PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Nightmare

EurekaDave
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
A frightening postal service story...

I had a Buster Posey game-issued glove which I wished to have signed. So I sent it to a Burlingame, Ca. sports dealer (reputable) for a private Posey signing. They mailed it back, delivery confirmation and insured, but it never arrived. The tracking no. indicates that it was entered intothe system and delivered back to Burlingame three days later.

In short, I am out a glove, autograph, shipping fees and a lot of sleep. Package was insured so I should get my money but the postal situation has become really wacky. I lost another package sent to me six months ago from Oakland--and I live in the same state.

Also, I sent a package to Hawaii that wound up in Alaska. Yikes.
Dave Silverbrand

EurekaDave
04-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Worse than imagined! My Buster Posey glove has disappeared, thanks to the US Postal Service. Lefty's Sportscards of Burlingame, Ca. sent me the glove, but it never got here.. Now they have recovered a quarter of the box and no glove. No glove!!! Postal inspectors are on it...but no glove. So what if they catch the guy?

Dave Silverbrand
das1721@att.net

BostonSportsFan
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Dave, sorry to hear this, I hope this somehow works out.

I can tell you as someone who often deals in very high end game used bats and game worn jersey's many well into the 5 figures, I get extemely extremely nervous shipping these anyplace. I have on certain occasions when my schedule will allow for it actually driven to either private shows or to the offices of John Taube or MEARS as two examples to have pieces authenticated rather than ship them.

The thought of literally having this stuff lost or more likely stolen is sickening to say the least. I can tell you this, the thought has gone through my mind on more than a few occassions that if you are someone who is looking to steal higher end items a criminal could potentially target companies such as John Taube at PSA, MEARS, all the major auction houses etc. I am guessing that most if not all of these companies have pretty secure protocol in place for deliveries and pickups however given some of the horror stories we have all heard, what happens when a 41 Williams game used bat disappears? Whether it is insured or not, it is literally irreplacable.

Joe

frikativ54
04-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Worse than imagined! My Buster Posey glove has disappeared, thanks to the US Postal Service. Lefty's Sportscards of Burlingame, Ca. sent me the glove, but it never got here.. Now they have recovered a quarter of the box and no glove. No glove!!! Postal inspectors are on it...but no glove. So what if they catch the guy?

Dave Silverbrand
das1721@att.net

As a person who sends a lot of stuff (not game used) via USPS, I know that having a quarter of the box means that it broke during shipping. :(

Sorry, but I doubt that there will be a happy ending to this story.

OaklandAsFan
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
of all the shipping that I have done with GU items the only two that have never made it home were two different shipments both USPS from Oakland area to my home in AZ. Someone up in the Bay Area has sticky fingers IMO.

commando
04-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Dave is one of the "good guys" in the game-used hobby. I hate hearing this kind of story from anyone, but especially from a collector like Dave. I'm sure this will somehow be paid forward, and maybe Dave will land a grail at a great price soon! :cool:

EurekaDave
04-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks, you guys, for the moral support. This incident in particular really devastated me. Not sure why. Maybe it's because collecting helps us to rediscover our innocense. Why else would we pay cash for a sweaty jersey we would never launder?

Then, in an unguarded moment, someone takes away my innocense.

Still, my hobby takes me to a wonderful place, and I love sharing that with you guys. Thanks.
Dave Silverbrand

Skizzick
04-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Then, in an unguarded moment, someone takes away my innocense.

Woah, maybe my head just goes to dark places, but I think that phrasing is a little dramatic. I understand that losing an item sucks. I have had some of my precious item both lost in the mail and destroyed in a fire. It sucks, really really sucks. But it'll all work out in the end, man. Your innocence is not lost.

EurekaDave
04-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Skizzick, No offense intended, man, but you cannot know how I felt about that loss--overly "dramatic" or otherwise.

Dave Silverbrand

EurekaDave
04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
A huge shout-out to Jim, owner of Lefty's Sportscards in Burlingame. He is the one who had my Buster Posey glove signed before it disappeared in the US Mail. He gave me a full refund and vowed to make the whole thing right.

It's good to know of honest people in this business and my thanks to Jim. In the meantime, if you know of a Buster Posey glove out there, let me know.

Dave Silverbrand
das1721@att.net

jppopma
04-07-2012, 09:59 AM
At least things are starting to turn up right. Keep up with the postal police or inspector. While one would expect it to be easy to match up found property with lost property, they do not see to have a good system for that.

Another option would be to ask what salvage company they use, and contact them to keep an eye out for the glove. Unclaimed mail with no return address and other found property is often set aside and then turned over to a salvage company to clear it out. The salvage companies will then either auction or sell the things that they clean up. Not sure if they all use this procedure or not, but it's worth a try.

Good luck and hope to hear a happy ending.

sylbry
04-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I had a similar experience that may shed some light on what happened (or not).

I sent a glove to a player to be signed. First I asked for permission and he said it was fine to do. I sent the glove with a return envelope already stamped.

A month went by with no glove. I sent the player a letter asking if he had mailed it and he promptly responded by saying he had.

Another week went by and the glove finally showed up. The original return envelope (mylar bag type envelope) had been destroyed. There were three different post marks dating 30 days apart. The envelope had been taped back together (sort of). Inside it was the glove and a note from the postal inspector saying anything above a certain weight (can't remember what it is) is liable to be inspected when dropped into a mail box rather than being dropped off at the post office.

SSB15
04-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I hate to hear about your issue. It is a collector's worst nightmare. The Post Office is the worst...I have never trust the Post Office to ship boxes. The Post Office cannot even deliver the mail on time. If the Post Office could properly handle boxes, then UPS and Fedex would be out of business. I always send my items via Federal Express Ground or Second Day Air. It seems like the Fedex boxes are stronger.