PDA

View Full Version : Mets Jersey only Alternates?????

suave1477
10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Hello Members I am curious or maybe I missed something somewhere but I noticed.
Before I make this statement please realize I have not seen all Mets Games, but I am speaking from what I have seen his year.

Is it me or the Mets mostly using the White Alternate Jerseys for Home Games this Year.
From what I can see in Getty Images, Skipping through TV when the Mets were playing, and from what I see hitting the Market through Ebay and Steiner.

All I see is the White Alternate Jerseys, I don't see hardly any pinstripe Jerseys!!!

Can anyone chime in and shed some light?????

metsbats
10-06-2006, 07:42 PM
"Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News reports on the uniform change in the Mets Notebook column of the Sunday, July 11, 2004 issue. In his report, he refers to this uniform as the "white home uniform." The Mets still consider the snow-white jersey to which Rubin refers as one of the "alternate" home uniforms. The pinstripe uniform, despite its infrequent use, is still the "official" home uniform. Even when the Mets pinstripe home uniform makes a rare appearance, it is often paired with one of the black alternate caps instead of the more traditional all-blue cap. It has been speculated that the reason for the scarcity of appearances of the all-blue cap is that the dugout jacket is black and as such does not go well with the all-blue cap. In order to minimize instances of players wearing the all-blue hat with the black jacket, it is rumored that the Mets try not to wear the all-blue hat in any weather except the hottest of temperatures, since almost no one will be wearing the jacket on an extremely hot day. (A statement to this effect was repeated to me and attributed to Mets Equipment Manager Charlie Samuels in early 2004, but to date is unverified by this author.) "

Suave,

I noticed too that the pinstripe (which is still the official uniform verse the "white" alternative) is used infrequently.

The above is from Micheal Cesarano's write up on the history of Mets uniforms which can be found on:
http://www.ultimatemets.com/uniforms.html

Sounds like plausible theory avoiding a mismatch of the black jacket and the blue caps.

David