PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton Jersey Authenticated to 5 Games, Including WS

frikativ54
02-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Since there seem to be lots of Ranger fans on this board, I thought I would share the following from MLB.com Auctions: Josh Hamilton World Series Jersey (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=176150892&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=176497602).

Although the starting bid is $4,000, the jersey is a collector's dream, as it is authenticated to five separate games, including two World Series competitions with St. Louis.

I'm curious as to what kind of value fans will put on this jersey, given Josh Hamilton's latest lapse in his battle to keep sober.

Any thoughts?

rdeversole
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
If I had some extra dough right now, I'd seriously consider bidding. His personal life is his business not mine.

yanks12025
02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Actually I think his personal life would play a huge part. Because say he slipped again and again and got back into drugs and drinking alot. Next thing you know, he's out of the game for good. So then what would the jersey be worth?

slam
02-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Actually I think his personal life would play a huge part. Because say he slipped again and again and got back into drugs and drinking alot. Next thing you know, he's out of the game for good. So then what would the jersey be worth?

Even if he didn't slip again it's not like he's going to be a Hall of Famer. 10 years after he retires he'll be nothing more than a good player and you'll never be able to get $4k back. Just my opinion.

David
02-14-2012, 04:19 AM
I think it's a matter of how his troubles effect his production and playing time. I don't think an isolated lapse is a problem. I also don't equate it with a scandal.

David
02-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Too much drinking and partying can shorten a career, whether or not you're an alcoholic.

nickacs
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Even if he didn't slip again it's not like he's going to be a Hall of Famer. 10 years after he retires he'll be nothing more than a good player and you'll never be able to get $4k back. Just my opinion.

+1... I would love to get a WS jersey of a "star" player, but $4k for Hamilton is just plain stupid. More like $1k starting bid is more like it. Not sure how MLB came up with that starting bid of $4k?! :rolleyes: Pa-leeze!

Would've bid if it started a lot lower, but at $4k, if your a collector that loves Hamilton, it's a grail for your collection

frikativ54
02-14-2012, 01:16 PM

I'm curious how much currency Hamilton's story will have 20 years from now. Only being in my twenties, I don't have much firsthand historical knowledge of how these things play out, as I don't remember what baseball was like before 1993. Will Hamilton's story be forgotten?

joelsabi
02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm curious how much currency Hamilton's story will have 20 years from now. Only being in my twenties, I don't have much firsthand historical knowledge of how these things play out, as I don't remember what baseball was like before 1993. Will Hamilton's story be forgotten?

Well I wasn't around to see Mickey Mantle play but I had the interest to know about his career and have read some of his biographies. Mantle is the person that remind me most of Hamilton. Both suffered from Alcoholism as you know.

The difference as I see it is being Mantle started his career while still drinking and continued until it caught up with him. Mantle received little or no professional help from his organization. Mantle is considered the best player of his era. Mantle played physically hard and was injured often. But Mantle also hit the magic 500 mark for home runs to solidify his HOF status. Playing for the Yanks doesnt hurt either.

On the other hand, Hamilton started his career later because of his alcoholism. It stymied his life. Hamilton is considered one of the best players in MLB today. He is currently receiving help for his alcoholism so this is a big difference from Mantle. But it seems unlikely that Hamilton will have the career stats to have a HOF career. In this sense he reminds me of Dave Parker but Parker's vice was cocaine which cause a suspension from the game and not obtaining his full potential to have HOF players like stats.

Both Mantle's and Hamilton's story are very interesting as people can relate to it. Every person out there knows someone who has abuse alcohol so I think it is safe to say that people will remember him. It's the tragedy of the great God given talent that is not fulfilled that gets people's attention. I think Hamilton will be remembered more if he becomes sober again as it means he was not defeated by alcohol and that is why many fans root for Hamilton now.

onlyalbert
02-14-2012, 08:34 PM
+1... I would love to get a WS jersey of a "star" player, but $4k for Hamilton is just plain stupid. More like $1k starting bid is more like it. Not sure how MLB came up with that starting bid of $4k?! :rolleyes: Pa-leeze!

Would've bid if it started a lot lower, but at $4k, if your a collector that loves Hamilton, it's a grail for your collection

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=48455

Did you see the prices of the jerseys from the Cardinals after the WS? All of the big name players were at auction. The lessor names were sold in the team store at the Winter Warm Up. I know for a fact the Freese and Carp jerserys were matched to the NLCS and some WS games.

frikativ54
02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=48455

Did you see the prices of the jerseys from the Cardinals after the WS? All of the big name players were at auction. The lessor names were sold in the team store at the Winter Warm Up. I know for a fact the Freese and Carp jerserys were matched to the NLCS and some WS games.

Interesting; I had forgotten about that thread. Looks like the Cards jerseys went for comparable prices and were authenticated as team issued. The Rangers jerseys seem like a better value relatively, because they were authenticated to five games, including two from the WS.

My question was specifically regarding the value of the Hamilton, given his career trajectory and substance abuse issues. I'm curious how the next generation will see Josh, his story, and his playing career - if they even take notice at all. When I think Mantle, I don't think about his alcoholism, but that's just me.

cliffjmp33
02-15-2012, 12:01 AM
And miscategorized under GU baseballs, but Hamilton's Game 1 jersey is up starting at $3,500.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=176545368&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=176892078

frikativ54
02-21-2012, 06:55 AM
And miscategorized under GU baseballs, but Hamilton's Game 1 jersey is up starting at $3,500.

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=176545368&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=176892078

Both Hamilton jerseys were purchased - by the same bidder. I would love to have an extra $7,500 floating around. :eek:

Fnazxc0114
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
I hope hamilton prices hold up. I plan to sell all my hamilton stuff this year.

frikativ54
02-24-2012, 06:02 PM

If you get out of collecting altogether, there's a bat of yours that I want. ;)

ncbadges
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM

I PM'ed you about it when you mentioned it earlier but never heard back from you. I am definitely interested in your collection.

ncbadges@embarqmail.com

Fnazxc0114
02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
ncbadges, I plan to send the stuff to an auction house. I have very little desire to take a bunch of pics of my stuff and sell it myself. I have no problems letting the market set the price.

frikativ54
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
ncbadges, I plan to send the stuff to an auction house. I have very little desire to take a bunch of pics of my stuff and sell it myself. I have no problems letting the market set the price.

Let me know when you auction off the Smoak bat. I'll be all over it. :D

frikativ54
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
There's another Hamilton World Series jersey on MLB.com Auctions:

Josh Hamilton Road Grey Jersey (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=177177717&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=177524427).

Sounds like they authenticated quite a few jerseys of Josh.

-Frik

onlyalbert
02-28-2012, 11:36 PM
There's another Hamilton World Series jersey on MLB.com Auctions:

Josh Hamilton Road Grey Jersey (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=177177717&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=177524427).

Sounds like they authenticated quite a few jerseys of Josh.

-Frik

Am I correct that this jersey is from a game from June? Never seen a hologram number like that.

frikativ54
02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Am I correct that this jersey is from a game from June? Never seen a hologram number like that.

June and WS Game Two:

Session Name: TEX AT CLE
Session Date: June 05, 2011
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

Session Name: 2011 WORLD SERIES GAME 2 RANGERS @ CARDINALS
Session Date: October 20, 2011
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

-Frik

ncbadges
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM

I recently picked up a WS bat of his with a simular number.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/ncbadges/2011WSbatCERT.jpg

ncbadges
02-29-2012, 02:23 PM
similar...where's the edit button when you need it? :D

frikativ54
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Looks like the same buyer purchased all three Hamilton WS jerseys. Somebody has deep pockets. :eek: