few that I would like to see leave the house. Shoot me an email if you are in need.

DUTCH613
05-01-2012, 10:08 AM

I decided on vertical because I was able to come up with a quick and easy way of hanging them up, and I was able to mass produce the 2x4’s. If you need some bat tubes I have a few that I would like to see leave the house. Shoot me an email if you are in need.

Wow, nice display too!! What did you use to hang the bats on, if you dont mind me asking?

Dodgers101
05-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow very nice displays from everyone. My collection is only about 20 or so bats.
rwoodbats curious to know haw difficult it is to keep those bats clean from dust. That was my main concern if I don't use bat tubes.

CampWest
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I used to do a vertical hanging in BCW bat tubes... drill small hole just below the top cap and put a series of small nails in the wall and that mounts the bats flush against the wall.

Biggest issue I have with choosing whether to display in a tube or not, is whether or not to drop $7+- per bat on a tube. Also a tube is of limited use on a bat that is broken in two.

On the flip-side, the UV protected BCW tubes can help preserve autographs... Which is something of a pretty big benefit if you ask me. Especially if your display room gets a lot of sunlight.

joelsabi
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
two problems i see using no tubes or enclosed display case is dust on autographs and dust accumulating on undried pine tar of bats, both not good for preservation of original state of the bat. owners can weigh that against the pros of open air bats such as easy access to bats and less museumlike atmosphere. cheers.

tony433433
05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I know that I am new to the GUU forum and I do not have this plan implemented yet, but if you have a handful of bats (or a handful of top quality bats you wish to display prominently), I have always been partial to the "coffee table" display, it's kind of the best of both worlds, the bats are "out in the open" but trapped underneath the glass. You get the protection against dirt, dust, and UV Rays (with UV-protecting glass) AND you can do away with your top-end bats being in tubes. Plus, a coffee table (to me) is the centerpiece of a room, especially when you have a few big time gamers displayed in it.

Just a thought.

I am going to try to build one in the next year. So once it's complete, I can take some photos. I've taken some ideas already found online and going to make it my own.

CampWest
05-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I know that I am new to the GUU forum and I do not have this plan implemented yet, but if you have a handful of bats (or a handful of top quality bats you wish to display prominently), I have always been partial to the "coffee table" display, it's kind of the best of both worlds, the bats are "out in the open" but trapped underneath the glass. You get the protection against dirt, dust, and UV Rays (with UV-protecting glass) AND you can do away with your top-end bats being in tubes. Plus, a coffee table (to me) is the centerpiece of a room, especially when you have a few big time gamers displayed in it.

Just a thought.

I am going to try to build one in the next year. So once it's complete, I can take some photos. I've taken some ideas already found online and going to make it my own.

That would be pretty cool... For a smaller collection I have used a showcase / curio cabinet similar to this. I had to clean it out and store it while we do some work on the basement, but hoping to get it set up again sometime soon...

http://www.nfm.com/GetPhoto.ashx?ProductID=20884714&Size=L&ImageID=0

joelsabi
05-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Just a thought.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91vvdXlx-9L._AA1500_.jpg

I like this without the foosball. doesn't look boxlike and doesn't look like a baseball card display case with legs. look forward to seeing your coffee table.

CampWest
05-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Here is a sample of my vertical "nailed to the wall" display... And a sample of my showcase display. When I set it up again, I'll probably leave out the jerseys and switch up the shelf configuration to be all bats and fielding gloves.

rwoodsbats
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Wow, nice display too!! What did you use to hang the bats on, if you dont mind me asking?

I used a Ubolt, keeps them from doing a swan dive at 3am and it also keeps my friends from thinking they can take them off the wall. I did not use the nuts on the back side to fasten them, so you can take them on and off with ease (but they don't know that)

"rwoodbats curious to know haw difficult it is to keep those bats clean from dust."

Truth be told, I have not noticed if they need to be dusted yet. They have not been up for too long. The big name players that I have which is a small number are under glass in a case safe from all evil.

stlbats
05-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Those bat tubes that are sealed on one end would be perfect for the vertical hanging design. I think they are made by Ultra Pro.

Jason

stlbats@bellsouth.net