PDA

View Full Version : What a fine 1985 Reggie Jackson Jersey

RJB44
03-24-2012, 02:39 PM
So many things wrong here...Retail.

Saw this jersey sold last month in Legendary Action for $2,151. Couldn't believe the description, and for that matter, the jersey, made it through the auction. If the MLB tag wasn't enough.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=127936&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=150&seo=Reggie-Jackson-1985-California-Angels-Signed-Game-Used-Home-Jersey

flaco1801
03-24-2012, 04:07 PM
What a joke....i would never buy from these people even if they had something i wanted....thieves...

commando
03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Reggie Jackson, size 40 jersey? Maybe in junior high...

sox83cubs84
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Amng the flaws:

Rawlings retail tag.
Rawlings didn't begin making Angels gamers until 1987.
Since they weren't an official supplier in 1985, a Rawlings-made gamer would not have the company sleeve logo.
1985 Angels jersey bore the team 25th Anniversary patch.

This jersey is so bad, even Lampson would reject it!

Dave Miedema

RJB44
03-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Not only that...1985 jerseys would have the state patch and not the circular.

emann
03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Wow, that this one went the distance in auction is shocking.

solarlottry
03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
It is always interesting to hear everyones opinion on different auction houses.

My experience with Legendary has been nothing but good. I have purchased a number of 49er GU jerseys from their past auctions and have been quite pleased with what I won.

What was really interesting was the description of one of the shirts. I called Legendary and asked for a description over the phone. The salesman got the shirt and told me that it showed light use with no repairs. I still wanted the shirt and won it at a fair price. When I received the shirt it had at least 10 repairs and showed excellent use! I find it funny that there was such a discrepancy in the description. If the actual description was listed in the catalog, I am sure it would have sold for much more.

One issue I do have with ALL auction house is that the onus of proving authenticity seems to fall on the bidder rather than the auction house. One would think that it should be the other way around. Grey Flannel's show seems to give the impression that that is the case but we still see many questionable items in every auction.

Legendary had listed a Garrison Hearst UGA gamer in a previous auction which I did some research on. I contacted and emailed them images of the actual shirt worn in the game that the listed jersey was supposedly worn. It was not a match and the shirt was removed from the auction immediately.

Doug Allen could not have been nicer about the discrepancy and was helpful on a number of other issues as well.

In general I would like to see more research done by auction houses but the collector/buyer should always do his homework. Hopefully with the GF show the extent of research will improve and we will see a dwindling number of fakes and questionable items.

Always buying 49er GU items and ALL 1994 GU items.
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com