PDA

View Full Version : Late 70's / early 80's White Sox jersey question

Jeffredsfan
03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I just bought a 1980 blue White Sox jersey and it appears that there was name plate sewn over the front of the jersey (covering CHICAGO) and on the back over the original name of the player. Can any White Sox fan enlighten me? My guess it was sent down to the minors and altered to fit the needs of the minor league team, then, the minor league alterations were removed, thus restoring the jersey back to it's original form.

Another question; if that's what happened, can this jersey be deemed 100% original and unaltered?

karamaxjoe
03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
That was common practice for the low budget White Sox. The jersey was probably sent to Glens Falls or Knoxville and a plate was sewn on the front and over the NOB.

As for your second question, it's 100% original in my book, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Which player did you get?

ironmanfan
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
If the number hasn't been changed, I would consider it all original under the circumstances you note....What player are we talking about?

flaco1801
03-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Can the plates be removed to reveal the CHICAGO lettering underneath?

Jeffredsfan
03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Can the plates be removed to reveal the CHICAGO lettering underneath?

The plate has already been removed. I just thought it odd that there was a nameplate removed from the front of the jersey.

Jeffredsfan
03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
If the number hasn't been changed, I would consider it all original under the circumstances you note....What player are we talking about?

Hi Bill -

Orlando Cepeda, #14, coach with the Sox in '80.

Take care.

Jeff

Jeffredsfan
03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
That was common practice for the low budget White Sox. The jersey was probably sent to Glens Falls or Knoxville and a plate was sewn on the front and over the NOB.

As for your second question, it's 100% original in my book, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Which player did you get?

#14 whoever wore that for the minor league team, I have no idea. It was Orlando Cepeda's jersey with the White Sox.

Thanks for your insight!

karamaxjoe
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
#14 whoever wore that for the minor league team, I have no idea. It was Orlando Cepeda's jersey with the White Sox.

Thanks for your insight!

Wouldn't happen to be this one? I used to own it and sold it a few years ago.