PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Richardson LVS

cjclong
04-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Did Louisville Slugger make bats for Bobby Richardson when he was a New York Yankees second baseman in 1960 & 1961 that would have had his name on the barrel? If so, what was the model number and would he have used this same model in the late 1950's around 57, 58, etc? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

MSpecht
04-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Bobby Richardson bats are some of the most interesting from the powerhouse yankees of the late- 1950s and early- 1960s. Not only did he have an endorsement contract with H & B at the time ( signed in 1954) which produced his name in script on the barrel, but he also requested, at various times throughout his career, that other player's names be placed on the barrel of his bats in lieu of his own. Accordingly, in addition to Richardson's own name appearing on the barrel of his bats, you will also find bats with the names og Nellie Fox, Don Mueller, Bob Cerv, Wally Moses, Johnny Temple, and others on bats ordered and presumably used by Richardson, with Richardson's characteristic models and dimensions.

To your original question, the popular Richardson models ordered in 1957 - 1959 include N20. C12, H117, M118, and M110. In 1960 - 1961 you would find M110. O1S, K55, N117, and U1. Characteristically, the earlier bats would be found in lenghts of 34" and 34.5", with the later bats between 34.5" to 36". I remember a pretty well researched article from quite aways back, maybe from Montrbriand, Taube, or Grob, that went into this subject in some depth. Will update if I find it.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

cjclong
04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Thank you so much for the information. Very interesting. If you do find the article I'd like to see it. Thanks again

cjclong
05-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Ever since this was posted its been bugging me. Why would he have other players names put on bats he ordered? I would understand his ordering another player's bat if it were the only way he could get that model. But as I understood it he would order his own model bats but request another player's name be put on it. Is that right?