PDA

View Full Version : New Twins Collector

tony433433
04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey guys, first time typer, long time lurker.

I am relatively new to the GU collecting ring, but the GU flu hit me hard after acquiring my first awesome piece of memorabilia. After the last game of the year, as the Twins avoided losing game #100, the players were handing out stuff to the crowd. I got in a position to be in the front row and tried my best at putting myself in a good position.

I should note that only women and young children seemed to be getting the goods, though I could understand why. Luckily I had talked to Luke Hughes the game before as he had tried to help me out on my quest for getting all of the Twins players to sign a canvas of Target Field. He noticed me again during warm-ups for game 162 and chatted quickly and I thought that was that.

Fast forward back to the end of 162; Luke Hughes steps out of the dugout, a section or two to my left, looking like he was ready to give away something sweet. I then called out "Luuuuuuke", hoping he would remember me. HE DID!! He went back in the dugout, brought out two bats and gave me one and then a second which I then looked at the kid next to me and Luke nodded and I gave him the 2nd bat.

It was bliss, I nearly got one when I was 12 years old, but I had the shorter of the arms between my best friend and I, so this was like redeeming myself AND helping out a little guy in the process.

The bat was a Drew Butera Rawlings Big Stick model (see the pictures attached), but he confirmed when i went to Spring Training this year that it was used by him.

So, that bug hit hard and I know have everything you see in the pictures and then some.

Bats:
Drew Butera - Rawlings Big Stick - Used by Luke Hughes
Michael Cuddyer - LVS C360 - MLB Hologram
Michael Cuddyer - Mash Bat
Ben Revere - LVS M9 M110 - Signed from Ben's 2010 Spring Training (#87)
Trevor Plouffe - MaxBats 118 - Signed and personalized to me
Brendan Harris - XBat - MLB Hologram - Used by Rene Tosoni and broken 1 day after Liriano's no-no

Jerseys:
Matthew LeCroy - 2005 Away - Won at Fan Appreciation Weekend 2005 (#24)
Glen Perkins - 2010 Home Cream - MLB Hologram (#15)
Trevor Plouffe - 2010 BP - From Twins Pro-Shop, No Certification, Possible Spring Training Jersey (#1)

Hats:
Anthony Swarzak - 2009 9/11 style
Trevor Plouffe - 2010 BP
Glen Perkins - Not Pictured (details at home)

Miscellaneous:
Michael Cuddyer Batting Gloves - 2011 - Handed to me in the Champions Club (wish I could score those tickets again)
4 Lineup Cards - 2 from 2011 (Plouffe's first Triple being one), 1 from 1992 (Thome and Puckett in the line ups), 1 from 1983
2011 Home Opener 3rd base, 4-6 innings - MLB Hologram
Matt Capps - 2010 Locker Name Plate - MLB Hologram

Sorry for the long first post, but I have been waiting months to finally share this with people that actually cared. If you have any Twins stuff and looking to sell (especially Plouffe, Perkins, and current guys) let me know.

Also, if someone has MLB TV and could send any screen grabs of any close ups of Tosoni's bat he used on Liriano's no-hitter, I'd LOVE to find out if I have a piece of a no-no in my possession.

Thanks guys!! Look forward to discussing more and interacting on the boards.

GO TWINS!!

Rob L
04-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Grrrr. I'm a bit down on the Twins today (I'm an Angels honk). Anyways, welcome and nice start to your collection. It looks great so far!!

tony433433
04-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Grrrr. I'm a bit down on the Twins today (I'm an Angels honk). Anyways, welcome and nice start to your collection. It looks great so far!!
Don't be down Rob, you have much more to look forward to than us Twins fans. Don't get me wrong, I think we are better than what people are saying about us, but the Angels are popular World Series picks.

Thanks for the kind words though, and you are welcome for Torii Hunter, too ;)

sox83cubs84
04-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Tony:

Welcome to our universe...we've got some Twins collectors in our ranks. I don't collect the Twins per se, but I do have a few caps given to me by Twins players/coaches (Terry Mulholland, Jerry White).

Dave Miedema

Klattsy
04-12-2012, 07:55 PM
G'day mate and welcome. Glad Luke helped you out there, i'm a big fan of his being a Aussie Player collector. All i've got of Luke's is one bat, but hope to add a jersey soon.

Best of luck!

Mark.

xpress34
04-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Tony -

Welcome to the forum and nice start to your collection!

Smitty from Denver here - grew up in Dallas - so as far as teams, I'm a Rangers and Rockies fan. I collect many players.

I had the honor yesterday (and I'll be posting shortly about it) to install Internet and Phone services for Mr Michael Cuddyer!!!

Cuddy was awesome!!! I'm on the top of the list with the Rockies for his GU stuff - in fact I landed his Opening Day Locker Plate and I am picking up a GU Spring Training Cap this weekend!

If you ever want to move that Cuddyer MASH Bat, let me know!!!

All the best -

Smitty

harleighb
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Tony - You will find GUU a great resource. You'll also find a lot of Twins collectors visit these boards. Check back early and often because you never know what is going to be offered for sale or who is going to post pics of an amazing find.

Harleigh

tony433433
04-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Smitty, I just saw your Rockie post, that is awesome stuff you picked up. I miss Cuddy in a Twins uni, but he's such a good guy that I can only wish him nothing but the best. I'll let you know if I decide to move the Cuddy Mash. I talked to the owner of Mash shortly before the site was shut down and he wa saying that it was more than likely delivered in Spring Training, sometime in his first couple seasons.

If anyone has any leads on a Twins fielding glove, please let me know.

I also forgot a couple of my recent items: A Spring Training game used helmet (signed by Mauer), though it is more than likely someone else's, since his 7 isn't on the back. The date code on the inside shows 6/06 and it is a right-eared helmet. Lastly is a Trevor Plouffe 05 Beloit Snappers jersey (thanks FanHQ).

Any other Plouffe stuff out there?

tony433433
04-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Tony - You will find GUU a great resource. You'll also find a lot of Twins collectors visit these boards. Check back early and often because you never know what is going to be offered for sale or who is going to post pics of an amazing find.

Harleigh
Harleigh, I've noticed that you have posted a lot about the Twins in the past. I will for sure be checking in often (I admit that it's been about 4-5 times a day when work is slow).

harleighb
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Tony - Shoot me an e-mail at harleighb@hotmail.com.

brianborsch
04-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Nice seeing you on the board finally Tony! Awesome collection! You will love it here!

tony433433
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Dang it! My boy Luke Hughes just got put on waivers and reassigned to AAA (though I am guessing he'll be claimed). He was the one to get me into this GU craziness and I still need him to sign the bat he gave me (don't want it to look like just a Drew Butera bat). I'm really getting sad and angry about some of these moves or sometimes lack there of by the Twins. At least Morneau is going deep. :/

Klattsy
04-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Hi Tony, i'm feeling you there. I'm sure he will be picked up as slugging IF UTL's are pretty vaulable. Might have to spend a bit of time in AAA though. Hopefully his Twins gear will come down in price!

Mark.

Tay1038
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Tony, I may have some things you might be interested in. Please shoot me an email. Tay1038@aol.com

Thanks,
Taylor

tony433433
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Tony, i'm feeling you there. I'm sure he will be picked up as slugging IF UTL's are pretty vaulable. Might have to spend a bit of time in AAA though. Hopefully his Twins gear will come down in price!

Mark.

I agree, though it'll be sad to see him in a different uni (call me a selfish Twins fan). It gets frustrating when, as a franchise, we haven't developed good young talent that make it to the pros at a young age. They might fail for a year, but their potential leads me to believe that it's growing pains and they will mature (Hughes, Plouffe, Revere, etc.). Alexi Casilla (though nice as a person and speedy on the base-paths) is just another Luis Rivas.

Sorry for the rant. Just really scratching my head why the Twins aren't developing their youth during this rebuilding phase; or at least trade some of the OF depth for decent pitching.

Any one have any Hughes items to post pix of here. Might be a nice toast to the new phase of this powerful utility man from Australia...

Klattsy
04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
The only item I have so far is a bat from the team shop:
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/Klattsy/Aussie%20Game%20Used/LukeHughes2011Bat.jpg

tony433433
04-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Mark (Klattsy),
Poor Luke, just getting dumped and passed around. He is such a good guy and someone that could contribute if he were given a real shot at playing semi-regularly. The A's looked like they were trying to field an all Aussie team and now they'll be lucky to have one by the end of the season.

Hopefully Luke rebounds, and selfishly speaking, it's while in a Twins uni.

Klattsy
04-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Tony, yeah it sucks for him. He is too good for AAA, but he won't get any better at the MLB level until someone gives him a decent chance. Look how well he goes during spring training games. I really thought the A's, with their limited budget and "low end" roster might be the team. I'm seriously worried Luke will end up following other Aussies like Justin Huber and Chris Oxspring and end up in the Independent League. Not sure if any country would interest him (i.e. Japan/Tawain ect)

AM
05-01-2012, 06:34 AM
tony433433,

I have an item you may be interested in.

Please PM or email me (am_bls@yahoo.com)

thanks

AM
05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
email sent

BurlesonBlue
06-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Hey Tony,

Please shoot me an email, I have something I think you may be interested in!

punch
06-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey what's up! Fellow casual twins collector here! I don't have a ton of GU items.. got about 7 bats, a Kubel helmet, a Morneau M cap. I like decorating my basement with the stuff.

A great contact to know is Shaun over at Fan HQ at Ridgedale mall (http://fanhqstore.com). He always has interesting game used items on hand and he's Morneau collector himself. They also gets lots of Twins for in-store autograph signings.

I got an extra Valencia bat if you're interested BTW.

Klattsy
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Tony - Luke got sent down to AA. He made some strange posts on Twitter as well. Not sure what is going on with Luke and the A's organisation.

tony433433
06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Tony - Luke got sent down to AA. He made some strange posts on Twitter as well. Not sure what is going on with Luke and the A's organisation.
I've been following that as well. I am a bit confused and really hope that he gets a break sometime soon. 2012 started off so well, he gets on the opening day roster and was hitting bombs in Spring Training. Then the release happens (which I think was a be premature, given which fielders we picked up on waivers), then the mess with the A's... He's due to catch a nice break. (right?!)