PDA

View Full Version : Heritage RUTH 33 all-star game jersey

jboosted92
10-07-2006, 09:38 AM
People who have subscribed to MEARS to read the article on the "supposed 33 jersey"

CollectGU
10-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Very interesting read...

both-teams-played-hard
10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Even if you're not a MEARS member, you can read a summary of Dave Grob's research on their bulletin board. Great for all pinstripe photo-matchers!

ChrisCavalier
10-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

In response to Dave Grob's recent article on the Babe Ruth jersey in Heritage Sports' October 28th auction, Chris Ivy has asked that we post the information below to help collectors understand Heritage's stance on this issue.

Please note this is being posted as per the request of Heritage Auctions. Mr. Ivy also wanted to make it known that if any potential bidders have further questions they can contact him directly.

The following is what Mr. Ivy asked that we post to inform the collecting community of Heritage's opinion of the situation:

October 9, 2005

Mr. Dave Grob
MEARS
4034 W National Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53215

RE: 1933 Babe Ruth All-Star Game Worn Jersey

Mr. Grob,

As you are aware, I recently read the article on the MEARS website outlining your opinion of the Babe Ruth jersey being offered in Heritage Sports’ October 28th auction. Please understand that while we clearly respect the expertise of the MEARS team, most notably that of acknowledged expert Dave Bushing, we feel the article itself is replete with misleading statements that should be, in all fairness, retracted, or corrected. I’m confident that you will do the right thing after you have read this letter and analyze it’s content.

First, it must be stated up front that the offered item is unquestionably a Babe Ruth game worn jersey. As it is now, anyone reading your article would be left to believe otherwise. Given the fact that your lead authenticator Dave Bushing personally wrote a letter to this effect several years ago, one would have to believe that was not your intent to lead people to believe otherwise. To our knowledge there has never been any question raised that the “B. Ruth” embroidered in the collar and the number “3” on verso are original and authentic. Surely you don’t dispute Mr. Bushing’s opinion on this, nor would use your own website to announce that your top jersey authenticator is incompetent. So it’s reasonable to assume we agree—that this is a Babe Ruth game worn jersey. If I am wrong in the assertion please let me know.

Please consider another point. Mr. Bushing states in his letter that the jersey dates from the 1932 to 1934 era. It’s considered axiomatic by every industry expert that players of this era had two home and two road jerseys per season. So, it’s safe to assume that during this expanse of time, Ruth wore six pinstriped jerseys. Are you unsatisfied with Mr. Bushing’s dating of the jersey? Clearly it has to be 1929 or later, as it has a number on the back. Babe Ruth only wore twelve pinstriped and numbered Yankees jerseys. And since this is a Babe Ruth pinstriped and numbered game worn jersey, would you not agree that it is one of those twelve?

Following this logical progression you appear to be claiming that this is one of the other eleven home numbered and pinstriped jerseys that Ruth wore as a Yankee. If that’s the case you must acknowledge the statistical probability that identical pinstripe patterning on two jerseys from a sampling of twelve is beyond remote. If you are able to point to an instance where the pinstripes in the photo of Ruth do not match the ones that are still present on the jersey, we would be interested to see it. Look at how the stripes of the collar area meet the body of the jersey. Look at the stripes’ relation to the buttons. Look at how the stripes line up at the shoulders. Is there any discrepancy? If you believe that these countless identical alignments are possible in two different Ruth jerseys then you’ll find yourself in extremely limited company.

Note how we stated in the previous paragraph that you had not pointed to “an instance where the pinstripes in the photo of Ruth do not match the ones that are still present on the jersey…” We acknowledged in our auction copy that the jersey’s sides had been tapered, which made your counting of the pinstripes in support of your argument a little confusing to us. Yes, we both agree, the jersey isn’t as wide as it once was. Equally confusing is your contention that, in order to taper a jersey; it would need to be entirely disassembled. That is incorrect. Here is what most certainly happened: The tailor cut the jersey on each side from the shoulder seam to the hem. The sleeves were removed from the pieces that were cut away. The sides of the thinner jersey were re-hemmed, and the sleeves re-attached to the narrower body. This is not complicated, as tailors do this every day.

I understand that there have been some hurt feelings regarding our decision to discontinue the use of MEARS’ services, but this reckless and completely unfounded attack posted on your site is unacceptable. Surely you understand the seriousness of your actions, and the repercussions that will result from anything short of a complete and instant retraction by 10:00 pm CST October 9th.

Sincerely,
Chris Ivy
Director of Sports Auctions
Heritage Auction Galleries

jboosted92
10-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Regardless of what Chris Ivy wrote, I think Dave G. was protecting MEARS from being associated with the claim of 1933 all - star jersey, because it says "letter from Dave Bushing". One may think that Dave B. would agree with this claim in his supporting "letter".

However, from a sale point of view, Ivy has the right to describe the jersey has he pleases, as long as he doesnt claim Dave B. shares his opinion.

IMO, this is wear the Auction Description and LOO have that fine line..

just my 2 cents

CollectGU
10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
However, from a sale point of view, Ivy has the right to describe the jersey has he pleases, as long as he doesnt claim Dave B. shares his opinion.

just my 2 cents

I have to diasagree with this comment. Mr. Ivy can't decide to describe this Ruth jersey as THE All-Star jersey to simply help boost the sale. He would have been better off offering it as a Ruth gamer with the possibility that it was from the All-Star game and offer their proof and let the bidder make that determination. The fact that it is being claimed as THE 33' All-Star jersey probably adds adds $100,000 or more to the value...

Dave

jboosted92
10-11-2006, 05:15 PM
[quote=CollectGU;23327]I have to diasagree with this comment. Mr. Ivy can't decide

Why cant he, its his auction, he could say its an AROD jersey..