PDA

View Full Version : Wow

cohibasmoker
03-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Haven't seen a deal like this on eBay in some time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=190657375550&nma=true&rt=nc&si=OUJsNJUvXDVgLyilmfw5EUH7hcM%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Jim

yanks12025
03-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Not a football collector, but lampson LOA enough to keep me away, so I'm sure there's a problem somewhere with the item.

yosef777
03-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I think that is the real deal as don't think there is a big market for faking Irv Cross gamers (although that was a great price). I know Cross wore a MacGregor, bubble ear model early in his career with the Eagles. Later, he switched to a Mac MH 100 with the exterior padding while still with the Eagles and maybe later with the Rams too. (Robert would probably know.) I believe I know the seller so I will try to find out what happened to the auction.

bruno89
03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Im the buyer and that price is not the final price ,the seller wanted to end the auction once we reached a deal ,but also wanted me to be the highest bidder before he would close it.
He is a nice collector and its the real deal.i also contacted Robert in case he has a photomatch .
I wish it was that kind of deal here haha.:D

earlywynnfan
03-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Not a football collector, but lampson LOA enough to keep me away, so I'm sure there's a problem somewhere with the item.

Lou is not a rubber-stamper like Chris Morales or Justin Priddy. He actually knows an awful lot.

His LOA's, IMHO, should be treated almost as an afterthought, meaning they don't really mean anything.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

yosef777
03-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Bruno89,
Congrats on your purchase. I have a question for you when you get the helmet. If you could take a look on the interior (between the geodetic suspension or underneath the front and back pads) and see if you see any traces/outlines of Eagle wings. A lot of Macs were clearshells and if so the traces/outlines would still be visible as they were applied underneath the clear shell.
Thanks and enjoy you have a great piece!

bruno89
03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
I will do that and let you know even thou i dont think in this case its a clear shell helmet ,but love the exterior padding attached to it,also thank you for the words Yosef777.
Also if anybody out there has any eagles relics ,dont hide them away:D

David
03-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Someone once compared a LL LOA to a MEARS A5 on a modern jersey. The jerseys details usually match up to a game issued, but there's no proof of game use. In that sense, a LL LOA does have some value.

both-teams-played-hard
03-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Lou is not a rubber-stamper like Chris Morales or Justin Priddy. He actually knows an awful lot.

His LOA's, IMHO, should be treated almost as an afterthought, meaning they don't really mean anything.

Very true.
Jim, why didn't you bid aggressively on this Philly relic?

cohibasmoker
03-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Very true.
Jim, why didn't you bid aggressively on this Philly relic?

It was over too quickly. If the auction would have ran its full couse, I would have. However, it didn't happen that way and since I know the Buyer, he paid a good price for it and the way I see it, good for both of them.

As I've stated in other posts, I don't mind if a Seller ends a auction early to do a private deal. With eBay, there is always a "tomorrow" and sooner or later, something always comes along.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

both-teams-played-hard
03-25-2012, 11:07 AM
It was over too quickly. If the auction would have ran its full couse, I would have. However, it didn't happen that way and since I know the Buyer, he paid a good price for it and the way I see it, good for both of them.

As I've stated in other posts, I don't mind if a Seller ends a auction early to do a private deal. With eBay, there is always a "tomorrow" and sooner or later, something always comes along.

Jim

I didn't read this thread carefully, as Bruno won and paid more than a $100. This has to be a 3K helmet at a well advertised auction (maybe more). I'd like to hear Robert (Aenas') thoughts.
Yes. Tomorrow is just a day away. It's good to keep a positive outlook.:)

aeneas01
03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
that irv cross helmet is a beauty, even moreso given it was worn by such a class guy. the red lacing on the football and star configuration (nfl shield decals on the sides of the helmet) dates it to the 1966 pro bowl (i.e., 1965 season). in subsequent years the lacing was changed to navy and the star configuration was changed as well - in 1969 the number "50" replaced the stars marking the nfl's 50th anniversary. also worth noting is that the 1966 pro bowl marked the first year teams sported painted gold helmets for the event (1966-1969) - prior to this team helmets were painted red and navy.

a couple of interesting things about the helmet: first, it's a padded macgregor which is the same type of helmet irv cross's pro bowl teammate bob brown wore. in fact bob brown made the pro bowl the same year and his pro bowl helmet (also with red lacing, 1-year star configuration decals) has sold at auction in the past.

second, the interior of bob brown's pro bowl macregor is white, suggesting a shell molded of white plastic that was painted on the exterior (as opposed to a clearshell model painted on the interior). however irv cross' pro bowl mac is green suggesting that it may be a clearshell model or possibly a shell molded of green plastic. although macgregor did apply decals to the inside of their clearshell helmets during that era, i would think they would have painted the eagles wings (as opposed to decals) as they did with michigan helmets. if that's the case, the irv cross helmet is most likely molded green given macgregor would have most likely laid down the silver paint for the wings last, over the green paint - i.e., the interior of the cross helmet would be silver instead of green.

one other thing... in the 1965 photos i've seen of cross he is sporting a relatively uncommon bd-1 facemask (roughly the same as the mask now on the cross helmet except for the two small vertical bars). anyway, the current vintage mask on the cross helmet could be easily explained and therefore imo does not detract from the helmet's authenticity in any way.

a side-by-side look at the bob brown and irv cross helmets - as mentioned the interior color is different:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/album%201/ZZ01.jpg

a 1965 shot of cross sporting his padded mac and bd-1 mask:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/album%201/ZZ02.jpg

aeneas01
03-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
great post my friend.