PDA

View Full Version : Ebayer Flipsyr - King Of Bogus Football Helmets

aeneas01
02-27-2012, 12:46 AM
i've posted about this character before, but that was when he was peddling his goofy homemade helmets for a couple of hundred bucks a pop, helmets that he described as authentic gamers. however flipsyr has since ratcheted things a notch by picking up authentic vintage helmets on ebay and turning them into nfl look-alikes - look-alikes that have been fetching over $1,000 each.

his m.o. used to be pretty simple: he would cobble together crude, homemade suspension units and glue them into modern helmets shells, complete with faux rivets. the result was a goofy mess but apparently good enough to fool inexperienced collectors. well now he has a new m.o. which is proving much more lucrative: purchasing authentic vintage gamers and dressing them up as nfl helmets from yesteryear - for good measure he adds artificial wear, often takes a stab at engraving the manufacturer's logo into the striping on the rear of the helmet to make folks think the striping was factory installed and, last but not least, he also cuts holes into the striping to expose the rivets to further fool folks into believing the striping was factory installed, hence authentic.

here are three of his recent ebay fakes - the redskins helmet sold for $1,425, the saints helmet sold for $1,452 and the patriots helmet is currently listed with a bin/bo price of $1,500..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/003.jpg

here's a look at the back of the saints helmet that sold for $1,400 - note the amateurish stab at trying to reproduce the manufacturer's heat-stamped logo on top of the stripes. as i mentioned, this is done to fool folks into believing that this was done at the factory, i.e. that the helmet is authentic. also included are other examples of flpsyr's "heat-stamp" work.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/004.jpg

here's a look at what he's shooting for:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/005.jpg

here's a before-and-after look at a few of the better fakes flpsyr has sold on ebay - to the left is how the helmet looked when he purchased it on ebay months earlier, to the right is what it looked like after he was done with it. all are actual examples of his handiwork except for the last one, the redskins helmet. in this case flpsyr purchased a vintage washington state helmet from an ebayer who has sold a dozen+ during the last few years - in fact the photo to the left of the redskins helmet is one of washington state helmets the ebayer sold, very similar to the one flpsyr used.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/001-1.jpg

last but not least, a host of other fakes described as authentic that flpsyr has sold on ebay through the years:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/002-2.jpg

Jeffredsfan
02-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Damn!

cohibasmoker
02-27-2012, 07:07 AM
The Redskins helmet recently sold as did the Saints helmet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RIDDELL-ORIGINAL-RK2-RARE-HUSKY1969-WASHINGTON-REDSKINS-GAME-USED-/170773667897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c2e76039

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item27c3839729&item=170783905577&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=Jtxj%252FR3r2%252BmHF6WgWEGDbIg9hu8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And this one is currently on eBay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RIDDELL-ORIGINAL-TK2-RARE-1960S-AFL-BOSTON-PATRIOTS-GAME-USED-/170791678803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c3fa3353

Jim

tom1315
02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Robert, for me and I am confident for others too on this forum, thank you for helping keep our passion for collecting gamers true and clean of fakes. This continued manufacturing of fake gamers will taint a person's desire if he or she knows they have been 'burned.'

Education is key and with any purchase one must do their homework and ask the right questions.

Thank you Robert!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

halzeus
02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Robert,

I'm glad to see you posting again. The information you provide is priceless.

punch
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Great thread!!! Learn something new every day.

Skizzick
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Good work. It certainly helps to keep the integrity of the hobby when you can call people out. However, it is on all of us to report this fraud to ebay and see that he gets removed.

commando
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Robert's records and photo libraries are second to none... He's just amazing.

Shipp_96
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Wow, unreal and sickening. Thank you Robert for the invaluable information. I thought they looked real! I try to buy direct from the teams or schools for this very reason.

As for reporting to ebay, I myself have seen fake NAVY and PSU "worn" helmets being sold, wrote the buyer and informed ebay. Nothing was done, the auctions were sold (thankfully for very low amounts, like less than a replica retail helmet amounts) and it just made me frustrated that people got burnt :mad:.

spartanservitto
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Has anyone reported this guy to eBay ?!? These are federal offenses and he is ripping people off for 1000's. Well done on the information i want to see this guy stop.

-Tony

Vikingshelmetguy
02-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Robert, thank goodness you've issued this alert. I was really hoping you'd post about this... I almost had to avert my eyes when I saw that recent fake Redskins helmet sell for close to $1500... I feel awful for whomever it was that won that auction and paid that much for a bogus Redskins helmet. Tragic.

aeneas01
02-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Robert, thank goodness you've issued this alert. I was really hoping you'd post about this... I almost had to avert my eyes when I saw that recent fake Redskins helmet sell for close to $1500... I feel awful for whomever it was that won that auction and paid that much for a bogus Redskins helmet. Tragic.
i think it's flipsyr's sheer audacity that bothers me the most - he's so prolific at ripping people off because he's been allowed to get away with it for so long, his comfort level is blatant and unsettling. as if to further turn up his nose at the notion of any repercussion, he also openly sells the same nfl decals and helmet parts that he uses on his fakes. over a year ago i challenged him in an email and he responded that those that are complaining are making too much out of it - i kid you not. now that he's bilking unsuspecting buyers out of thousands of dollars per transaction instead of hundreds, maybe he'll finally draw the attention of those that can put him out of business - we'll see.

island_style
02-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Robert,

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us. Your posts are always informative and educational.

It's amazing that this seller can modify the helmets and misrepresent them on eBay without getting banned, let alone face any criminal charges.

In any event, my thanks to you for your willingness to share your expertise on football helmets (not only the ones by the Subject seller).

Kind Regards,

Ron.

aeneas01
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Robert, for me and I am confident for others too on this forum, thank you for helping keep our passion for collecting gamers true and clean of fakes. This continued manufacturing of fake gamers will taint a person's desire if he or she knows they have been 'burned.'

Education is key and with any purchase one must do their homework and ask the right questions.

Thank you Robert!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate
tom - not only do fakes undermine the faith in collectors, especially those considering breaking into the hobby, but fakes also diminish the value of the rare pieces many of us have in our collections. for example, mears recently auctioned an extremely rare 1969 saints helmet - the thing was an absolute gem and the type of item that only surfaces once in a blue moon. within the next couple of weeks the ebay snot, flipsyr, listed a fake look-alike on ebay, claiming that it was authentic. for those that saw both helmets and believed in the fake's authenticity, they would most likely be left with the impression that this type of helmet isn't as rare as it truly is. in short, fakes dilute the true rarity of unique collectibles and by extension their value.

NEFAN
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22619&highlight=Gino+Cappaletti

Is this the same helmet forger?

xpress34
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=22619&highlight=Gino+Cappaletti

FWIW (and I'm not a football guy - but I like a good bad guy bashing) I found this photo on Google tha actually shows Capaletti in the background in his REAL 1960 Boston helmet...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2573/3997858657_79458309e9_o.jpg

- Smitty

gaytorhater703
02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Someone should take the time to invite everyone on his buyer list to this forum and direct them to this thread

aeneas01
02-28-2012, 05:24 PM

no, different guy - the guy who put together the capp helmet is someone to watch out for to be sure, but he isn't nearly as prolific as flipsyr - his fakes are better than flipsyr's as well....

Jules9
03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Reporting this guy to Ebay will probably accomplish nothing but trying to contact the authorities that have been involved with the recent memorabilia investigations may be a better idea.

yosef777
03-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Great work as usual Robert!
A few years ago this guy bought one of my reproduction, clear shell helmets, an Ol Miss Rebels I think. I clearly listed it as a repo in the auction which Flipsyr won for a few hundred dollars. He then turned around and flipped (pun intended) it. Relisting and claiming it was team issued and received double the money. I contacted ebay (who did nothing to my knowledge) and I also contacted the winning buyer who ended up getting some financial retribution from Flipsyr when confronted with his scam. BTW, Flipsyr now keeps his auctions private to avoid this type of retribution.

aeneas01
03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
yep, shady ebayers always love it when you drop them a line to let them know that you're onto their bogus operation - a love note to me from the ebayer in question:

------------------------------------

NOW LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING MR. CRAP FOR BRAINS FOR ONE THING YOU SAID THINGS ABOUT HELMETS I SOLD THAT WERE NEVER IN YOUR POSSESION. AND BECAUSE YOU COMPARED A PICTURE OR TWO DOES NOT MAKE IT SO. YOU MENTION MY REDSKINS HELMET, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE STARTING BID WAS ON IT? ONLY $9.00 STARTING BID WITH NO RESERVE. SO NOBODY GOT RIPPED OFF, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR STUPID OPINION IS.DO THE MATH STUPID. JUST LIKE MANY PEOPLE WHO SELL THINGS AT A STARTING BID. SO IF PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BID AND PURCHASE THAT'S THEIR CHOICE. I DON'T TELL CURTIS WHAT PRICE TO SELL THINGS FOR EITHER. THERE AR HELMETS ON HIS SIGHT WHO'S TO SAY WERE THEY CAME FROM MR.EXPERT, DID YOU HAPPEN TO SEE THE PRICES THAT HE'S ASKING FOR THEM. THE MORE HE GETS FINE THAT'S HIS BUSINESS. ALSO YOU BRING UP THE 49ER HELMET THE ONE I SOLD AND THE BUYER TOTALLY HAPPY FOR PURCHASING IT FOR $199.00 IS NOT THE HELMET THAT HELMET HUT DID I STILL HAVE THAT ONE. POSSESION IS 9/10 OF THE LAW YOU HAVE NOTHING. YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FINAL ANALYSIS IS? I DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER TO YOU. YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A MOUTH PIECE STIRRING UP TROUBLE AND E-BAY SEE'S YOU AS A DO NOTHING BY YOUR PROFILE. AND DON'T FORGET TWO CAN PLAY YOUR GAME PAL.

- flipsyr

guess that will show me! ha ha!

commando
03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Well, the guy got one thing right... Robert IS Mr. Expert.

yosef777
03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Yes indeed, Robert knows his stuff and is very generous with his knowledge hopefully flipsry won't heed too much of his advice: )
I have to say that the rant of flipsyr is hilarious, if not completely off base (possession is 9/10 of the law?!?). Robert never questioned his ownership, only his integrity. I guess the strategy is to go on the offensive when you are called on questionable ethics (polite terminiology : ) Somebody please tell flipsyr to try another defence, maybe deny, deny, deny...a.k.a. "I did not have sexual relations...".

Shipp_96
03-03-2012, 10:03 PM
yep, shady ebayers always love it when you drop them a line to let them know that you're onto their bogus operation - a love note to me from the ebayer in question:

NOW LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING MR. CRAP FOR BRAINS FOR ONE THING YOU SAID THINGS ABOUT HELMETS I SOLD THAT WERE NEVER IN YOUR POSSESION. AND BECAUSE YOU COMPARED A PICTURE OR TWO DOES NOT MAKE IT SO. YOU MENTION MY REDSKINS HELMET, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE STARTING BID WAS ON IT? ONLY $9.00 STARTING BID WITH NO RESERVE. SO NOBODY GOT RIPPED OFF, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR STUPID OPINION IS.DO THE MATH STUPID. JUST LIKE MANY PEOPLE WHO SELL THINGS AT A STARTING BID. SO IF PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BID AND PURCHASE THAT'S THEIR CHOICE. I DON'T TELL CURTIS WHAT PRICE TO SELL THINGS FOR EITHER. THERE AR HELMETS ON HIS SIGHT WHO'S TO SAY WERE THEY CAME FROM MR.EXPERT, DID YOU HAPPEN TO SEE THE PRICES THAT HE'S ASKING FOR THEM. THE MORE HE GETS FINE THAT'S HIS BUSINESS. ALSO YOU BRING UP THE 49ER HELMET THE ONE I SOLD AND THE BUYER TOTALLY HAPPY FOR PURCHASING IT FOR $199.00 IS NOT THE HELMET THAT HELMET HUT DID I STILL HAVE THAT ONE. POSSESION IS 9/10 OF THE LAW YOU HAVE NOTHING. YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE FINAL ANALYSIS IS? I DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER TO YOU. YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A MOUTH PIECE STIRRING UP TROUBLE AND E-BAY SEE'S YOU AS A DO NOTHING BY YOUR PROFILE. AND DON'T FORGET TWO CAN PLAY YOUR GAME PAL.

- flipsyr

guess that will show me! ha ha!

ILL WRITTEN, MIS SPELED (:D) ALL CAPS RESPONSES ALWAYS SCARE ME BECAUSE IT SHOWS A LACK OF INTELLIGENCE!

slats7
03-03-2012, 11:32 PM
"Sure they're fake, but I listed them at a low price, so that makes it alright!" :rolleyes:

jppopma
03-04-2012, 08:38 AM
The buyers were "totally happy" with their helmets and prices...until Robert gets ahold of them and explains they wasted their money on fakes.

Good work and nice to see you back on here Robert.

Bob Gengler
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Always have wondered about this guy. Glad to see this thread. Thanks.

cohibasmoker
02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
He has sold a lot of helmets and has many a happy customers. Unfortunately, I fear that those helmets will be making their way back into the hobby. It reminds me of back in the 1980's when Angels and Dodgers knit jerseys were getting out of the back door at Goodman and Sons.

Just an opinion,

Jim

AKSaint
01-06-2014, 06:37 AM
He is back with a vengeance... Any Packers collectors have thoughts on this offering by Flipsyr?

ORIGINAL VINTAGE 1960'S RIDDELL TK-2 GREEN BAY PACKERS HELMET #34

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-VINTAGE-1960S-RIDDELL-TK-2-GREEN-BAY-PACKERS-HELMET-34-/161190779780?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item2587b81b84

Just curious.

Bob

sportsnbikes
01-07-2014, 09:13 PM
I would've never thought any different on these helmets.

Now, I also wouldn't buy them either for that exact same reason. I just can't tell and unless something has very good provenance or a photomatch or something that leaves no doubt in my mind then I am out.