PDA

View Full Version : What area has ebay hurt most?

mjkm90
12-09-2005, 07:15 AM
What area of vintage baseball items have been negatively impacted by ebay from a value perspective? Here is my list.

-Non-HOFer store model gloves post 1940 (exceptions: extreme high quality and or scarcity)
-Baseball games post 1930
-Pennants post 1950
-Generic vintage team photos (exceptions: those containing outstaning equipment and or awards)

Comments or additions?

stlbats
12-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I believe ebay has hurt almost all areas of collecting with the exception of finding the occasional good deal. Any items that are hot go for a decent amount but most other items sell for nothing.

Thanks

Jason

Swoboda4
12-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Then there's the aspect that E-bay has allowed all the "attic" finds from disinterested family members to go on sale and be available instead of being thrown out or taken by antique shops. E-bay hurts when its seen as an opportunity to sell fakes-but thats true for a lot of topics on E-bay not just game used items. Mostly,I think,E-bay is a 24hr baseball card show without an entry fee- a lot of fun mostly. And like a real card show you have to be carefull.

trsent
12-10-2005, 01:01 AM
I remember when I used to drive from town to town going to baseball card shows (and later Beanie Babies shows) with pockets full of cash. During the Chicago Bulls first Championships drives, I would start Friday night in Dayton, OH and by the end of the weekend I would be in Youngstown, OH. I started out bringing $5000.00 with me, but they really hatted Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant in that state, so by the end of my tours I would often bring as much as $20,000.00 with me. I almost always drove home broke, which was a good thing.

I think eBay has hurt many card shops (now that I am out of that business) as they have made it so people can buy unopened boxes for wholesale prices. I know my old retail store buys inventory on eBay, but once a customer buys once on there, why would they come back to visit us?

I miss the days when you could go to a card show and not hear, "Well, I can get $75.00 for it on eBay".

One day I'll post about the Beanie Babies shows. Look at it this way, some of those people were the kings of all idiots (new money often gets greedy) but I will tell you, by the end of the craze, my bank was getting uptight that I was in need of about $50 - $100 thousand a week in cash just to spend on Beanies.