PDA

View Full Version : Need some help deciding...

Shipp_96
04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
If this is the wrong forum place for this post I apologize and ask it be moved.

So I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of NFL worn cleats from two players, but my budget only allows for one pair to be bought at this time. They are the exact same price. Both pair come from reputable places (one directly from the team, the other directly from the player).

One pair is playoff used and signed to that effect. This player is a C- NFL talent but was a HUGE college talent and had one of the greatest seasons in my schools history. I can photo match these to the playoff game as well. These would unquestionably be more "valuable" to the owner who is a college fan then to an NFL fan. But as you can see from my collection on posts I have made I am a HUGE fan of college football.

The other pair are unsigned, but were worn by a prominent (at one time) B- NFL talent that has somewhat diminished in the years. However he was a pivotal player in a Super Bowl. There are many photos of him wearing the cleats, but I have not had the opportunity to match them (yet).

I would mention the names, but with these "in play" want to wait until I buy one, then will gladly reveal them both. My wife FYI says to go with the Super Bowl player.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

frikativ54
04-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Hi Shipp,

I would first try to photomatch the other pair of cleats. Then, if both can be photomatched, I would go with the player that you like more, which would probably be from the guy who played at your college. Ultimately, the items we own are meant to be enjoyed, so choose the one that makes you happier and more excited when you look at it. I wouldn't necessarily choose the better player, especially if you don't even like watching him.

Good luck. :)

otismalibu
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I think I know the 2nd player :)

Shipp_96
04-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi Shipp,

I would first try to photomatch the other pair of cleats. Then, if both can be photomatched, I would go with the player that you like more, which would probably be from the guy who played at your college. Ultimately, the items we own are meant to be enjoyed, so choose the one that makes you happier and more excited when you look at it. I wouldn't necessarily choose the better player, especially if you don't even like watching him.

Good luck. :)

Hey Les,

Thanks for your helpful input (as always ;)). I loathe being so..coy..about items. I will say I really did enjoy watching the better player in the past, but he has since become kind of a disappointment in his on-field / off-field actions (big non intentional hint right there). The better player holds a special place for me as he was involved in a great many plays in the Super Bowl he was in. It's not about better value down the line for me, but more or less as you stated which item will bring me better joy owning.

And hey Greg, you probably have guessed right :)!

masp3392
04-14-2012, 04:13 PM
super bowl it up bro!

jppopma
04-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Personally, I'd go with the local players...but that's what I focus my collection on. Having an emotional tie to a piece if more fulfilling for me than value.

If the pair was not worn in the super bowl, I wouldn't add much to them.

Shipp_96
04-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. They were not worn in the Super Bowl. I am leaning towards the player from my school, but am going to give it the rest of this week to make a clear decision.

Shipp_96
04-19-2012, 05:59 PM
So as promised, I made my decision and will share the players I was deciding between on with these cleats. The pair I (for now) decided against was a pair of Michael Robinson signed cleats from the playoffs. He was the PSU QB when they went 13-1 and won the BCS Orange Bowl and Big Ten in 2005, finishing #3 in the country. Again, I know these will excite no one outside of State College.

The ones I went with were from the Steelers MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, Santonio Holmes. Yeah, I know he is a knucklehead off the field and sometimes on. But in 2008 he had one heck of a magical season and playoff run, capped off with the greatest TD catch in Super Bowl history!

These pair were worn with the JETS in 2011, not the Steelers. For the price I could not be happier to have acquired them, and they will go nicely with the framed SI I have of him catching the SB TD.

frikativ54
04-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Enjoy the spikes. Glad you are happy with your decision. :D