PDA

View Full Version : Alabama game jersey tag - is this legit or no?

Preston
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey guys-

Got a question about someone locally (well, to me) who has what they believe is an Alabama game worn football jersey.

Here is a pic of the front and the tag - NO name on back. Numbers are screened but it's not the cheap, cheap screening if that makes sense. Almost like they're ironed on (they very well may be)

Is this legit or should I steer clear?

Thanks in advance!

Preston
02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
ALSO the guy has a Rutgers game jersey - I took pics of it about a week ago - the "R" for Russell is sewn, everything else is not. Is it a fancy retail or an old school game jersey? Still learning about non-local college teams!

Preston
02-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Anyone have anything? This guy really wants to know one way or the other today if I am interested. If anyone has any insight it'd be hugely appreciated! :)

genius
02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
It passes the "eyeball test", correct shade of red, correct font and size of the numbers, looks like a proper Russell tag. I'm no expert though!

G1X
02-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Preston,

I am stating no opinion on the red #20 jersey in your photos, but here is a bit of information that might be useful.

The jersey in your photos is from the time period of 1977/78 to 1983 based on the style of Russell tagging. Alabama jerseys from that era should not have sleeve numbers (can't see the sleeves in your photos). Alabama started putting the players' names on the back of jerseys around 1982, so the absence of a nameplate should not cause concern. Also, no reason to be alarmed about the size being indicated by lettering (M) instead of being a numbered size.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Preston
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey Mark - thanks VERY much for the insight - this did have sleeve numbers but I forgot to take pics of that. Does that mean it would be not real, or is there anything else I should know?

And would you have any insight on the Rutgers jersey at all?

G1X
02-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Preston,

I provided you with information about Alabama jerseys. That's all I can say or do. It's up to you to perform your own due dilligence and decide whether to pursue the jersey.

The difficulty with this style of jersey is that a lot of teams wear/wore red jerseys with white numbers (and white jerseys with red numbers). Trying to figure out the team when there are no distinct features (such as a name-on-back) can make it nearly impossible in many cases to determine if it is a high school jersey, a college team, the local semi-pro team, etc.

I am unable to help on the Rutgers jersey as I have no experience in collecting their jerseys

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Preston
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Mark - that helps a ton! I just wasn't sure if the numbers on sleeves would be a complete dealbreaker.