PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Sabattical 2012

xpress34
03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Happy March Everyone!

Spring Training Games start in earnest this weekend as we begin the annual countdown to Opening Day!

As I do every year, I will be writing about my Spring Training excursion - although this year's will be late - March 28th to April 2nd.

With it being so late, many might be wondering why I'm starting this thread so early. I am beginning it early because this year I am having a rather unique 'pre Spring Training' trip to Las Vegas in 2 weeks.

Many might wonder what Sin City has to do with Spring Training. On the weekend of March 18th and 19th, the Texas Rangers and Chicago Cubs will be playing a two game set at Cashman Field in Las Vegas and I already have tickets for Mrs Smitty and myself, so I will be trying to knock out a few of my Rangers pieces early so I don't have to take them to Surprise.

If any other forum members are going to be around (I know I'll be seeing my buddy Rays54) that last week, let me know and let's meet up!

All the best -

Smitty

OaklandAsFan
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I'll be around, I try to not drive to the west side since I live in the FAR southeast side so you will most likely run into me either at a Dbacks or Athletics home game but I wouldn't mind meeting up and chatting for a bit.

xpress34
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I'll be around, I try to not drive to the west side since I live in the FAR southeast side so you will most likely run into me either at a Dbacks or Athletics home game but I wouldn't mind meeting up and chatting for a bit.

I'll be out at Salt River for Rockies, but I'm sure we can try to meet up somewhere for a beer. There's a Sports Memorabilia store I like on the East Side (actually a few over there) - Hooper's, Boxseats, Batter's Box - and I want to make time to check out the Cactus League Museum this year. I always have it on my itenerary, but somehow I also fail to make it over there. I actually drove to it last year but it was closed the day we went by!

I'll be in touch as my trip gets closer so we can make plans to meet up.

- Smitty

lcstate collector
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I will be both in Vegas for the Spring Training games on March 17th and 18th and in Arizona on March 30-April 1st at Peoria and Surprise. I would be happy to meet up with you guys. Drew

xpress34
03-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I will be both in Vegas for the Spring Training games on March 17th and 18th and in Arizona on March 30-April 1st at Peoria and Surprise. I would be happy to meet up with you guys. Drew

Drew -

send me an eMail and I'll give you info so we can hook up either in Vegas or AZ.

- Smitty

xpress34@comcast .net

xpress34
03-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Ms Smitty and myself are off to Las Vegas tomorrow for what has shaped up to be a very eventful and full weekend!

We both work tomorrow (today - Thursday Mar 15th) and fly out at 9:55pm MDT.

Arrive Las Vegas as 10:55 PDT.

Friday - Niece's Wedding
Saturday - St Patty's Day AND Rangers/Cubs @ Cashman Field
Sunday - Rangers/Cubs @ Cashman Field
Monday - Drive to Hoover Damn and fly home that night

I will be back in Denver for 8 days and then the Sabattical begins on Mar 27th!!!

xpress34
03-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Pre Spring Training Trip Update:

On the way out to Cashman Field in Las Vegas to chase Texas Rangers Autos and meet up with LCSTATE COLLECTOR!!!

Update to follow!!!

sox83cubs84
03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Ms Smitty and myself are off to Las Vegas tomorrow for what has shaped up to be a very eventful and full weekend!

We both work tomorrow (today - Thursday Mar 15th) and fly out at 9:55pm MDT.

Arrive Las Vegas as 10:55 PDT.

Friday - Niece's Wedding
Saturday - St Patty's Day AND Rangers/Cubs @ Cashman Field
Sunday - Rangers/Cubs @ Cashman Field
Monday - Drive to Hoover Damn and fly home that night

I will be back in Denver for 8 days and then the Sabattical begins on Mar 27th!!!

Hoover DAMN???:eek: :eek:

Dave Miedema

jppopma
03-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Dave Miedema

I think she works at one of the "ranches" and earns her nickname very well. HAHAHAHA.

xpress34
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Dave Miedema

It's become habit Dave... outside Berthoud, CO in the Big Thompson Canyon is a little store near the Big Thompson Dam called the Dam Store. When I 1st came to Colorado it was named the Damn Store and then changed to Dam Store (what with Political Correctness and all)...

That said, I started writing Dam as Damn after seeing the store the 1st time and now I can't help myself... :rolleyes:

- Smitty

xpress34
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I think she works at one of the "ranches" and earns her nickname very well. HAHAHAHA.

:D :eek:

xpress34
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Pre Spring Training Trip Update:

On the way out to Cashman Field in Las Vegas to chase Texas Rangers Autos and meet up with LCSTATE COLLECTOR!!!

Update to follow!!!

Now as we move on from the 'Hoover DAM' debacle...

Just got back to Denver late last night from the Las Vegas part of my Spring Training excursion...

Went to Cashman Field on Saturday and met Andrew (Drew) - lcstate collector - to watch the Rangers/Cubs and chase some autos... the only one I got on Saturday was Nelson Cruz on a piece of artwork. Hambone told us if we were going to the game he would sign inside. Unfortunately, I was not in the right position inside and missed out there too... The Rangers won 12-7.

Went back Sunday and got Matt Kata and Hambone made up for Saturday - signed my 2011 ASG Jersey and two artwork pieces! 'Eva Braun' behind home plate blocked my attempts to get Nolan's signature despite the best attempts of some of the ushers to get me down by him for a quick auto...

Drew (lcstate collector) is a great guy and it was awesome to meet him. he will be in Phoenix the same time as me, so I hope to hook up again to grab a beer and some graphs while we're there.

Pics from Cashman will be forthcoming....

- Smitty

P.S. - one week of work, then back on the road for the main portion of my annual sabbatical... driving the 1990 VW Cabrio to Phoenix (then Tucson to leave it with my brother) then flying back from Tucson.

I will be down there from sometime LATE on the 28th of March and heading to Tucson either Saturday night (March 31st) or Sunday morning (April 1st) and flying back to Denver Tuesday morning (April 3rd)... then Opening Day the following Monday (April 9th!!!).

lcstate collector
03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
It was great to meet you Smitty. Hope to see you in Arizona.

xpress34
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
It was great to meet you Smitty. Hope to see you in Arizona.

Drew -

Sounds good. I leave Denver sometime on the 27th of March (I have to work that morning) and should arrive in Phoenix sometime LATE on the 27th or EARLY on the 28th.

- Smitty

xpress34
03-27-2012, 03:08 AM
And today (March 27th) it begins in earnest...

The annual journey to the promised land that is known as:

SPRING TRAINING!!!

My trek to the Cactus League Fields of Arizona starts later this morning when I get on 285 South towards Sedalia then head West on 160 to Durango... down through 4 Corners, Tuba City, Flagstaff.... and then - I'm there. The place where dreams are renewed and I recharge for the year ahead...

More posts - and pictures - to come....

- Smitty

rays54
03-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Smitty
Have a safe trip.

xpress34
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Good Morning Cactus League!!!

Woke up in Phoenix today...

Left Denver @ 10:30am MDT yesterday and arrived in Phoenix @ 10:00pm PST. 12.5 Total Hours on the road...

Two Gas stops - Pagosa Springs, CO and Tuba City, AZ. Total cost of Gas to get here - $106.00. Yes I could have flown Southwest for that, but then I would still have to rent a car.

No major hiccups, great weather and I cleared three 'passes' on the way:

Kenosha (9,997 ft)
Poncha (9,010 ft)
Wolf Creek (10,856 ft)

I also saw a few 'sights' on the way:

Coney Island Hot Dog Stand (looks like a giant hot dog)
Chimney Rock
Ship Rock

Slept on the floor of my buddy Tommy's hotel room last night as my check in isn't until 3:00pm today.

1st stop Lamar's Donuts for breakfast then off to Salt River for Rockies graphing.

After Rox it will be over to Surprise for Rangers afternoon practice and graphing (night game).

More to follow!!!

xpress34
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Smitty
Have a safe trip.

My good man!!! I'm here!!!

I'll call you later today...

- Smitty

sox83cubs84
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Smitty:

Could you email me at sox83cubs84@hotmail.com ? I have a question for you.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
03-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Smitty:

Could you email me at sox83cubs84@hotmail.com ? I have a question for you.

Dave Miedema

Dave -

eMail sent!

- Smitty

xpress34
03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Day 1 (in Phoenix) Re-Cap...

Woke up at 6:45am, showered, dressed and put my stuff back in the car...

Out to Salt River for Rockies/White Sox - Jamie Moyer starting. Took lots of pictures, talked to a few players, only grabbed two graphs - Jordan Pacheco and Wilin Rosario.

Left to go to Surprise, but called hotel and my room was ready. Stopped by and unpacked the car - laid back on the bed, and...

2 hours later I wake up when my buddy texted asking if I was coming to Surprise....

I haven't left the hotel room since... I'll upload pics later... got some needed sleep and heading out to eat and hit up the bookstores for more books for my 'library' back home...

ALMOST FORGOT - one big surprise today - Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa at Salt River visiting with Jim Tracy! They didn't sign, just waved at everyone...

Pics to follow soon...

- Smitty

xpress34
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
My laptop started acting up on me in AZ. Just got home to Denver a few hours ago...

I will update the trip info and photos ASAP!!!

Thanks for your patience!

- Smitty

xpress34
04-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Day 2 (Fri Mar 30) -

Got up and headed out to Maryvale to see how we could do with Brewers during practice (they has a road game).

Got Robin Yount on a nice Hobby Proof Piece from 1991 Bowman and on an OMLB.

Also picked up Jon Heyman (MLB Network) on a ball outside the gate.

Saw my friend and a GOOD MAN from the board here - Rays54. He hooked me up with a few bats AND Aroldis Chapman's GU AFL Hat!

Headed back over to Salt River for Minor League practice and got the following GU Bats signed:

Jose Rivera
Joey Wong
Mark Tracy
Mike Zuanich
Delta Cleary

Just missed David Christensen and never saw Joseph Sanders.

Did get to talk to Nolan Arenado for a few minutes between innings.

From there, back across town to Surprise for the Rangers afternoon practice before they headed to Salt River for their night game with the Rockies.

Picked up Mitch Moreland and Steve Busby graphs. And then got Nolan Ryan on the hat I've been trying to get done for the last few years.

Got Ian Kinsler on my artwork and headed out to watch Yu Darvish pitch against the Rockies @ Salt River.

Took lots of pictures (again - pics will be posted shortly) and then back to the hotel to reset for the next day.

- Smitty