PDA

View Full Version : What Will Steiner Do?

www.huston-street.com
12-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Now that Greyflannel's auction is over... Steiner was previously pricing Yankees jerseys usually starting between $500 - $750 for commons regular season jerseys and World Series worn jerseys between $2000- $4000. Since most of their common World Series jerseys were in the $600 & less range and as low as $303 for a game worn World Series jersey.. do you think Steiner will use this as a more inline price guide and start selling their jerseys at more reasonable prices.. or do you fell they just will not do auctions like this anymore? I got 2 awesome Yankees jerseys in this auction... so for me it was a win situation.

JimCaravello
12-10-2005, 02:30 AM
I am truly amazed at how low some of the prices were in the Grey Flannel auction - not only for Yankees jerseys, but for other pieces as well. Regarding the Yankees jerseys, the market has been flooded and saturated by Steiner with post 1997 jerseys - both game used as well as issued jerseys. I personally think that collectors are pushing back - saying, yes, I have always wanted Yankees jerseys in my collection - but how many post I'll call it 1995 Yankees jerseys do I really need? Prior to Steiner selling Yankees jerseys, if a Yankees jersey hit the market - for sale, auction - whatever - everyone took a run at it. "Yankees jerseys are tough" was what most dealers and collectors used to say. I think the mindset now is, "there will be another and I can wait - or I am not going to pay that much"

A great recent example outside of Grey Flannel is the American Memorabilia auction which just ended. There was a 1995 Boggs home pinstripe in that auction, with the memorial armband and #7 on the sleeve. That jersey sold for $1931 before the hammer. Here you have a HOFer - Yankees 1995 jersey which collectors love, selling for $1931??? I think that same jersey sold for over $3500 earlier in the year in another auction!! A road 1995 Boggs with the armband and patch sold for $6060 in March this year in American Memorabilia!!

Back to Steiner - what am I really getting from Steiner? There are numerous stories of people buying from them and not getting what was advertised. They need to do more homework on what they are selling. The secondary market has even become flooded with post 1995 Yankees jerseys and as I mentioned in another post, what are you really getting? You can buy a game issued jersey from Steiner, play a couple of softball games in it and wash it a few times and wala! Its Game Used! Oh - Sorry Mr. Purchaser, I don't have a COA, but I got it from Steiner and you can see the use on it. How many newbies to the hobby will get caught in this lie?

On top of that, how many pro-cut / game issued Yankees jerseys do you see on ebay that have not come from Steiner? To me - its a very scary proposition to buy some of the newer Yankee pieces in the market. Have I bought any - Yes, one WS jersey in the auction that I believe I have photo matched. Have I bought from Steiner? Yes - but only jerseys from the 80's - the old Wilsons with the white piping and name - year - set stitching in the collar.

Just like any other free market in this world - supply and demand will dictate pricing and right now, the supply outweighs the demand.........

All this and I have not answered your question - NO - I don't believe Steiner will change their pricing - not when I continue to get e-mails from them with spectacular specials on autographed memorabilia that I just laugh at when I get them. I received an e-mail yesterday that was a must open - yeah, it was a must open and delete it e-mail!! Their pricing on autographed memorabilia is just ludicrous and thus I do not think they will change their pricing that much on what they offer on their site.......

whirl
12-10-2005, 11:53 AM
I see what you mean about the uniforms after scanning the prices realized. My interest is in bats. Lot #1334 had 19 gamers from the 1998 Yankees including Bernie, O'Neill, Martinez and Posada, all of which regularly sell for $400-$500 each. They also had a Jeter which goes for $1000+. I was scared off by what I anticipated to be a huge price and the thought of the phone line bidding in the live portion of the auction. I am kicking myself now. The reserve was $1000 and the high was $1331. I got Lot #436 including Strawberry, Brosius, Canseco and five others at $585. The other bats, for the most part, seemed to come in low. Certainly much lower than what Steiner sells them for or even what you would expect to find on eBay. What happened?

trsent
12-10-2005, 12:07 PM
What happened?

I know, The Red Sox, then The White Sox won the World Series? :)