PDA

View Full Version : Did Royals actually make an offer to Pudge?

RJB44
04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Much of what I have read of late doesn't really clarify whether or not the Royals actually offered Pudge a contract. If they did, why would Pudge decline? I thought he was anxious to keep playing.

CampWest
04-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes the Royals did. They offered after Salvador Perez injured his knee in Spring Training.

Not many details came out. My understanding from some tweets and insiders and sports talk radio is that it was money and playing time. Like many aging veterans, they think they are worth the money they earned in their prime. They get an offer and are overly confident that the $5 million contract is going to come from another team. They don't want to insult themselves by playing for a measly $1.5-2.5mil. Secondly, I think the Royals told him upfront that when Sal Perez is healthy, Sal would return to the everyday starter at C and Pudge would be second string.

My understanding is that the salary and the non-guarantee of playing time after Sal's return were deal breakers.

As to be expected, no "better" offers came.

RJB44
04-19-2012, 08:07 PM
I see, thanks for the info. It's funny how often times your here about how these veterans want to keep playing because of their love of the game, often saying they have nothing to prove or achieve, specially those who have played 15 -20 years. But your right, it's all about "status" and pride. They maintain that mindset that they are a premier player and will not settle for anything less. I guess that's why many players choose to retire rather then take an ST invite or minor league contract. BTW.. how's that working out with Pettitte, didn't he sign a minor league deal with the Yankees. Like he is going to play in minors, c'mon. I thought Pudge would have taken that opportunity. He has been around long enough to know that's how it works at the end of your career.

sox83cubs84
04-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I see, thanks for the info. It's funny how often times your here about how these veterans want to keep playing because of their love of the game, often saying they have nothing to prove or achieve, specially those who have played 15 -20 years. But your right, it's all about "status" and pride. They maintain that mindset that they are a premier player and will not settle for anything less. I guess that's why many players choose to retire rather then take an ST invite or minor league contract. BTW.. how's that working out with Pettitte, didn't he sign a minor league deal with the Yankees. Like he is going to play in minors, c'mon. I thought Pudge would have taken that opportunity. He has been around long enough to know that's how it works at the end of your career.

This is the same reason OF Jermaine Dye never surfaced again after the White Sox released him a few years ago. He had a set amount he figured himself to be worth. Several teams (including the Cubs) were interested, but none even offered him half of what he thought his value was...so Dye went bye-bye.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
This is the same reason OF Jermaine Dye never surfaced again after the White Sox released him a few years ago. He had a set amount he figured himself to be worth. Several teams (including the Cubs) were interested, but none even offered him half of what he thought his value was...so Dye went bye-bye.

Dave Miedema

And potentially why Johnny Damaon, Vladamir Guerrero and Hideki Matsui are all still sitting at home this season...

xpress34
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Johnny Damon that is...

gingi79
04-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I cannot imagine growing up and being the best player on my Little League team, the best player on my high school team, drafted by an MLB club or playing in college as a top tier prospect, spending time seeing the world of Minor League baseball, making The Show, establishing myself, becoming an All Star, winning titles and then being told one day "You aren't good enough anymore"

Imagine the sole definition of yourself for your entire life suddenly being taken from you. I can only imagine it is jarring to go through, having to redefine yourself after 35 years. It's real easy to say "Yeah, but look at the life he had" but unless you die, what the hell do you do now?

sox83cubs84
04-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Johnny Damon that is...

Damon just signed a minor league contract with the Indians...I don't expect him to be in the bushes for too long.

Dave Miedema

xmartyx
04-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Damon actually stayed true to the "I don't care about the money, I just wanna play" comments. It just took him so long to sign because the Indians are the only ones taking a shot on him.