PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - 1955 Topps Koufax Rookie Card

rufusandherschel
04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Would appreciate help/any assistance from Forum members re. the 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax Rookie #123 baseball card. Does anyone know of the existence a 'counterfeit' or 'counterfeit' Koufax Rookie card(s)? has/have seen one(s)? etc. If so, any 'tell-tale' distinguishing features to look for (e.g., card stock, coloration, print marks, etc), etc. Any help/assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

David
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
The real card isn't rare and, other than the homemade computer printer fakes on eBay, I don't recall there being many reprints of it. So I don't think it's as big a counterfeit worry as with other big cards.

Not having one in hand, I'm pretty sure the fronts of the 1955 Topps cards are a bit glossier than the backs. The backs are matte. The difference in gloss would be a good sign it's genuine.

David
04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
If it's a homemade computer printer version, the backs would be made up of a tiny multi color dot pattern on the back under high magnification. They often also have a funny cut.

The real cards were printed on a old school piece of cardboard. You can see it when looking at the back and when when looking at the sides.

JJKANDLAK
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Would appreciate help/any assistance from Forum members re. the 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax Rookie #123 baseball card. Does anyone know of the existence a 'counterfeit' or 'counterfeit' Koufax Rookie card(s)? has/have seen one(s)? etc. If so, any 'tell-tale' distinguishing features to look for (e.g., card stock, coloration, print marks, etc), etc. Any help/assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Counterfeit cards are a major nuisance. Most of the onces that I have seen are on a slightly lighter card stock. If I remember correctly both the 1955 and 1956 Topps BB issues are on pretty heavy stock compared to today's cards. Be real leery of anyone offering you a sweetheart deal on a Koufax rookie, Namath, Ryan, etc.

David
04-25-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree. The original 1955 Topps were on a slab of cardboard, thicker than modern cards.

rufusandherschel
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
If it's a homemade computer printer version, the backs would be made up of a tiny multi color dot pattern on the back under high magnification. They often also have a funny cut.

The real cards were printed on a old school piece of cardboard. You can see it when looking at the back and when when looking at the sides.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated

rufusandherschel
04-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Counterfeit cards are a major nuisance. Most of the onces that I have seen are on a slightly lighter card stock. If I remember correctly both the 1955 and 1956 Topps BB issues are on pretty heavy stock compared to today's cards. Be real leery of anyone offering you a sweetheart deal on a Koufax rookie, Namath, Ryan, etc.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

sox83cubs84
04-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Bob Lemke of SCD and a former card dealer, Sally Grace (who crossed over to the dark side of beanie babies when they were the rage) collaborated on a book in the 1990s about reprint cards and how to spot them. I'm not sure of the exact title or where you can get one (other than maybe Krause Publications) but if Koufax rookies were a problem card for reprints, it'll probably be there.

Dave Miedema

David
04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I just found a 1955 Topps common and it isn't that thick. The front has a slight gloss and the back barely has one.

I've been involved with cards for a long time-- and did have said Lemke book--, and I can't recall a reprint other than something Topps did (which will be labelled reprint, will be very glossy and of a smaller size).

There are cards out there where I would tell a collector to be very careful due to all the reprints (1933 Goudey Ruths, T206 Honus Wagners of course, 1952 Topps Mantle, others), but the Koufax rookie wouldn't make the list.

rufusandherschel
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I just found a 1955 Topps common and it isn't that thick. The front has a slight gloss and the back barely has one.

I've been involved with cards for a long time-- and did have said Lemke book--, and I can't recall a reprint other than something Topps did (which will be labelled reprint, will be very glossy and of a smaller size).

There are cards out there where I would tell a collector to be very careful due to all the reprints (1933 Goudey Ruths, T206 Honus Wagners of course, 1952 Topps Mantle, others), but the Koufax rookie wouldn't make the list.

Thanks again, David.

rufusandherschel
04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Bob Lemke of SCD and a former card dealer, Sally Grace (who crossed over to the dark side of beanie babies when they were the rage) collaborated on a book in the 1990s about reprint cards and how to spot them. I'm not sure of the exact title or where you can get one (other than maybe Krause Publications) but if Koufax rookies were a problem card for reprints, it'll probably be there.

Dave Miedema

Thanks, Dave. I recall hearing of that publication, but have never actually seen one.