PDA

View Full Version : US Open 2010 autographed flag.. Is it authentic?

rangersfan1214
03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I am looking at this US Open flag with Mcilroy, etc. Do these signatures look authentic to yall? Thanks!

gameused
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm not an expert on individual golf signatures, but I would say it's legit.

Looks like the person got the autographs from that U.S. Open tournament. I have been to a few golf tournaments and what I've seen is that a lot of times golfers will carry their own sharpie pens, for autographs, some have blue, others black or red, etc. It just makes the process faster for the golfer instead of grabbing a pen from each person that's asking for their autograph.

If you look at the signatures individually most have different ink thickness due to pen pressure applied. Also each signature is unique in it's own way that I doubt anyone would take the time to forge, if it is a forgery they did a heck of a job. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Bobby

wpeters143
03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
It is 100% authentic.

I have been to many tournaments and have flags signed by almost every golfer on tour. These guys sign very freely on practice days and almost never turn down a request. Tiger and Phil are the exceptions.

David
03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
A quick test for multi-signed items, such as this or a team signed baseball, is to compare a lesser known/common player with a known genuine signature to see how it looks. For example, for a team signed baseball a forger is focusing his time and practice on the star players (Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron), not a one year common player. So if a common player or two looks legit, that's a good sign the overall thing is good. After all, a forger wasn't spending his free time trying to perfect that players $1 sig.

David
03-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I add that I've owned two multi golfer signed tournament flags like that, one PGA and one LPGA, and both were authenticated by Mike Gutierrez. Just to show that such authentic items exist.

rangersfan1214
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
David.. What is your opinion on this flag?

David
03-10-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm not an expert in autographs, just a regular collector who's been around the block.

rangersfan1214
03-15-2012, 09:55 PM
What are you guy's opinions on the Rory Mcilroy signature?