PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken 1997 TBTC Jersey

mr.miracle
10-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Okay, Howard, Mark, Rob, anybody have any feedback on this current Universal Rarities Ripken TBTC jersey reportedly from 1997? I swear I have seen this before somewhere but cannot place it.

mr.miracle
10-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Sorry, here is the link.
http://www.urauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=6293&getauctionid=58

I swear I have seen this sometime before. The questions seem to be, were these jersey's mass produced for retail sale, how many of these were made each year for each player for the one game that they were used in? So far, UR auctions has not responded to my request for close up photos of the tagging on the jersey or the LOA's. If anyone has any feedback or if you know if and when this jersey or a similar one was auctioned before please let me know. This is not from the GF People's Court game that was never played right? The picture from the other auction lot seems to prove that a jersey that looks like this one was worn in a TBTC game at some point. Whether or not this is the jersey is the million dollar question.

Thanks

mr.miracle
10-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Okay, Howard, Mark, Rob, anybody have any feedback on this current Universal Rarities Ripken TBTC jersey reportedly from 1997? I swear I have seen this before somewhere but cannot place it.

Sorry, its been a long day, the jersey is actually from 1996 and the auction says that. I was thinking 97 for some reason.

bigtime59
10-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Relative to the Gregg Zaun jersey I have (purportedly) from that game, the number looks very low. Now, how many fake Zaun jerseys are there out there relative to the number of fake Ripkens?
The Ironclad holo is most likely for the autograph, leaving us with a jersey "authenticated!" by! Lou! Lampson! and we all know what THAT means when it comes to Orioles gear...
(Photos of the Zaun will be posted tomorrow.)

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

PAT HODGINS
10-07-2006, 06:46 AM
The auction description states that this exact jersey is also pictured in lot 145, a signed photo from the game. However, when comparing the two jerseys I think it is obvious that they are are not the same.
On the jersey up for auction, there is a large space between the R in Orioles and the black piping running along the right. In the photo auction the R appears to touch the black piping. Second, in the jersey auction, the I is placed directly on the black piping with no space between the piping and the dot on the i. However, in the photo auction, the i is placed to the right with space between the I and the piping.

Either I am way off base OR the auction house is providing photographic proof the the jersey up for auction is NOT game worn.

Pat Hodgins

mr.miracle
10-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Relative to the Gregg Zaun jersey I have (purportedly) from that game, the number looks very low. Now, how many fake Zaun jerseys are there out there relative to the number of fake Ripkens?
The Ironclad holo is most likely for the autograph, leaving us with a jersey "authenticated!" by! Lou! Lampson! and we all know what THAT means when it comes to Orioles gear...

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

Oh, come on Mark, who would not attempt to fake a Gregg Zaun jersey :rolleyes: You are right though, the Ironclad holo I am sure is for the auto and yeah, that means the Lampson COA which screams run.

I am going to try to compare this to the pics from the other auction photo and see if I can see the same things Pat Hodgins is pointing out. I appreciate all the feedback.

allstarsplus
10-07-2006, 10:19 AM

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

Given the Iron Man inscription which Cal first did about 3 years ago for Collectors Showcase, my guess is all those inscriptions are fairly new and the IronClad Authentics is strictly for the sig and inscriptions.

I would call this an expensive Stats jerseys as the inscriptions don't even pertain back to this particular TBTC jersey or the year it was used.

Do we know what Lampson had to say about the "game use"?

allstarsplus
10-07-2006, 10:22 AM
The auction description states that this exact jersey is also pictured in lot 145, a signed photo from the game. However, when comparing the two jerseys I think it is obvious that they are are not the same.
On the jersey up for auction, there is a large space between the R in Orioles and the black piping running along the right. In the photo auction the R appears to touch the black piping. Second, in the jersey auction, the I is placed directly on the black piping with no space between the piping and the dot on the i. However, in the photo auction, the i is placed to the right with space between the I and the piping.

Either I am way off base OR the auction house is providing photographic proof the the jersey up for auction is NOT game worn.

Pat Hodgins

Hard to see but i agree.

It would be interesting if Mitchell & Ness could confirm that they produced additional jerseys for sale. The other explanation could be that Cal was issued a 2nd jersey...I think that would make it a "game issued Stat jersey"!!!