PDA

View Full Version : Riddell Helmet Vsr-1 Vs Vsr4

BO34
02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey everybody, quick Riddell Helmet question....Does anybody know when they started making Riddell VSR-4 helmets, I know the VSR-1 came out in 1988, wasn't sure if VSR-4 came out sooner after?

Thanks,

Mike
BOJACKSON34@LIVE.COM

ALways looking for BO JACKSON game used Los Angeles Raider items

John in KY
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
VSR-4s were later; I'm not sure of the actual date but I'm thinking early 1990s (could be as early as 1990, could be as late as 1992). When the VSR-1 came out it had the inflated cells in the back of the helmet and WD-1 style padding in the crown and front. Riddell also brought out the VSR-3 model at the same time as the VSR-1; the VSR-3 was all inflated except for the forehead pad. The VSR-3 was the replacement for the M-155; the big change for the VSR-3 was the elmination of any liquid-filled padding cells still used in the M-155 (which went back to the 60s/70s Micro-Fit variation) - plus they now covered all the pads with white vinyl unstead of clear vinyl.

I don't think they renamed the AF-2 model; I believe Riddell just changed from the clear-covered crown/side pads from the M-155 to the white covered crown/side pads of the VSR-3.

VSR-4s had a different padding system for the back and crown; actually if you look at an original Revolution and even the Revo Speed "Classic" model Riddell uses a variation of the VSR-4 padding but sized to fit the new shells.

John in KY
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
VSR-4s had a different padding system for the back and crown; actually if you look at an original Revolution and even the Revo Speed "Classic" model Riddell uses a variation of the VSR-4 padding but sized to fit the new shells.

Since you can't edit - addendum to this statement: the original (non-IQ) Revolutions do have a padding system that looks very similar to the VSR-4. That Revo Speed Classic is somewhat similar but not nearly as close to the VSR-4 as I thought it was.

BO34
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks John, I appreciate the info. One day I will have a game used Bo Jackson Raider helmet.

Mike
Email BOJACKSON34@LIVE.com
Always looking for Bo Jackson Game used Game Worn equipment.

ferro39
10-17-2015, 12:42 PM
sorry to bring up an old thread, but would anyone know the general time frame that a Vsr-3 helmet would have been used by a college team?