PDA

View Full Version : EBAY What would you do

ahuff
03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Sorry for the long post, but I want to see what my fellow GUU collectors would do. I had listed an item on ebay and here is a link to it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120871897007?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/120871897007?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649)

I should let you know that I had previously used GUU to determine what year this jersey was from.
Anyway, in my listing I noted it was a 1968 Clinton Pilots jersey. I indicated there were no holes or tears and noted that any potential bidder should see the photos to see the overall condition. I wasn't hiding anything, as I included 3M resolution photobucket photos in the listing. I listed it in this fashion as I have found it to simply be a guessing game as to what questions potential bidders can come up with on such an item and high resolution photos answer most of them. On this listing I was asked what year it was from...Odd since it was the very first thing in the title of my listing. Also, I was asked how big it was from certain points on the jersey. I replied to both. The jersey sells to the bidder that asked what year it was from. They paid and I sent the jersey out. Yesterday while I’m out of town on a getaway with my wife I get a question on my phone’s ebay app asking "Do you have any idea what it was that was ironed on this jersey?" My exact response was "you know....i dont. i wish i did. no one was able to fill me in on that during my research." The reply I got was "Ok. You probably should have mentioned that it was there in the listing."
I should let you know that I was trying to carry this conversation on while using only my tiny phone keyboard while my wife is getting ready (Thus I can’t be long winded in any response.) I simply replied “I didnt because that is why i included the high resolution photos. also it was a gamer and not typically something that would be worn or that i had altered. sorry you didnt notice it.” I was just trying to let him know that I didn’t realize it was such a major issue as it was a team repair that was very visible in the photos and it was not something that I had done to make one jersey into something that it wasn’t. I don’t get any messages back until my wife and I are listening to music at a club…all of a sudden I see that I have lost value in my ebay rating, so I check and discover that with out response I am given a negative feedback and it reads “Disappointed with item and very disappointed with seller.” My ebay app never alerted me about it but a bit of further digging reveals that the bidder has now filed a complaint against me. It states:
“The buyer said the item doesn't match your description” and “Something was ironed across the chest (probably a team name of some sort) of the baseball jersey I bought. It has been removed, but the remanents of it remain. Then a new team name has been stitched on the front, but you can still see that something had, at one time, been ironed across the front of the jersey”
I sent the buyer a message that read “just saw u left negative feedback...why? you didnt say you wanted anything...just that you were bummed it had name change (which was done by thw team). i didnt realize you were still unhappy....just thought you were asking questions....besides it was the exact thing you bid on in the auction.” Buyer’s reply this morning is “Sorry, but you knew I was disappointed in it and you also knew that I was surprised that there was the remmanents of the ironed on lettering. Your attitude was "too bad buyer". So, I exercised an option open to me. If you had expressed regret and possibly offered to make the buyer happy, it would have been totally different.”
Well now I am weighing my options and I know my fellow board members have always been a wealth of information. I know if I try to fight this I am simply fighting “THE MAN” (Ebay that is) and probably a losing battle…it seems that ebay always sides with the buyers. All of my auctions are done with “no returns” but I have never refused to work with buyers - which has included a refund/return if necessary. I wasn’t refusing to do such a thing in this case either…the buyer simply didn’t let me know. But now emotions are high and I think I need advice from outside sources. SO…What would you guys recommend? I have all of the documentation showing that I have never refused to refund the buyer their money, and it also supports the fact that I think I was very nice in my responses. I just don’t get it as the buyer’s feedback shows that they are a great ebayer…I would never expect this type of thing from someone with thys much and good feedback. But once someone essentially calls me a liar I become much more defensive and become very willing to fight win or lose. Afterall, in life (and in our hobby and community) all we have is our reputation.

frikativ54
03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
When you said, "Sorry you didn't notice it," if I were the buyer, I would have thought that you were blaming the issue on me. Maybe he deserved the blame because the pictures were clear as to what he was getting, but perhaps a little more cordiality could have averted the negative.

otismalibu
03-18-2012, 04:24 PM
The pictures make it pretty obvious that there is a major aesthetic issue with the front of the jersey. Maybe if you were browsing auctions with a phone you could possibly miss it.

Still, I would have certainly made mention of it. It's a major flaw.

karamaxjoe
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately I think your both to blame in this situation.

You should have mentioned the issue with the team name change on the front just to CYA. You can't expect everyone to be reasonable and be able to look at a high resolution picture and make that determination. Unfortunately there is always going to be one guy who doesn't see things the way they should be.

As for the buyer, he should have asked the question about the front of the jersey before he bought the jersey. He also should have given you a warning that if you don't take the jersey back, he was going to give you negative feedback. Any buyer that gives negative feedback without a warning shouldn't be buying on ebay. Buyers and sellers should be able to come to an agreement before the negative feedback is given. If you told him you weren't taking the jersey back and he was SOL, then he has every right to give negative feedback.

Just chalk this up to experience and move on.

short84
03-18-2012, 05:11 PM
From dealing with buyers for over 10 years now as an eBay seller, I have found it in my best interest to give the most complete written description I can. You should not rely on photographs alone -- sometimes a buyer doesn't see the same things you do and not everyone takes the time to study them closely. My best advise is that when you list an item for sale, be sure to write the most complete written description possible. This will not only protect you in the long run but will make buyer feel more comfortable about their purchase. Just my opinion.

marino13
03-18-2012, 05:30 PM
It sounds like "buyer's remorse" to me.

Chances are, he knew what he is getting from the pictures. He might have thought that he can cleaned it up and so forth. But when he cant, he had no choice but resort to negative feedback!

Either way, chalked it up for learning experience!

ahuff
03-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you so much for your input.

After reading your posts and now looking in hindsite, I certainly agree with you guys and him...it would have been a better listing had it been mentioned. When I purchased it name change wasn't a big deal to me as I collect Clinton items. But I guess I should have used a broader perspective when looking at items.

Also, when I said "Sorry you didn't see it" I can truly say I honestly didn't mean anything bad by it. I really meant "I'm sorry you didn't see it".

I will certainly tell you one thing...I just noticed a seller on friday that is thorough in his description but the listing isn't what I've become accustomed. I'm use to ones that almost have a "story-like" verbage to them. This listing went something like this:

Manufacturer:
Year:
Game worn: Yes or No
Defects:
Measurements:
Material:
Alterations:

and it has some other items noted as well. From now on I am going this route, as it will take care of things like this where it may not have been a big deal to me when I purchased it but it might be to someone else.

Thanks again. I think I know what I'll do.

ahuff
03-18-2012, 05:43 PM
It sounds like "buyer's remorse" to me.

Chances are, he knew what he is getting from the pictures. He might have thought that he can cleaned it up and so forth. But when he cant, he had no choice but resort to negative feedback!

Either way, chalked it up for learning experience!

Thanks for the input. That thought had certainly crossed my mind as well.

ahuff
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Got an agreed upon resolution. Just a lack of communication on both parties parts.

David
03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
My opinion is similar to everyone else's. It should have been mentioned, however it's obvious in the image. Don't know how the buyer missed it unless he viewed the auction for 2 second before bidding.

jppopma
03-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Sometimes pictures do not load, other times buyers just glance and bid.

I can tell you that I have a Pilots jersey that has the same glue residue on it, but it looks like you have been able to work things out.