PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Year Tags?

Eric
10-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey gang-

Here's a specific and odd question.

What years (in recent history- last 10 years or so) did the Yankees use year tags on the home and away jerseys?

The reason I ask is- I got a Yankees jersey which is said to be from 2002? The other Yankese shirts in my collection from 2002 have a year tag. Does this make sense? Could some players have them and others don't? Or is this from a different year?
Here's a crappy pic of the tagging
Can anyone help?
Eric

suave1477
10-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Hello Eric, I have seen many Yankees Jerseys but I never seen one with out the Year tag. I am not saying its not real and by judging by your picture it looks like it has a Steiner hologram, so indeed I am sure it is a real Yankees Jersey, I would say its possible that it's a manufaturers error, but as we all know in this hobby anything is possible.

sportscentury
10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Eric,

In 2002 and 2004, some real Yankees jerseys had year tags and some did not. I have been told that the majority of Yankee 2002 shirts actually did not have a year tag.

At one time, Ron Fukushima (California Sports Investments) had a nice photo on his website of AROD from 2004 with the front shirt-tail out, showing the tagging (no year tag was on the shirt).

Best,
Reid

sportscentury
10-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Eric,

Also, I would suggest contacting Keith Vari at Lelands. He has always been very friendly and helpful to collectors and will likely be happy to answer your question. I don't know of anyone who knows modern Yankees uniforms and equipment better than Keith.

Reid

suave1477
10-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Eric well what did Steiner say when you called them?

Eric
10-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Reid

Thanks. Do you have an email for Mr. Vari?
Eric

Eric
10-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Eric well what did Steiner say when you called them?

Jason-

I have an email in to them, asking if some of their other 2002 road jerseys don't have year tags.

If you're suggesting that I should have called them before posting on the site- please re-read my question. The question asked fellow users if they knew about Yankees year tags. I never called the item or Steiner into question. I didn't even mention who the jersey was from.

Eric

suave1477
10-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Jason-

I have an email in to them, asking if some of their other 2002 road jerseys don't have year tags.

If you're suggesting that I should have called them before posting on the site- please re-read my question. The question asked fellow users if they knew about Yankees year tags. I never called the item or Steiner into question. I didn't even mention who the jersey was from.

Eric

Eric I know you never called the item, but you questioned the tagging correct? So my point is why not just ask the source directly? As far as you not mention who it is from, its pretty obivious we call see the hologram in the picture.

Eric
10-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Jason-

If you really would like me to justify whyI asked the question, I'll take you through it.

1) I have seen many Yankees jerseys myself, but didn't want to make any assumptions about the tagging. Perhaps it was well known to others that some 2002 jerseys have year tags and some don't

2) I thought others might be able to benefit from this information

Eric

JETEFAN
10-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Eric,

As Reid suggested I would contact Keith Vari. As I have stated in recent posts, Steiner does not have a clue as to product information. They couldn't tell you if something was used by Mickey Mantle or Mickey Mouse !! We are just suppose to believe that if it comes from them, it is what they tell you...NOT!!!!!!

George

sportscentury
10-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Reid

Eric

Eric,

I will contact Keith and ask him if it is all right for me to pass his email along to you (I'm sure he'll say yes). If it were his Lelands email address (which I don't have, but I think used to be Keith@lelands.com before he went to Grey Flannel), then it would be no problem. But I have his private email and I always check with a person before giving away any private contact info.

Reid

sportscentury
10-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Eric,

As Reid suggested I would contact Keith Vari. As I have stated in recent posts, Steiner does not have a clue as to product information. They couldn't tell you if something was used by Mickey Mantle or Mickey Mouse !! We are just suppose to believe that if it comes from them, it is what they tell you...NOT!!!!!!

George

I have to agree with George about this. I don't think it would hurt to call them, but you need to ask someone who has real knowledge, like Keith.

Reid

sportscentury
10-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Jason-

If you really would like me to justify whyI asked the question, I'll take you through it.

1) I have seen many Yankees jerseys myself, but didn't want to make any assumptions about the tagging. Perhaps it was well known to others that some 2002 jerseys have year tags and some don't

2) I thought others might be able to benefit from this information

Eric

Eric,

You are an endlessly patient and polite man. Hats off to you - I really don't know how you do it.

Reid

suave1477
10-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Some people here are so funny!!! Amazing!!

Eric the point being made is I understand the question that you asking. I am just saying Steiner is a very reliable source since they deal with the Yankees Game Used items directly so why not ask them? I am not saying they are the end all be all but they are a good place to start!!!

Eric
10-02-2006, 11:53 AM

Eric the point being made is I understand the question that you asking. I am just saying Steiner is a very reliable source since they deal with the Yankees Game Used items directly so why not ask them? I am not saying they are the end all be all but they are a good place to start!!!

I did ask them. Considering I opened the package on sunday night and today is a holiday, it's likely i won't get a response until tomorrow, which is totally fine.

In the meantime I figured I'd tap into the resources here,

Eric

bat_master
10-02-2006, 11:56 AM

Why is that funny or amazing? If everyone went directly to the source every time then no information would ever be shared and this forum would be completely pointless.

I think if a person has a question (so long as they go about it in the correct way) I see no problem with them posting their question here. I really had no idea that was a Steiner hologram on that jersey in the first place since I've never owned a piece of Steiner material. I'm sure I'm also not the only one that couldn't tell that was a Steiner hologram.

Seriously, if people didn't post the questions they had on here and went directly to the source every time then what would this forum consist of?

Tim Byington
tim@tjsportsmn.com

trsent
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Hello Eric, I have seen many Yankees Jerseys but I never seen one with out the Year tag. I am not saying its not real and by judging by your picture it looks like it has a Steiner hologram, so indeed I am sure it is a real Yankees Jersey, I would say its possible that it's a manufaturers error, but as we all know in this hobby anything is possible.

Jason, I would suggest you get facts straight before you post. I do not know what expert information you are offering when based on history, your facts are not accurate.

In 2001 and 2002, the norm for Yankees jerseys is to not have a year tag. Very few have a year tag. In 2000, 2003 and 2004 the norm is to have a year tag.

Enough said.

Eric
10-02-2006, 12:26 PM
For educational purposes, I'll post pics of a 2002 Road Yankees jersey with year tag and a better one of my new one without.

Eric

trsent
10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Why is that funny or amazing? If everyone went directly to the source every time then no information would ever be shared and this forum would be completely pointless.

I think if a person has a question (so long as they go about it in the correct way) I see no problem with them posting their question here. I really had no idea that was a Steiner hologram on that jersey in the first place since I've never owned a piece of Steiner material. I'm sure I'm also not the only one that couldn't tell that was a Steiner hologram.

Seriously, if people didn't post the questions they had on here and went directly to the source every time then what would this forum consist of?

Tim Byington
tim@tjsportsmn.com

Tim, I do not know why Eric was questioned because all he did was post a photo and ask for help with a jersey that is in his possession. Someone mentioned that it had a Steiner hologram, which I didn't even notice when I first saw the photo.

Eric did nothing wrong, he didn't say the jersey was fake, altered or not genuine. He just asked for opinions of the tag, which is completely legitimate. Someone doubted him for not contacting Steiner first, which was really odd since no one but him knew the item was from Steiner.

sportscentury
10-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Reid

Eric

Eric,

I just forwarded you Keith's response in which he offered his email and personal cell phone number for you to call him. Let me know if you don't receive it.

This is the type of quick, helpful response that the hobby has seen from Keith for many years. It is nice to see.

Reid

Eric
10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
A forum user sent me this information

----------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the story with post 2000 Yankees Russell jerseys.

2000- usually "Y0" year tag or sometimes "2000" year tag
2001- usually no year tag at all, AL 100th patch
2002- usually no year tag at all
2003- usually "2003" year tag, 100th Yankee patch
2004- usually "2004" year tag

(when I say usually, I mean 90% or more)
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is even more reason to participate in the tagging contest- a database of this stuff would be incredible
Eric

suave1477
10-02-2006, 03:14 PM

Tim Byington
tim@tjsportsmn.com

Tim I wasnt referrring to Eric when I made that people are funny comment, so if your going to respond please know what your responding too.

BernBabyBern
05-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Eric (Moderator).
Can you please shoot me an e-mail?
Thanks.
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com