PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Bidding Is Becoming Non Existent

Danny899
04-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Doesn't it seem to others here than more and more Ebay auctions are only being run with, Buy it Now or with high starting bids? Very few auctions are run with low starting bids anymore which offers competition or the potential for a high dollar sale. As a result, most of these seller's items whith the Buy it now or the $500 starting bid don't even get touched or even looked at. I still list the majority of my items as a seller with a $1 starting bid and the results are usually quite gratifying.

slab0meat
04-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Potential for a high dollar sale, as all as a very low dollar sale..

zookerman182
04-01-2012, 09:53 PM
the game used hobby is driven by the dollar now more than ever.

but when that item does show up without a high BIN price, the bidding wars seem to really jack up the price.

Mattapan03
04-01-2012, 10:47 PM
People just don't want to risk taking a huge loss.

David
04-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I think there are fewer bidders on eBay. It often makes more sense to list it for sale on eBay than as an auction, because there often won't be the bids to justify the auction.

With BIN items, people regularly make reasonable offers and I regularly accept them. That 'bidding' system is fine by me.

David
04-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Also, in recent times bidders used snipe bids etc to try and sneak away at the last tenth of a second with the lowest price humanly possible. Of course, BIN sellers don't that. I think snipers dug their own grave in that respect.

metsmetsmets
04-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Also, in recent times bidders used snipe bids etc to try and sneak away at the last tenth of a second with the lowest price humanly possible. Of course, BIN sellers don't that. I think snipers dug their own grave in that respect.

Huh?

project 4
04-02-2012, 12:16 AM

+1.

cohibasmoker
04-02-2012, 08:11 AM

That's very true. Also, with a Buy It Now option, the item has to be paid for right away - to some degree, it reduces the amount of non-paying members.

Jim

1929tudor
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I used to like buying on Ebay because the prices were half of what you could find at a show but now the Ebay guys are asking about the same. I have seen some guys with the same stuff listed for 2 years with the same price. Get real if it doesn't sell in 6 months at the most start dropping the price. Whats the point of the same price for years. Take a hint your stuff isn't as valuable as you think.

gadsden86
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
I would think after they have it up their 2 or 3 times or more w/o a bid then they should lower the asking price. JMO but would seem that people dont want it for a 200+ start try 100 or 150.

Danny899
04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
the game used hobby is driven by the dollar now more than ever.

but when that item does show up without a high BIN price, the bidding wars seem to really jack up the price.

Exactly. I don't even bother looking at the ones where there is only buy it now or high starting bids. (Example: I don't think anyone is going to pay $400 for only 1 cleat of Rickey Henderson! Where's the other one?) Most sellers just don't realize this when their item(s) are not even getting looks. The pieces I've listed have always resulted in bidding wars, some not as high as others, but always with a favorable result.

jdhbraves
04-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I believe that if the majority of game used equipment on ebay were sold as a true auction, most sellers would be sadly disappointed with the results. The true value of a item isnt what it sells for when it is sold on mlb auctions. Its what happens when the item makes it to collector hands and joe public tries to sell it. It may take 2k to buy a star braves jersey from mlb. Put that same jersey on ebay and you would be lucky to get a grand. Most of this modern stuff depreciates in value. Rare is rare and unique brings a premium but wait until the player retires and leaves the spotlight and you can buy for much less than when the player was active. Back in 1991 dealers wanted 2500 for "jwm" jerseys of star players. A dealer in atlanta wanted 20k for a justice home 1991 world series jersey.Gant,justice,deion. 2500 bucks? Please!! I would bet you wouldnt get near that now despite the fact that a braves jwm is a scarce jersey to find anymore.The economics of collecting really needs its own discussion. What is a fair value for a piece of equipment? Whatever it is you likely wont discover the truth on ebay.

sox83cubs84
04-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I believe that if the majority of game used equipment on ebay were sold as a true auction, most sellers would be sadly disappointed with the results. The true value of a item isnt what it sells for when it is sold on mlb auctions. Its what happens when the item makes it to collector hands and joe public tries to sell it. It may take 2k to buy a star braves jersey from mlb. Put that same jersey on ebay and you would be lucky to get a grand. Most of this modern stuff depreciates in value. Rare is rare and unique brings a premium but wait until the player retires and leaves the spotlight and you can buy for much less than when the player was active. Back in 1991 dealers wanted 2500 for "jwm" jerseys of star players. A dealer in atlanta wanted 20k for a justice home 1991 world series jersey.Gant,justice,deion. 2500 bucks? Please!! I would bet you wouldnt get near that now despite the fact that a braves jwm is a scarce jersey to find anymore.The economics of collecting really needs its own discussion. What is a fair value for a piece of equipment? Whatever it is you likely wont discover the truth on ebay.

You can go back to the late 1980s and find that thew then-new Tomahawk knit style was going for $300 or more on COACHES, and at least $400 for even the most unknown players. Try getting that now! And, the ridiculous prices weren't a byproduct of MLB Auctions...it was just the mindset that permeated the thoughts of so many collectors then as now: They've gotta be the first on their block, or at their local card show, to own one of these.

Dave Miedema

commando
04-03-2012, 11:38 PM
You can go back to the late 1980s and find that thew then-new Tomahawk knit style was going for $300 or more on COACHES, and at least $400 for even the most unknown players. Try getting that now! And, the ridiculous prices weren't a byproduct of MLB Auctions...it was just the mindset that permeated the thoughts of so many collectors then as now: They've gotta be the first on their block, or at their local card show, to own one of these.

Dave Miedema

It REALLY boggles my mind to look at old hobby ads from the late 70s and early 80s, when flannels were selling for less than knits. It was the same mindset you're talking about in regards to those tomahawks.

hiramman
04-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Get real if it doesn't sell in 6 months at the most start dropping the price. Whats the point of the same price for years.
You'd be suprised, there's a sucker born every minute. Ebay is the perfect example of that. This is a by-product of Ebay Stores. You can list auction style for a week or Buy it Now for 30 days at the same price.

yanks12025
04-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm tired of selling on ebay. I tired selling the three helmets that I posted on this forum and started each at $9.99 and with low buy it nows. After 9 days, only the Yankees had bids and was only up to $10. I know someone put their name/numbers on it, but they are still worth more than $9 when similar ones have sold for 430-50.

jdhbraves
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM

Dave Miedema

Certainly the "gotta have it" mindset drives short term prices but not over the long haul. I agree totally. I was simply saying that once an item is sold from mlb, and is resold down the road that the new selling price is much less than the original price on mlb. Hypothetically if i bought a cano jersey from steiner for 4k and i listed it on ebay, i would be lucky to get 2k. My point is that a collector often has to pay mega bucks to get the piece of equipment out of the hands of the supplier but when he goes to sell its a different story. Add in the other various dramas associated with collecting and it because near impossible to recoup your initial investment.

cohibasmoker
04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Back in the day, card shows were the only game in town and teams did not wholesale game worn items like they do today. So, if a dealer had a jersey or helmet that you wanted, one had better not walk away or chances are, when you returned, the item would be gone. And, since there were so few items on the market, dealers didn't have to discount an item because they knew, they were the only game in town.

Today, with eBay, everyday is a card show with thousands of items being offered. Just yesterday, I had my eye on an item and while I was thinking about pulling the trigger, some rat bas _ _ _ _ (ONLY KIDDING!!!) grabbed it. This was the 2nd time in as many weeks this has happened to me. But hey, tomorrow is another day and whoever bought the item, I say good for them.

As for Seller's selling the same items for Months, when eBay charges a $1.00 to list an item, one can list it as many times as they want.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

sox83cubs84
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
It REALLY boggles my mind to look at old hobby ads from the late 70s and early 80s, when flannels were selling for less than knits. It was the same mindset you're talking about in regards to those tomahawks.

The whole collecting approach was very different back then. Colectors routinely wore their jerseys and even purchased items based on wearability via sizing. Jerseys were used to impress the ladies, look cool at the local sports bar, and even to play in during slow-pitch softball games. Flannels were disdained because they didn't hold up to wear and laundering as well, they weren't comfortable to wear and the historical aspect had yet to be appreciated by more than a scant few hobbyists. I recall in the late 1970s a tabeholder at a out-of-town convention threatening to take his two flannel jerseys and THROW THEM IN THE GARBAGE:eek: :eek: :eek: if he didn't sell them by show's end! He was asking only $50 each...fairly normal pricing in that era while knits went for at least double or triple as much for comparable players.

Dave Miedema