PDA

View Full Version : Video will make you sick

yanks12025
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I know we've talked about these card companies before. Someone over on net54 posted this video and I don't think anyone posted it here before. Beware it's sad seeing these items get destroyed.

Also I noticed acouple things, shouldn't the yankee pants have the names stitched and not written in marker. And another item, the Mantle jersey in the bag looks to have a post career Wilson tag?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzDa5jgVV-8

Dolphinsuperbowl55
04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
This makes the Greg Williams bounty audio look like cupcakes :(

Shocked after seeing this, and hearing Williams as well. Such a shame.

Skizzick
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Is it me, or did Matt sound stumped when the guy asked about the M. Brown on the Mantle pants? The guy seems like he has no knowledge of the pieces of history he is destroying, and that's what makes it that much more unbearable.

sylbry
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Who is M. Brown? I don't see anyone by that name on the Yankees roster in the late 60's. Coach perhaps?

frikativ54
04-06-2012, 04:09 PM
That Woodrow Wilson letter's being cut up kills me the most. :(

sox83cubs84
04-06-2012, 07:47 PM
That Woodrow Wilson letter's being cut up kills me the most. :(

Agreed. Politically, I have no use for Wilson whatsoever, but the fact of a presidential letter from ANY president, even the current one, being cut up to accommodate inclusion in a gumcard is nauseating. Some memorabilia should just remain unaltered.

Dave Miedema

shafrancollectibles.com
04-06-2012, 10:01 PM
The cutting of the Wilson letter is not as sickening as the fact that the card it becomes generally sells for WELL more than the full actual letter is worth. I don't deal with cards at all but come across them while doing my work on the internet and I see the prices far exceeding what the full letters would fetch on the open market.

Presidential autographs are 85% of my business and I cringe to think that people could buy a fully intact letter or document at well below the prices of these cut signatures appearing on cards.

Skizzick
04-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Also what is sickening is that Topps get a lot of their autographs in bulk auctions or from less credible sources like CCSA. They have no doubt put a number of fake cuts into some of their cards, but everybody just accepts it as real.

slats7
04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Disgusting. In the name of greed, what will they chop up next? The Declaration of Independence? The Mona Lisa?

packfan84
04-07-2012, 03:20 PM
That really sucks. Such a waste, I always wondered how they did those.