PDA

View Full Version : My experience with my favorite player

masp3392
03-03-2012, 04:25 PM
560 wqam which is a local sports radio for the tri county south florida area (palm beach, broward, dade) was doing a 2 hour segment at JM Lexus. For the first hour they had Jared Odrick of the Dolphins there, and the second hour was Willis McGahee (favorite player). When they would go to commercial break the players would sign autographs.

To my advantage wanting to possibly talk a little bit to Willis rather then just getting a auto and leaving, there were only 20-30 people at most waiting in line. Prior to lining up I was throwing out a drink outside and out of nowhere a HUGE ford truck rolls up. Willis exits the car and immediately spots my hurricanes jersey on (game issued to willis) and flashes a huge smile while saying whats up to me.

Yesterday I got in from JO Sports a Orange Alternate game used willis mcgahee jersey worn 9/12/11 against the raiders which I brought in as well. When it was my turn to go up I asked him do you recognize this jersey? and he replied "of course man!" which a huge smile. While he signed my football, and my girlfriends hat I politely ask him if he was willing to take a better photo with me rather then leaning over a table after his segment was over which he replied no problem.

After the segment was over about 5 people stayed back to take more photos, a little more autographs. I was the last one to interact with him and he graciously took more photos with me and talked for a few. As I was leaving, i shook his hand and he stated "you got a very nice jersey man" which put a huge smile on my face. I debated on getting them autographed but hesitated and got nervous. Its not everyday you get to meet the player you've been following for 12 years let alone your favorite player and interact with him.

Willis was very humble, extremely down to earth, and very interactive. Its these kind of players that make you love collecting jerseys (especially if you have a favorite). Here's a couple of photos... Thanks for reading guys!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/masp3392/IMG_5501.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/masp3392/IMG_5505.jpg

UGA016
03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
MASP Congrats Dude!!!! I know that was one hell of a day for you. U look excited as well as did he. This is what its all about. Alot of people don't understand why we do what we do.Even though they wish they had what we have. This says it al!! Go Dawgs!!

masp3392
03-03-2012, 05:03 PM
MASP Congrats Dude!!!! I know that was one hell of a day for you. U look excited as well as did he. This is what its all about. Alot of people don't understand why we do what we do.Even though they wish they had what we have. This says it al!! Go Dawgs!!

couldn't have said it better bro, this is exactly why I love collecting jerseys. meeting mcgahee was the best experiences ive had ever with an athlete. it helps that he's my favorite player lol

MichaelofSF
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I am happy that you got to experience that. I love hearing these positive stories

CampWest
03-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I am happy that you got to experience that. I love hearing these positive stories

Yeah... Especially after the story about when you met your favorite player...

:p ;) :D

Great story MASP... And love that orange alternate jersey you picked up, even though Broncos are barely a step above the Raiders in my world.

I'm not sure, maybe its because I pheasant hunt, but for some reason I love orange jerseys.

Shipp_96
03-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Hey masp3392,

That is an awesome experience you had! Nothing is better than meeting your favorite player and finding out he's a class act. IMO it makes you like them even more, if that is even possible.

Willis used to sign all the time in Ellicott City, MD while with the Ratbirds. I personally never met him, but only heard good things from others. Nice to know he's a man that knows how to treat his fans ;).

Thank you for sharing the feel good story.

Gridiron Heroes
03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Great story Masp! I love it when you get to meet your sports idols and they turn out to be great guys.

Shawn
www.gopherjerseys.com (http://www.gopherjerseys.com)
www.gridironheroes.net (http://www.gridironheroes.net)
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

masp3392
03-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Hey masp3392,

That is an awesome experience you had! Nothing is better than meeting your favorite player and finding out he's a class act. IMO it makes you like them even more, if that is even possible.

Willis used to sign all the time in Ellicott City, MD while with the Ratbirds. I personally never met him, but only heard good things from others. Nice to know he's a man that knows how to treat his fans ;).

Thank you for sharing the feel good story.

the minute that experience ended i felt like spending even more $$$ on his jerseys lol

MLB~NUT
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Thats very cool, congrats, wish there were more athletes with that attitude towards their fans!!!!:p